Is intel core i3 6100 + gtx 1050 and 8gb RAM enough for JUST gaming ?

IIMKII

Is intel core i3 6100 + gtx 1050 and 8gb RAM enough to play any game? I don't care about making videos and editing and all that stuff I just want a good gaming experience, and I want to play exclusive games like fifa 18 and cod ww2 and mortal kombat x and gta v and doom and destiny 2... etc you know new games and some older games too, and I'm thinking about building a gaming pc but I'm on a budget so I just want to know if would be able to play games with those specs. I just want it for playing games nothing more. 

I would get a G4560, G4600 or G4620 instead of the i3 but otherwise it's great for gaming

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

I would really try bump it up to a quad core... this'll work but games are starting to drop dual core suppport. Try a 1400. Quad core i5's are no longer worth the money. If you're sticking with this route then go for a G4560 which is the same thing as that i3

That's an F in the profile pic

Yes, that would be good for playing those games with settings turned down. I would personally go with a Better GPU(1050ti) and bump down my cpu though. And you might want to consider 16gb of ram

Main Laptop: Google Pixelbook 

Dev mode w/ Cross Enabled

PC: Ryzen 7

1700x / 32GB 2667 / GTX 1080 / 1.5 TB of SSDs / 1TB of HDDs

Monitor: AW3418DW Ultrawide

120hz / 3440x1440 / RGB / Amazonbasics Dual Monitor Arm

2nd Monitor: Dell U2515hx

25 inches / 1440p / Portrait / Amazonbasics Dual Monitor Arm

I'd suggest the pentium G4560, its a dual core with hyperthreading and performs like an i3. You could save some money with going with the pentium to get a slightly better grpahics card, such as the gtx 1050ti. You will able to play these games at maybe medium settings at decent fps. If you really had the extra money, you could get an i3-8100 which is a quad core with no hyperthreading, but since your on a budget, a dual core with hyperthreading should be enough for your use case.

I'd get a Ryzen 3 1200 or Ryzen 5 1400 because the platform cost is less - Better Value. 

GTX 1050ti is probably better.

It'll do but I'd try and upgrade that RAM to 16GB. I wouldn't worry about the speed if you're on a budget. As far as RAM is concerned, Capacity > Speed > Timings

|| CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (@3.9GHz) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus || Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition || GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB C16 (@2933MHz) || SSD: SanDisk 128GB || HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Toshiba 2TB, Transcend 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Case: Fractal Design Focus G || Monitor: 2x AOC 23” I2369VM IPS Full HD, Samsung 32" LED TV Monitor || Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless || Keyboard: Cooler Master MK750 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) || Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers || Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT / Samsung Galaxy Buds ||

41 minutes ago, Inversion said:

I'd get a Ryzen 3 1200 or Ryzen 5 1400 because the platform cost is less - Better Value. 

GTX 1050ti is probably better.

It'll do but I'd try and upgrade that RAM to 16GB. I wouldn't worry about the speed if you're on a budget. As far as RAM is concerned, Capacity > Speed > Timings

you will never use 8Gb of RAM on those CPU and GPU.

1 hour ago, asus killer said:

you will never use 8Gb of RAM on those CPU and GPU.

You can on open world games if you value the visuals more than the framerate. It's possible

|| CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (@3.9GHz) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus || Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition || GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB C16 (@2933MHz) || SSD: SanDisk 128GB || HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Toshiba 2TB, Transcend 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Case: Fractal Design Focus G || Monitor: 2x AOC 23” I2369VM IPS Full HD, Samsung 32" LED TV Monitor || Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless || Keyboard: Cooler Master MK750 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) || Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers || Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT / Samsung Galaxy Buds ||

1 hour ago, Inversion said:

That's over simplistic. Ram capacity is an enough or not enough thing. Once you pass enough, it makes little difference. I'd say 8GB is the better choice on this budget especially as it isn't cheap right now.

Depending on when the build will be, I think the i3 8100 could be an option too. The price is good, but the thing holding it back for a budget build right now is the lack of lower cost mobos for it. They're expected early next year.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 hour ago, Inversion said:

You can on open world games if you value the visuals more than the framerate. It's possible

let's be realistic that's a 1080p machine and not on high settings, worst on a open world game. How are you gonna max out 8Gb RAM? opening 20 tabs on firefox at the same time?

