400KV deadly ??

The321

I want to buy a 400KV step up booster that boosts from 3-6v input I know this isn't just a toy but if it boost it voltage increases bur would the amp still be deadly? 

In other words would you die when touching this ?

Voltage doesn't kill you, current (amps) kills you. So in theory know if this 'step up booster' is very high voltage but almost no current you'll be fine even if you electrocuted your self. It'd probably still hurt really bad though.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

correct me if im wrong, but if you shortly touch a 120v 15A line, like the wall socket, wouldn't you still be fine? 

it's how long you are touching it for, correct?

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

2 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

Voltage doesn't kill you, current (amps) kills you. So in theory know if this 'step up booster' is very high voltage but almost know current you'll be fine even if you electrocuted your self. It'd probably still hurt really bad though.

No. current isn't the only killer . Voltage directly influences how much current goes through you . It's a combination of both . You can hold a wire with 5V going through it , and nothing will flow through you , no matter how much current your setup is capable of delivering.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

1 minute ago, babadoctor said:

correct me if im wrong, but if you shortly touch a 120v 15A line, like the wall socket, wouldn't you still be fine? 

Yeah people survive those kinds of shocks every day, I just did recently at work. If you grabbed it with both arms so that the current path was across your chest it would likely kill you though.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

Probably not deadly.

1 hour ago, babadoctor said:

It depends, if the shock is big enough you'll die instantly. Other than that, you either go into cardiac arrest or you don't - if you don't, how long you hold it doesn't matter although it might hurt. If you do, the less time you spend holding on to it the more likely your heart is to start beating again. At least as far as I know.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

49 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Probably not deadly.

It depends, if the shock is big enough you'll die instantly. Other than that, you either go into cardiac arrest or you don't - if you don't, how long you hold it doesn't matter although it might hurt. If you do, the less time you spend holding on to it the more likely your heart is to start beating again. At least as far as I know.

That depends on the path the electricity travels. If the leads are 1 inch apart and you hit the arm, they won't go through the heart and you'll survive. Usually.

10 hours ago, The321 said:

I want to buy a 400KV step up booster that boosts from 3-6v input I know this isn't just a toy but if it boost it voltage increases bur would the amp still be deadly? 

In other words would you die when touching this ?

Yes and no. It entirely depends on the voltage and amps. Let me get a little bit into it.

You body has an internal electrical resistance. Think of it like a resistor. It takes a certain voltage to overpower the resistance and let actual current flow through the resistor. I believe that in the average human, that voltage is around 80 volts. So if you were to put both hands on the terminals of a 12v battery, nothing would happen, even though you have a good 400 amps of possible supplied current. So obviously your step up device will be able to pass current through your body. That's the basic idea behind a taser.

Now the thing that differentiates a taser from a 400kv power line is the amount of current which is being conducted. the formula for finding the wattage of a DC supply is volts * amps = watts. We will assume you are powering the module at 1 amp, so 1 amp * 5v = 5w. Not if we step up the voltage with the same wattage, the amperage will therefor go down. If we reverse the equation and plug in 400,000 for our volts and 5 as our watts, it comes out as only 0.0000125 amps. So that is nowhere near the amount of energy that it takes to do serious nerve/tissue damage. There are articles that describe the damage cause by electricity in the body, so I'd recommend checking on your own time. Compare the amps to that of a high voltage line, which can carry as much as 1000 amps. Those levels of energy will literally vaporize you though. So it's all about the amount of energy that is going through your body. Having too high of a current going through your body can cause burning due to heat let off by resistance.

Now that doesn't mean that that is the only way in which you can get injured. Since your nerves use electrical pulses to transmit information to your muscles and organs, external electrical sources can trick nerves into doing bad things. That is the idea behind a defibrillator, which sends a quick pulse of electricity into the chest to 'restart' your heart. If you get electrical current near your heart during an extended period, it can cause you to go into cardiac arrest, as it will mess up the nerves that surround and control your heart. 

So TL;DR: Unless you are dealing with more than 1 or 2 amps, you should be fine. Just try not to get it near your chest area, as it can cause severe damage or cardiac arrest.

My native language is C++

5 hours ago, Theguywhobea said:

Voltage doesn't kill you, current (amps) kills you. So in theory know if this 'step up booster' is very high voltage but almost no current you'll be fine even if you electrocuted your self. It'd probably still hurt really bad though.

I = V/R current is dependant on voltage and resistance. Your skin has a resistance as high as 100kΩ when dry and low as 1000Ω if wet or broken.

400kV / 100kΩ = 4A. That is the very definition of electric shock with nasty burns if not fibrillation and or death. It also depends on duration and the path the current flows but high voltage breaks down the resistance of human skin creating increased current flow which makes it more deadly.

Also the booster may not be rated for high amperage but that does not mean it will not provide high amperage. The step up will give you as many amps as you want to draw but the question is for how long if its going above its rated continuous current so don't think if its only a 100mA boost converter that it doesn't have the capability to put out a lot more.

Op get your self a chicken stick and be very cautious when dealing with any high voltage equipment.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

I think I know what you're looking at, and two things:

1. It's gonna actually be more like 40 kV at most
  2. If you touch it, it will really hurt, but shouldn't be truly harmful

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I think I know what you're looking at, and two things:

1. It's gonna actually be more like 40 kV at most
  2. If you touch it, it will really hurt, but shouldn't be truly harmful

Your forgot 3. Film yourself touching it and put it on youtube.

• 3 weeks later...

What safety limits say is if voltage is over Extra-low voltage (ELV) 50V AC or 120V DC and is a continuous contact
0.5-1mA Noticable that you feel it.
5-10mA You can't let go. Muscle spasm. (around 6mA for women and near 10mA for men)
50mA cardiac fibrillation. The heart can't pump the blood ==> you die if no one helps your heart to get going again.

According to this document on the minimum health and safety requirements with high voltage

entsoe_EMF_report

3.2 Effects of exposure to electric and magnetic fields
3.2.2 Microshocks
"If a spark discharge occurs multiple times to the same point of the skin, would damage, e. g. small burns to the skin, occur." 
"Once the contact is established, the spark discharge is replaced by a continuous contact current. The Directive limits contact currents to 1mA. "

A combination of voltage AND current kills you.

That 400kV is very low current, and the current is so low enough that is unlikely to hurt you because the human skin is usually dry and has high resistance. If you were to break the skin and insert the wires in your blood or something like that, you could kill yourself.