Best audiophile headphones for gaming? 300$~

Meme Man

Hello everyone, I'm looking for a pair of headphones with a great soundstage that I can pair with my Creative x7 sound blaster, I'm using these headphones solely for gaming so don't really care about the music aspect as I've already got other headphones for music. My budget is around 300~, thanks for any recommendations :)

I would do the new Sennheiser HD 599s. 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sennheiser-hd-599-over-the-ear-headphones-hd-5-brown-ivory-matte-metallic/5701600.p?skuId=5701600

The headphones are open and have a tremendous soundstage for the price. Extremely comfortable for long wearing sessions. 

Hd6xx on massdrop

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

If it's only for pure gaming, AD700X gets my vote. Those things are phenomenal for gaming. They are more towards the treble side, so bass is present but not that much.

EDIT: DT880 is also a good option. 

IMO, spending $300 for headphone just for pure gaming is kinda absurd. If you're looking for overall use, not just for gaming, then it's justified.

Cpu R5 1600 @3.7ghz - MB Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GBx2 @3000mhz - GPU Palit GTX 1070ti Dual - Storage Kingston FuryX 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Green HDD, Seagate 1TB HDD - PSU Seasonic X650 - Case Sharkoon S25-W - Display Zowie XL2411 - Peripherals Filco Ninja Browns, Zowie FK2 & Qck Hyperbeast Ed.

6 hours ago, Meme Man said:

I've already got other headphones for music. My budget is around 300~, thanks for any recommendations :)

Just curious, but what "other headphones for music" do you have? What's your preferred sound signature? More bass? V-shaped sound? Assuming soundstage is king, then yeah, the AD700X would be a good option as it does have a very good soundstage. Just be aware that the AD700X doesn't quite have it in the bass department so don't expect impactful explosions and deep rumble.

I think Beyerdynamic DT880/990 should be given due consideration as well as they sound very open and airy (especially the DT990), can't say much about the DT880 (haven't heard it yet) but it's the most neutral of the old DT series and has good soundstage despite being semi-open (from what I've gathered).

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

12 hours ago, spwath said:

Hd6xx on massdrop

How do these compare for gaming to the K7xx? I have the HD6xx and they definitely don't have the biggest soundstage. fantastic headphones but I gotta believe there is something better specifically for gaming in this price range right?

3 hours ago, kmathieu2220 said:

How do these compare for gaming to the K7xx? I have the HD6xx and they definitely don't have the biggest soundstage. fantastic headphones but I gotta believe there is something better specifically for gaming in this price range right?

I had the K7XX a while ago and found them boring. I believe they are more analytical, with the 650 being more "fun"

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Thanks for all the replies everyone,

@GamerDude I was mainly using my m100's for music since I prefer more bass and had the chance of testing them out before choosing to buy, for the type of music I listen to they sound great.

After doing some more research I've decided to pick up a pair of AKG K712 Pro's ^^

On 12/21/2017 at 8:53 PM, NickTheMajin said:

I would do the new Sennheiser HD 599s. 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sennheiser-hd-599-over-the-ear-headphones-hd-5-brown-ivory-matte-metallic/5701600.p?skuId=5701600

The headphones are open and have a tremendous soundstage for the price. Extremely comfortable for long wearing sessions. 

If anyone is considering these, they are on sale on amazon today for $136 (lowest I have seen for these).https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-599-Open-Headphone/dp/B01L1IICR2