20 minutes ago, asus killer said:

let's be realistic that's a 1080p machine and not on high settings, worst on a open world game. How are you gonna max out 8Gb RAM? opening 20 tabs on firefox at the same time?

Considering on 8GB Windows likes to idle around 1.5GB, throw in a web browser that's been in use for a while (they all tend to leak to ~1-1.5GB), and with modern games happily eating up 4-5GB, you could run the limit.

Screen resolution also has no bearing on how much RAM the game consumes.

2 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Screen resolution also has no bearing on how much RAM the game consumes.

that's not true, RAM is what you use when you ran out of VRAM

Just now, asus killer said:

that's not true, RAM is what you use when you ran out of VRAM

Well okay, but you have to run out of VRAM first, which is a rare occurrence these days when the target is 1080p. And if you're running out of VRAM, the gaming experience is going to suffer anyway because of the amount of stuttering that'll happen.

So getting 16GB of RAM because "you might run out of VRAM" isn't going to help. That's like saying get an SSD because "you might run out of RAM"

9 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Well okay, but you have to run out of VRAM first, which is a rare occurrence these days when the target is 1080p. And if you're running out of VRAM, the gaming experience is going to suffer anyway because of the amount of stuttering that'll happen.

So getting 16GB of RAM because "you might run out of VRAM" isn't going to help. That's like saying get an SSD because "you might run out of RAM"

i'm confused, i'm the one saying he doesn't need more than 8Gb not you. 

It can happen and some resolutions (1060 3gb or 4k on rx580 4gb), it's not is case. 

If you aren't trying to get 60fps on maxed out settings, you'll be more then fine and fine 40-60 fps on High. The question is, what price are you shooting for? Because upgrading that CPU would be very benificial.

On ‎08‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 8:00 PM, asus killer said:

One example I've found is Just Cause 3. I have 8GB in my rig right now and as soon as you load the game, a warning comes up saying it requires more RAM for the best experience. I look at task manager and it is really full. Sometimes I'm lucky to get 30FPS in that game. Just my example.

EDIT: I also have it on minimum settings

1 minute ago, Inversion said:

One example I've found is Just Cause 3. I have 8GB in my rig right now and as soon as you load the game, a warning comes up saying it requires more RAM for the best experience. I look at task manager and it is really full. Sometimes I'm lucky to get 30FPS in that game. Just my example.

EDIT: I also have it on minimum settings

i played that game on my craptastic PC on 1080p medium/high and it did not used 8GB RAM. What were you doing on the background? playing another game :) It could be too much crap on the PC in the background, a low VRAM GPU,...

this video is kind of informative:

4 hours ago, asus killer said:

i played that game on my craptastic PC on 1080p medium/high and it did not used 8GB RAM. What were you doing on the background? playing another game :) It could be too much crap on the PC in the background, a low VRAM GPU,...

this video is kind of informative:

I do have a low ish VRAM GPU - 2GB. But It's usage was lower than the limit. CPU wasn't maxed as far as I know but RAM was through the roof. Dunno but yeah he probably only needs 8GB. He can always get another 8GB later.

48 minutes ago, Inversion said:

I do have a low ish VRAM GPU - 2GB. But It's usage was lower than the limit. CPU wasn't maxed as far as I know but RAM was through the roof. Dunno but yeah he probably only needs 8GB. He can always get another 8GB later.

i don't remenber the exact values and i had to unistall the game for space, but i was using more than 3GB VRAM and about 6GB RAM. But i keep my desktop to the minimum regards to programs. I usually use the laptop for crap and surfing the net. The desktop is for gaming and premiere almost exclusive, i don't even have an antivirus.

25 minutes ago, asus killer said:

i don't remenber the exact values and i had to unistall the game for space, but i was using more than 3GB VRAM and about 6GB RAM. But i keep my desktop to the minimum regards to programs. I usually use the laptop for crap and surfing the net. The desktop is for gaming and premiere almost exclusive, i don't even have an antivirus.

I do have antivirus and tbh everyone should run it IMO. With everything that can go wrong online I'd use it even if I only used it for Gaming and Premiere.