Good headphones for general use (gaming, movies, music) - max budget $120

just_dave

Hello, i have been really mad recently since i got my old crappy genius headset working, but the integrated USB amp is awful (volume > 30% brings audible hum) and they're really uncomfy (the headband makes my head hurt after 30-45 minutes), so i was thinking about buying new headphones.

I can buy majorly from Alza (european) and Amazon.de (western/central europe).

I have seen Audio-Technica ATH Mx with pretty good reviews, does anyone have any experience with them?

Impedance needs to be under 600 ohms but i doubt there are any HPs in that price range with such value.

Thanks a lot!

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

AKG K553 pro's .

I got them on a deal for 118 Euros a while ago. Maybe if you're lucky you can find them for that cheap now. 

They are very neutral (so a nog-go if you are basehead) but they give a very big soundstage for a closed back pair and is good for audio positioning in games. The impedance is low and the pair can be driven from a phone if you want (not that I recommend the sound quality coming from most phones). 

I owned the ATH M50x before the AKG and I prefer the AKG's. They are more neutral, not that bass heavy, more comfortable (for me. your mileage may vary) and are well constructed. 

only downside is that the cable is non removable and very long. I braided my cable. It looks nice and allows me to adjust the length of the cable to my preferences. Also, the cord is also very easy to replace when you are used to tinkering with electronics. So if the chord does break you can easily repair it. 

I have the ATH M50x and they are fantastic, best headphones I have used until you start looking at things that are double your budget. Also, The cable is replaceable which makes the investment much longer lasting.

29 minutes ago, dave_k said:

Hello, i have been really mad recently since i got my old crappy genius headset working, but the integrated USB amp is awful (volume > 30% brings audible hum) and they're really uncomfy (the headband makes my head hurt after 30-45 minutes), so i was thinking about buying new headphones.

I can buy majorly from Alza (european) and Amazon.de (western/central europe).

I have seen Audio-Technica ATH Mx with pretty good reviews, does anyone have any experience with them?

Impedance needs to be under 600 ohms but i doubt there are any HPs in that price range with such value.

Thanks a lot!

how much are the DT770's where you live? i'd recommend them, I have one and they are so comfortable. you can have 32, 80 or 250 ohm versions.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

3 minutes ago, SeanAngelo said:

how much are the DT770's where you live? i'd recommend them, I have one and they are so comfortable. you can have 32, 80 or 250 ohm versions.

They seem bulky as ducc and cost a bit more than M50x. i'll try find some more details.

Comfort is not such an extreme concern, i don't spend 10 hours with headphones on a daily basis.

23 minutes ago, Ansger said:

AKG K553 pro's .

I got them on a deal for 118 Euros a while ago. Maybe if you're lucky you can find them for that cheap now. 

They are very neutral (so a nog-go if you are basehead) but they give a very big soundstage for a closed back pair and is good for audio positioning in games. The impedance is low and the pair can be driven from a phone if you want (not that I recommend the sound quality coming from most phones). 

I owned the ATH M50x before the AKG and I prefer the AKG's. They are more neutral, not that bass heavy, more comfortable (for me. your mileage may vary) and are well constructed. 

only downside is that the cable is non removable and very long. I braided my cable. It looks nice and allows me to adjust the length of the cable to my preferences. Also, the cord is also very easy to replace when you are used to tinkering with electronics. So if the chord does break you can easily repair it. 

Not available here, neither on amazon (only 550s for 140 euros). From the pictures and specs they seem really damn nice.

24 minutes ago, dave_k said:

Not available here, neither on amazon (only 550s for 140 euros). From the pictures and specs they seem really damn nice.

Too bad. maybe keep an eye out for them. Amazon.fr, Amazon.es and Amazon.co.uk may be worth looking at. 

Otherwise: Massdrop sometimes has a deal on them. If it's good enough it may be enough to cover the extra shipping costs (It will take a long time to shop however and you will have to pay import fees and taxes. certainly use a calculator online to see what the total cost will be in that case)

Also, the 550's are goot too. Just a smidge worse than the 553 pros. at 140 euro's they are certainly worth the price but i think there would be better deals to grab. The M50x's should give a comparable sound quality (although more bass heavy) with a detachable cable. If i were to choose between the 550 and the M50x i would choose the M50x (added bonus is that you can skin it via Dbrand)

Edited by Ansger
Missing info

2 minutes ago, Ansger said:

Massdrop sometimes has a deal on them. If it's good enough it may be enough to cover the extra shipping costs (It will take a long time to shop however and you will have to pay import fees and taxes. certainly use a calculator online to see what the total cost will be in that case)

Thats unusable. If they are like 110 with shipping, i have to pay 25% more after taxes (VAT). Not worth it.

I have the Sennheiser Game One headset and it's awesome. No problems so far. Sennheiser has a outlet store online, where you can also get it cheaper. Here is a coupon code if interested: HAPPY2017

3 minutes ago, dave_k said:

@Ansger @dskissel Are ATH M40x good too? Theyre quite a bit cheaper than M50x and seem similiar.

I haven't used the M40X's personally but from what I've read is that you can really notice the difference. It's ofcourse a personal thing if you find it worth it or not but I think the M50x lie in the sweet spot for bang-for your buck (apart from the K553 pro having a better value imo.)

I think it is worth it to pay the extra for the M50x's.

35 minutes ago, Hip said:

I have the Sennheiser Game One headset and it's awesome. No problems so far. Sennheiser has a outlet store online, where you can also get it cheaper. Here is a coupon code if interested: HAPPY2017

Thanks, but hell, they are so expensive

15 hours ago, dave_k said:

Thanks, but hell, they are so expensive

Yeah, but Quality has its price ;-)

My last headset before the Game One was also from Sennheiser and it lastet nearly 9 years..until I tried to open it and destroyed one side :-D

52 minutes ago, alphaproject said:

I just got some Sony MDR Z7. SO GOOD!

they cost nearly $800 lol

What's the price of HD558 there? its an all-rounder headphone at that price imo. Good for music, fun for gaming and also enjoyable for movies. It's an open back headphone tho, so sound will leak in and out of the headphone at normal listening levels.

Cpu R5 1600 @3.7ghz - MB Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GBx2 @3000mhz - GPU Palit GTX 1070ti Dual - Storage Kingston FuryX 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Green HDD, Seagate 1TB HDD - PSU Seasonic X650 - Case Sharkoon S25-W - Display Zowie XL2411 - Peripherals Filco Ninja Browns, Zowie FK2 & Qck Hyperbeast Ed.

Philips shp9500 or sennheiser HD 558 are great budget options

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

On 12/18/2017 at 7:29 AM, Ansger said:

I haven't used the M40X's personally but from what I've read is that you can really notice the difference. It's ofcourse a personal thing if you find it worth it or not but I think the M50x lie in the sweet spot for bang-for your buck (apart from the K553 pro having a better value imo.)

I think it is worth it to pay the extra for the M50x's.

It's funny that you say that because many "experts" would actually pay more to get the M40x over the M50x. Because the M40x is "objectively" better. 

There are plenty of option like AKG K240,ATHM40x,HD 558,PHILLIPS SPH9500 and DT 770s.

Those headphone are BIG So dont wear them in public.

Between those headphone i would just choose the 558 and be done with it.

But its open back so everyone around u can hear what u are listening to.

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

10 hours ago, dave_k said:

they cost nearly $800 lol

Naw man... I paid $425. They were $699 at Best Buy which is ridiculous.

1 hour ago, alphaproject said:

Naw man... I paid $425. They were $699 at Best Buy which is ridiculous.

Ha. I dont live in the US.

They cost $780 here

2 hours ago, Hiya! said:

There are plenty of option like AKG K240,ATHM40x,HD 558,PHILLIPS SPH9500 and DT 770s.

Those headphone are BIG So dont wear them in public.

Between those headphone i would just choose the 558 and be done with it.

But its open back so everyone around u can hear what u are listening to.

Well, the M40x and the HD558 don't look that huge because they fit snug around the head. 

57 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

Well, the M40x and the HD558 don't look that huge because they fit snug around the head. 

I am not gonna wear them in public though

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

5 hours ago, Hiya! said:

I am not gonna wear them in public though

LOL. I live in a place where men wear dirty flame retardant coveralls in restaurants, and it's acceptable to wear pajamas in public. Headphones look rather inoffensive. 

3 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

LOL. I live in a place where men wear dirty flame retardant coveralls in restaurants, and it's acceptable to wear pajamas in public. Headphones look rather inoffensive. 

Wth? :P where the hell did u lives?

Honestly when in public i prefer to wear IEMs

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

11 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

Wth? :P where the hell did u lives?

Honestly when in public i prefer to wear IEMs

Alberta :(