broken pin on usb 3 connector on motherboard?

Ayala

my friend accidentally broke off one of the pins for the usb 3 header on the motherboard. what will happen? will the usb ports not work? will it be fine?

B368C4A9-4350-4846-BB38-F70CAB011D1A.jpeg

1 minute ago, Seriouswhyso said:

I think you can easily fix it by bending the pin back in it's original position. You can do it with an screwdriver.

Yeah, doesn't look like it's completely gone. Unless you're referring to the bottom right, in which case there's not supposed to be one there for orientation purposes. Try bending it back like @Seriouswhyso suggests and you'll be sweet :)

In case anyone is wondering what would happen, I once broken off one of my pins and 1 of the 2 USB ports stopped working. Your mileage my very depending on what pine breaks off.

11 minutes ago, Seriouswhyso said:

I think you can easily fix it by bending the pin back in it's original position. You can do it with an screwdriver.

wait what pin are you talking about? can you circle it?

The sooner we're rid of that USB3.0 header, the better. 

And yeah, just nudge it with a flathead screwdriver when the system is powered down and disconnected from power. Could be some bios setting that keeps USB power on.

17 minutes ago, Ayala said:

my friend accidentally broke off one of the pins for the usb 3 header on the motherboard. what will happen? will the usb ports not work? will it be fine?

I dont see a broken pin? Or a pin that isnt there but should be? If your referring to missing pin on the bottom right, that isnt meant to be there.

My personal PC:

CPU: Intel - Core i5 8600k  Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo  Motherboard: Asus Prime Z370-P RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3000MHz DDR4 Storage: San Disk SSD Plus 240 GB + WD Caviar Blue 1TB  Video Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 Windforce OC 8GB Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400S Tempered Glass ATX  PSU: Corsair CX550M 80+ Bronze Certified Semi Modular PSU.

Peripherals:

Mouse: Logitech - G502 Proteus Spectrum Wired Optical Mouse Keyboard: Rii - RK100 Wired Standard Keyboard Monitor: Asus - VG248QE 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor Headset: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel Headset Speakers: Logitech - Z150 0W 2ch Speakers

Laptop: 

Medion  E6239 MD99452

PCPartpicker Link: 

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/VVwvHN

4 minutes ago, Ayala said:

wait what pin are you talking about? can you circle it?

This one

pin.tiff

15 minutes ago, Inf3cted_Worm said:

Yeah, doesn't look like it's completely gone. Unless you're referring to the bottom right, in which case there's not supposed to be one there for orientation purposes. Try bending it back like @Seriouswhyso suggests and you'll be sweet :)

what pin are you talking about

Just now, Inf3cted_Worm said:

So red pen is the pin that you cab bend back into place, blue pen is a spot that is left blank intentionally

image.png

Ha, I was doing the same thing as this thread was starting to get very funny.  

B368C4A9-4350-4846-BB38-F70CAB011D1A.thumb.jpeg.78e184bacccc71a5efdfe3bd50bacb13.jpg

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

Ha, I was doing the same thing as this thread was starting to get very funny.  

Maaaaan, you put waaay more effort in than me haha

Just get some credit card or something with a flat side and gently push it until it aligns with the other pins. 

It's not broken, it's just bent.

If you do break it, you're just disconnecting a wire through which data moves. The device will simply not be able to connect at USB 3.0 speeds, but may connect and work at usb 2.0 speeds.

Each vertical line of pins belongs to one USB 3.0 connector.  For USB 2.0, only Vbus , GND and P1_D+ and P1_D- are required, the others with SS in name (short for Super Speed) are required for USB 3.0 speeds.

The pin that's bent in your header is SSRX+  (super speed receive) which means that if it's broken completely, whatever you connect in that port can't receive data at usb 3.0 speeds.

3ybBV.jpg.e46dd74755d8105d3958db2290359c5f.jpg

• 3 years later...
On 12/9/2017 at 12:38 AM, mariushm said:

Just get some credit card or something with a flat side and gently push it until it aligns with the other pins. 

It's not broken, it's just bent.

If you do break it, you're just disconnecting a wire through which data moves. The device will simply not be able to connect at USB 3.0 speeds, but may connect and work at usb 2.0 speeds.

Each vertical line of pins belongs to one USB 3.0 connector.  For USB 2.0, only Vbus , GND and P1_D+ and P1_D- are required, the others with SS in name (short for Super Speed) are required for USB 3.0 speeds.

The pin that's bent in your header is SSRX+  (super speed receive) which means that if it's broken completely, whatever you connect in that port can't receive data at usb 3.0 speeds.

3ybBV.jpg.e46dd74755d8105d3958db2290359c5f.jpg

My friend has a completely broken IntA_Pq_SSRX+ pin, he games a lot and does a lot of work on this pc. How can this affect the pc can anyone tell me please?