I want to share my internet connection to a house 150m away

IoWii

Hello!
I have a warehouse about 150-200m away from my house. I would like to have internet in there for cameras and I need it when i'm there. I would not like to pay internet twice, so I'm asking if anyone knows how that is done? I have access to antennas in diameter to 1m and If one would be placed at the warehouse and one at my house they would be in direct sight. 

There is this kit for purchase but 25km is completely overkill so if there is a cheaper solution please shoot :) 

5 minutes ago, IoWii said:

Hello!
I have a warehouse about 150-200m away from my house. I would like to have internet in there for cameras and I need it when i'm there. I would not like to pay internet twice, so I'm asking if anyone knows how that is done? I have access to antennas in diameter to 1m and If one would be placed at the warehouse and one at my house they would be in direct sight. 

There is this kit for purchase but 25km is completely overkill so if there is a cheaper solution please shoot :) 

A long ass Ethernet to a switch.

Just now, jamesnightingale said:

OR Fiber Optic if it is possible to run a line may be your best bet. With Ethernet you would want to make sure it is shielded well.

PCPartPicker - System Build: Ryzen 1700/GTX 980 Ti + Networking & Peripherals

Folding@Home - User Stats: erikr_cFolding.ExtremeOverclocking.com

BOINC - User Stats: erikr_cBOINCstats.com

Yeah a long ethernet is probably your best option. 

Or if there's anywhere you could install a range extender somewhere in between, thiugh it'd have to be a powerful one. 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

150m requires fibre tho. A normal copper ethernet cable goes only up to 100m in theory.

And fibre would allow to scale in the future, if you lay down a good copper cable now that somehow works it would likely be limited to 1gbps.

Fibre can easily do 40gbps. So do it properly and go fibre.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

6 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

150m requires fibre tho. A normal copper ethernet cable goes only up to 100m in theory.

And fibre would allow to scale in the future, if you lay down a good copper cable now that somehow works it would likely be limited to 1gbps.

Single Mode single pair can do 400Gbps.

Multi-Mode bi-di is getting a 100Gbps single pair transceiver soon, or just recently got, I forget.

But yah, I agree, fiber is the way to go here :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

37 minutes ago, IoWii said:

Hello!

1000foot roll of fiber singlemode is 159bucks on amazon

2 fiber cable end connectors with a few ethernet to fiber adapters and ethernet ports set to halfduplex mode you be set(halfduplex=2km with full upto 20+km)

32 minutes ago, jamesnightingale said:

Fire is difficult to setup*

Fiber is no more difficult than copper to setup.

You just need transceivers at both ends that support the distance and cable type.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

6 hours ago, IoWii said:

I have access to antennas in diameter to 1m and If one would be placed at the warehouse and one at my house they would be in direct sight. 

If you already have 1m satellite dishes, then you can use this: (Mikrotik LDF 5) https://mikrotik.com/product/rbldf_5nd - I used the link calculator set to a distance of 0.2km, and it says that a 450Mb/s link should be able to be reliably achieved. Ubiquiti might have a wireless radio that is meant to use existing satellite dishes, but I don't follow their products, just Mikrotik's. If you want to look for other PtP products including ones that are 802.11ac, then you can look here for Mikrotik https://mikrotik.com/products/group/wireless-systems and here for Ubiquiti https://www.ubnt.com/products/#airmax

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

19 hours ago, Lurick said:

Fiber is no more difficult than copper to setup.

You just need transceivers at both ends that support the distance and cable type.

19 hours ago, bcguru9384 said:

1000foot roll of fiber singlemode is 159bucks on amazon

2 fiber cable end connectors with a few ethernet to fiber adapters and ethernet ports set to halfduplex mode you be set(halfduplex=2km with full upto 20+km)

20 hours ago, jamesnightingale said:

Fire is difficult to setup*

20 hours ago, Lurick said:

Single Mode single pair can do 400Gbps.

Multi-Mode bi-di is getting a 100Gbps single pair transceiver soon, or just recently got, I forget.

But yah, I agree, fiber is the way to go here :)

20 hours ago, samcool55 said:

20 hours ago, RKRiley said:

Yeah a long ethernet is probably your best option. 

Or if there's anywhere you could install a range extender somewhere in between, thiugh it'd have to be a powerful one. 

20 hours ago, erikr_c said:

OR Fiber Optic if it is possible to run a line may be your best bet. With Ethernet you would want to make sure it is shielded well.

20 hours ago, jamesnightingale said:

Laying cables down in the middle of a city is kind of hard haha, forgot to state it needs to be wireless... sorry

13 hours ago, brwainer said:

If you already have 1m satellite dishes, then you can use this: (Mikrotik LDF 5) https://mikrotik.com/product/rbldf_5nd - I used the link calculator set to a distance of 0.2km, and it says that a 450Mb/s link should be able to be reliably achieved. Ubiquiti might have a wireless radio that is meant to use existing satellite dishes, but I don't follow their products, just Mikrotik's. If you want to look for other PtP products including ones that are 802.11ac, then you can look here for Mikrotik https://mikrotik.com/products/group/wireless-systems and here for Ubiquiti https://www.ubnt.com/products/#airmax

My internet speed is 100MB/s so it wouldnt be a problem. So if I buy this LDF and place it at my house and point it to the warehouse, what needs to be at the other end? The same thing or does this amplify wireless signal so it would reach 200m?

13 minutes ago, IoWii said:

Laying cables down in the middle of a city is kind of hard haha, forgot to state it needs to be wireless... sorry

Then you'll need to do something similar to what @brwainer suggested just above you :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 hour ago, IoWii said:

My internet speed is 100MB/s so it wouldnt be a problem. So if I buy this LDF and place it at my house and point it to the warehouse, what needs to be at the other end? The same thing or does this amplify wireless signal so it would reach 200m?

I had assumed you would have an LDF at both ends when I tested the Link Calculator. You at least need some sort of directional antenna at both ends, but best results come from having similar equipment at both ends of a link.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: