How far can I overclock my 780?

Crunchy Dragon

Hi everyone,

I have a GTX 780 3Gb with the reference cooler and was wondering how far I can overclock it with a 550W PSU. Planning on getting a Core i3-8100 so I should have quite a bit of power to spare for the GPU.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

If it's a reputable branded PSU you should be able to push it quite far, as long as the power supply top remains warm to the touch and not hot you're fine. I used to have my GPU overclocked but I've temporarily underclocked it as I'm not really gaming that often

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

Just now, burnttoastnice said:

If it's a reputable branded PSU you should be able to push it quite far, as long as the power supply top remains warm to the touch and not hot you're fine. I used to have my GPU overclocked but I've temporarily underclocked it as I'm not really gaming that often

It's a CX550M(50W under Nvidia's recommended power limit on their website)

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

What ever you can do till it becomes unstable. Just start with a 50mhz boost and then 25mhz after that till it crashes and then back it down 25. Presto

Stress test inbetween

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

It's a CX550M(50W under Nvidia's recommended power limit on their website)

You should be fine then, if the power supply fan starts to get loud though then bring it down. Keep an eye on temps too! personally I try to keep my system components around 65°C at max load, hotter than that turns the room into a furnace.

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

30 minutes ago, burnttoastnice said:

PSU'S NOT HOT

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD 

Even if the power supply is fine, the power delivery circuitry on the video card may not be up to snuff. For instance, I can't push my EVGA GTX 1080 SC very hard compared to a EVGA GTX 1080 Classified Edition, because the Classified Edition has a more robust power delivery system. So I'm going to run into a power issue on the card before I could reach the GPU's "full" potential, assuming mine is on the high end of the silicon lottery.

Well it being Kepler it will be fine but that would need a bios to really push it. But with that cooler and fresh tim. Should be able to see 1100 easy. Would need max power which I think stops at 108 and max voltage, 1.212 I think. Just get a benchmark and go at it. Also increase by 13's on the core.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

1 hour ago, Mick Naughty said:

Well it being Kepler it will be fine but that would need a bios to really push it. But with that cooler and fresh tim. Should be able to see 1100 easy. Would need max power which I think stops at 108 and max voltage, 1.212 I think. Just get a benchmark and go at it. Also increase by 13's on the core.

Thanks! I did replace the main TIM on the core, but not the VRAM or VRM modules(those are coming next). I'm still entertaining the idea of getting a Corsair HG10 and putting it on water.

6 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Thanks! I did replace the main TIM on the core, but not the VRAM or VRM modules(those are coming next). I'm still entertaining the idea of getting a Corsair HG10 and putting it on water.

Well the pads should be fine. hg10 works pretty well for an aio setup. But the bios is still gonna hold you back quite a bit.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

1 minute ago, Mick Naughty said:

Well the pads should be fine. hg10 works pretty well for an aio setup. But the bios is still gonna hold you back quite a bit.

The card BIOS, you mean? I was planning on doing it through Afterburner, but if it's better to flash the GPU BIOS or whatever I guess I could do that.

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

The card BIOS, you mean? I was planning on doing it through Afterburner, but if it's better to flash the GPU BIOS or whatever I guess I could do that.

If you don't youll be riding the power limit the whole time. Especially while still using the fan, as they draw a lot of power. Could get an acx cooler off ebay if you don't wonna go with the aio right away.

Just now, Mick Naughty said:

If you don't youll be riding the power limit the whole time. Especially while still using the fan, as they draw a lot of power. Could get an acx cooler off ebay if you don't wonna go with the aio right away.

Does the ACX cooler match the reference PCB holes? That thought hadn't occurred to me to buy an aftermarket cooler, but I guess that would be an option. I do prefer blower style coolers though, but I'll keep that in mind.

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Does the ACX cooler match the reference PCB holes? That thought hadn't occurred to me to buy an aftermarket cooler, but I guess that would be an option. I do prefer blower style coolers though, but I'll keep that in mind.

acx is reference. the basic one always has even on the 10 series.

I prefer blower as well. I flashed the bios on all 5 of my titans, 2 of which were the black version(780ti's). Ran a single one at 1,150 with a bit of voltage and max power just because, still sat at 55c I think at 80% fan. Another thing the bios did was unlock the max fan speed as they were all locked to 80%. Idk if they did that to the 780's.

Just now, Mick Naughty said:

acx is reference. the basic one always has even on the 10 series.

I prefer blower as well. I flashed the bios on all 5 of my titans, 2 of which were the black version(780ti's). Ran a single one at 1,150 with a bit of voltage and max power just because, still sat at 55c I think at 80% fan. Another thing the bios did was unlock the max fan speed as they were all locked to 80%. Idk if they did that to the 780's.

Cool, thanks a lot for your help!

Granted mine is an unlocked chip, the locked ones overclock well. I have decent airflow in the case so the temps aren't bad at all for a blower. Prolly could run it at the same overclocks* I do on water and not crash.

Still use this old card on 1440p on bf1, high preset  and still get over 60fps. Just treat it right and it will do what ever you want.

IMG_1401.JPG