Windows 10, unable to do anything with 2nd storage HDD that was used in Win 7

Mr. Chicken Sandwich

I did a fresh install of Win 10, and I have a 2TB storage HDD that I'm using again from when I had Win 7.

I've done all the permission things to the drive and even the folder and files... nothing works.  It says I need permission from DESKTOP\steve... yet I'm logged in as that.

I even put the user "steve" in the administrators group on the PC... even though it's my local admin account. 

I can't copy files, I can delete, etc... so frustrating.  And yes, I've logged out/in... rebooted, etc...

Can anyone help?  I'm about to go back to Win 7 since this was never an issue.

Thanks!

1.PNG

2.PNG

3.PNG

4.PNG

5.PNG

The problem here is probably that your new install has the same username/device name as the old one. Am I right in thinking that your old Windows 7 machine was called "DESKTOP" and your account was "Steve", the same as your current one?

The confusion here is that Windows is showing you DESKTOP\Steve and you're assuming it's your current user account, when in fact it's likely DESKTOP\Steve account from the previous install. You can confirm by looking at the GUID for the user.

To gain access to your data, open up an admin command prompt and run the following commands.

takeown /f D: /r /d y

icacls D: /reset /c /t

icacls D: /grant Administrators:F /t

You'll get a scary warning with the second command about it creating an unusable ACL - ignore it, as that's the exact thing we're trying to do. The second icacls command reinstates full privileges for Administrators.

You'll also be told the recycle bin on that drive is corrupt after you access D:, this can safely be ignored as well as the bin will simply get remade on the drive.

Let me know if this fixes your problems. For a disk with a LOT of data this might take a while to run.

Edited by Tabs
Fixed third command

36 minutes ago, Mr. Chicken Sandwich said:

I did a fresh install of Win 10, and I have a 2TB storage HDD that I'm using again from when I had Win 7.

I've done all the permission things to the drive and even the folder and files... nothing works.  It says I need permission from DESKTOP\steve... yet I'm logged in as that.

I even put the user "steve" in the administrators group on the PC... even though it's my local admin account. 

I can't copy files, I can delete, etc... so frustrating.  And yes, I've logged out/in... rebooted, etc...

Can anyone help?  I'm about to go back to Win 7 since this was never an issue.

Thanks!

1.PNG

2.PNG

3.PNG

4.PNG

5.PNG

click add

add your win10 steve admin as full control and check inherit child

also note under audit and access tabs the permission values

this steve account the drive sees is win7 account why it fails with win10

my Win7 account was called Home, not Steve

I created another Admin account called "admin"... has the same issues.

This is because you password protected your system on the old install so now the new OS doesn't have permission.

Here is how to get access to your user folder.

You do not need to do anything in command prompt like other people are saying.

https://winaero.com/blog/how-to-take-ownership-and-get-full-access-to-files-and-folders-in-windows-10/

You MUST do step 10 if you want it to work.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

This is because you password protected your system on the old install so now the new OS doesn't have permission.

https://winaero.com/blog/how-to-take-ownership-and-get-full-access-to-files-and-folders-in-windows-10/

That's the procedure i followed first

Should I plug in my old SSD that has win7 on it and remove my password?

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

You MUST do step 10 if you want it to work.

That entire 10 step process is exactly what the 3 commands in my post does. @Mr. Chicken Sandwich clearly knows how to use a command prompt so I'm not sure why you'd recommend this much lengthier process instead. 

Edit: Also, password protection has nothing to do with this, sorry. That's simply not how Windows file/folder ACL's work. Password protection on a user account only affects files that have EFS enabled.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Chicken Sandwich said:

That's the procedure i followed first

Should I plug in my old SSD that has win7 on it and remove my password?

Did you do it on just the user folder or the entire drive?

Try just the user folder.

Also make sure you did step 10.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020