Whats considered quiet good memory to pair with an OC'd 8700K

StormEye

Haven't looked into DDR4 memory as I was stuck with DDR3 until now.

Now I am moving from X79 platform to Z370 platform, so I am looking into DDR4 memory.

Would appreciate if you guys can give me an advice on what kind of clockspeed and timing I should be looking into to pair with OC'd 8700k (not yet tested/bought).

Money is not really too much of an issue for me, but I would like to get something that makes sense. As far as I know memory still does not do much in terms of game performance, but I could be wrong.

If a very expensive kit is worth investing into, I would gladly do so.

EDIT: Wrong platform number

X99 uses ddr4

looks like you have X79 from your specs, I would probably pick up a 4*8gb kit of tridentz rgb, corsair vengeance rgb or dominator platinums.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

2 minutes ago, Damascus said:

X99 uses ddr4

looks like you have X79 from your specs, I would probably pick up a 4*8gb kit of tridentz rgb, corsair vengeance rgb or dominator platinums.

Ya, sorry, I forgot about the platform number. It is X79

1 minute ago, StormEye said:

Ya, sorry, I forgot about the platform number. It is X79

Np, any of the kits I mentioned will work really well.  The tridentz is currently the fastest RAM in the world if that's your thing

I like Trident-Z myself. I'm running the 64gb, 16x4 3200mhz kit @ 3600mhz

Intel i7-7700k @ 5.1ghz | Asus ROG Maximus Hero IX | Asus ROG Poseidon Platinum 1080ti @ 2126mhz | 64gb Trident-Z DDR4 @ 3600mhz | Samsung 960 Pro 1tb @ 3500mbps/2500mbps | Crucial 240gb SSD | Toshiba 4tb 7200rpm HDD w/ Crucial 128gb SSD cache | Corsair Hx1000i PSU | EK 360mm Coolstream XE Radiator | EK-Supremacy Evo Waterblock | EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition Pump | EK-RES X3 150 RGB Reservoir | Primochill AdvancedLRT Clear Tubing | Primochill VUE UV Blue Coolant | Corsair 570x Crystal RGB Case | 4x 30cm CableMod UV/RGB Widebeam Hybrid Led Strip | 3x 120mm Corsair SP120 RGB Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC 3000rpm Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A12x15 Fan | CableMod ModFlex PSU & SATA Cables | Asus ROG Swift 27" 4k IPS w/G-Sync & LG UD68 27" 4k IPS w/Freesync |

Just now, Damascus said:

Np, any of the kits I mentioned will work really well.  The tridentz is currently the fastest RAM in the world if that's your thing

Yes, I am looking into that, but I would like to get a little more detailed advice.

Obviously the most simple answer would be to buy the most expensive kit available, but I don't really want to spend extra if its not going to make much of a difference.

Whats a good high point to settle before it becomes mindlessly throwing money away?

Memory doesn't make any noise, it is all quiet.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

25 minutes ago, StormEye said:

Money is not really too much of an issue for me, but I would like to get something that makes sense. As far as I know memory still does not do much in terms of game performance, but I could be wrong.

A kit running at 3200MHz should provide a reasonable level of performance without being egregiously expensive (comparatively... DDR4 memory is expensive, and will likely be even more so next year). If you want kits using Samsung B-Dies go for the ones rated at CL14 (the ones rated at CL16 are usually from Hynix or Micron), for better manual overclocking headroom (and lower latencies even if you don't).

Above 3200MHz and it just becomes a question of how much money you're willing to shell out for the increasingly relative marginal performance gain (or just better benchmark scores). Brand names (e.g. trident Z, corsair, g. skill) are not particularly relevant unless you like the look of one kit over another (or if a particular kit goes on sale): reputable RAM manufacturers provide a lifetime warranty anyways.

7 minutes ago, StormEye said:

if its not going to make much of a difference.

It'll only make a small difference in CPU-bound games.

Just now, thorhammerz said:

A kit running at 3200MHz should provide a reasonable level of performance without being egregiously expensive (comparatively... anything that uses DDR4 memory is expensive, and will likely be even more so next year). If you want kits using Samsung B-Dies go for the ones rated at CL14 (the ones rated at CL16 are usually from Hynix or Micron), for better manual overclocking headroom (and lower latencies even if you don't).

Anything above 3200MHz and it just becomes a question of how much money you're willing to shell out for the marginal performance gain (or benchmark scores...). Brand names (e.g. trident Z, corsair, g. skill) are not particularly relevant unless you like the look of one kit over another (or if a particular kit goes on sale): reputable RAM manufacturers provide a lifetime warranty anyways.

It'll only make a small difference in CPU-bound games.

Thank you very much. This is the info I was trying to get.

13 minutes ago, StormEye said:

Yes, I am looking into that, but I would like to get a little more detailed advice.

Obviously the most simple answer would be to buy the most expensive kit available, but I don't really want to spend extra if its not going to make much of a difference.

Whats a good high point to settle before it becomes mindlessly throwing money away?

The optimal cas latency is between 14-16 with ~3200mhz getting diminishing returns.  3600mhz cas 14/15 is the best.

Just now, Damascus said:

The optimal cas latency is between 14-16 with ~3200mhz getting diminishing returns.  3600mhz cas 14/15 is the best.

Thank you very much for the info.