White lines on my screen after 30 minutes

Go to solution Solved by userzero,

I'd try another monitor firstly to see if this happens again because I would say RMA your graphics card if it does it on another monitor. The dots is a bit of a GPU artifact warning yeah.

So i built a nee rig and just downloaded windows and the. Started downloading overwatch and when i came back 20isj minutes later my screen looked like https://imgur.com/gallery/AdBBW

i also attached the file, gotta make sure it goes. 

A friend suggested it could be a bad seating or driver. Had to run so haven't tested anything

1213170653_HDR.jpg

Could be artifacting from a bad GPU. Reseat it and if it happens again, return it.

Headphones:

Spoiler

Sony MDR V6 (DT 250 pads), restored 1987 AKG K240M 600ohm (Cosmos pads with dt250 filters), AKG K7XX, Beyerdynamic DT990 pro 250 ohm, Bose Ae2 & Sony MDR v150. All off of a Bravo V2 shuguang tube, Little Dot mkII with GE JAN 5654 tubes, a CEntrance Dacport slim and a UCA222.

PC:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    i7 6700k
  • Motherboard
    Asus Z170s
  • RAM
    Crucial Ballistix (white)
  • GPU
    Asus 1070 Strix OC
  • Case
    Phanteks P400
  • Storage
    Samsung 850 pro, Seagate barracuda 1tb
  • PSU
    Evga G1 650W (regret)
  • Display(s)
    Samsung S22D300 21.5" 1920x1080 60hz 5ms & ASUS PB277Q 27" 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Deepcool Captain 240EX white
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G810
  • Mouse
    Logitech G502
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 (switching to linux soon)

2 minutes ago, Pauleh said:

Could be artifacting from a bad GPU. Reseat it and if it happens again, return it.

What is reseating?

Remove and re-seat the GPU is what he is saying. As you said seating earlier... but I think you meant sitting.

The pic is unclear however... is this a laptop or a monitor?

Probably gaming or helping technophobes with tech...

4 minutes ago, userzero said:

Remove and re-seat the GPU is what he is saying. As you said seating earlier... but I think you meant sitting.

The pic is unclear however... is this a laptop or a monitor?

monitor, so like dissemble and redo the paste? or take it out and replug it? is there a good chance this is a driver or no

Paste? On your GPU cooler? No.

Re-seat is literally removing, sometimes cleaning a bit, and putting the card/device back in.

You'll need to list your full system specs if you want somebody to help you through troubleshooting.

Re-seat your video cable too, both ends. Does the screen flicker/change when you wiggle the cable around when it's on?

5 minutes ago, userzero said:

Paste? On your GPU cooler? No.

Re-seat is literally removing, sometimes cleaning a bit, and putting the card/device back in.

You'll need to list your full system specs if you want somebody to help you through troubleshooting.

Re-seat your video cable too, both ends. Does the screen flicker/change when you wiggle the cable around when it's on?

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($199.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($74.33 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Patriot - Viper Elite 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2800 Memory
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($46.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB Windforce OC Video Card  ($219.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400 TEMPERED GLASS ATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM (2015) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($48.99 @ Amazon)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link - TL-WDN4800 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter  ($39.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $709.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-12-12 23:30 EST-0500

i did that one when trying to get windows to install (turned out to be a corrupted file)

it does a bit, i even switched cables tho and it still showed. whats the chance of it being a driver?

Well you can just try to update the drive, or roll it back within your device manager etc.

If it persists then the monitor has an issue I'll say unless you have another monitor to test your PC with?

3 minutes ago, userzero said:

Well you can just try to update the drive, or roll it back within your device manager etc.

If it persists then the monitor has an issue I'll say unless you have another monitor to test your PC with?

the monitor worked as a second monitor on my laptop for over a year, and like i said this happens after a bit. when i was having issues with windows and left it running i got lines of vertical green dots

I'd try another monitor firstly to see if this happens again because I would say RMA your graphics card if it does it on another monitor. The dots is a bit of a GPU artifact warning yeah.

10 hours ago, userzero said:

thank you for the help, we tried everything suggested and I had someone who knows a bit more about what they are doing in a video call and they were helping and in the end agreed that it was dead. I grabbed a few pictures, Thanks again.