5400 RPM How bad is it?

Tom is a Door
Go to solution Solved by Zodiark1593,
2 minutes ago, Tom is a Door said:

I am on a 2.5" 5400 lol. Reason I ask is because I just bought this second hand and seems slow but not to the point I want to pull my hair out. Getting the SSD working will require a few bucks and taking my laptop apart is a nightmare (took me a while last time I did it). So I was looking for a justitication to put off the work. I guess I can't anymore. I will get on buying an DVD drive hdd caddy adapter for my HDD and use my SSD for boot- cs go and some programs 

The biggest pain in the rear was the reinstall of Windows, and installing the drivers and other stuff I use. Can't say I'd willingly go back to running the OS off a HDD though. ;)

I have a really old SSD, don't think it has much life left. So I don't want to create an image of my 5.4k RPM to my OCZ Agility 3 SSD. I also don't want to do it because I am lazy and it will take a while. So, I was wondering, is 5400 RPM really that bad? Most of my life is used cheap thrown away tech anyway will there be any huge difference? My latest PC had a 7200 RPM and I thought it was reasonably fast. What do you guys think? Should I just bite the bullet and transfer to the SSD? I will probably have to get an adapter for my dvd bay as the only way I could clone the hard drive is through that I don't have empty HDD bay.  

5400 are painfully slow...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

1 minute ago, Abdul201588 said:

5400 are painfully slow...

Most of the benchmark out there has too many uncontrolled variable but how much of a difference would you say there is between 7200 and 5400

I don't need exact statistics but how did you feel between the two loading things up.

4 minutes ago, Tom is a Door said:

Most of the benchmark out there has too many uncontrolled variable but how much of a difference would you say there is between 7200 and 5400

I don't need exact statistics but how did you feel between the two loading things up.

I have a 5400rpm 250GB HDD in my laptop and it REALLLY slow. It take a good 10 minutes to load everything. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

I use a 5400 RPM WD Red drive for my game libraries, project folders, and for miscellaneous files. Plus it serves as my documents, pictures, videos, and downloads directories.

As for accessing them (and loading game saves), it could be better, but when I initially bought it, I was wanting the most storage for the best possible price I could get at the time.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

1 minute ago, JurunceNK said:

I use a 5400 RPM WD Red drive for my game libraries, project folders, and for miscellaneous files. Plus it serves as my documents, pictures, videos, and downloads directories.

As for accessing them (and loading game saves), it could be better, but when I initially bought it, I was wanting the most storage for the best possible price I could get at the time.

I just bought mine, did yours get significantly slower to the point it was pain as you filled it up? (Assuming you didn't wait 14 hours every other month defragging it) 

Just now, Tom is a Door said:

I just bought mine, did yours get significantly slower to the point it was pain as you filled it up? (Assuming you didn't wait 14 hours every other month defragging it) 

No. As for the defragging part, that's automated (weekly if I remember correctly). My game libraries is almost maxed out (I allocated 1.5TB out of 3TB (unformatted) and the rest went to the other directories)

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

There is a bit of a difference between 5400 rpm 3.5" drives, and the miserably slow 5400 rpm 2.5" laptop drives. Most of the desktops at work here run the latter and are slower than molasses when doing silent random virus scans, or silent updates. My Intel Atom netbook (with eMMc) feels worlds more responsive by comparison.

My WD Green is plenty quick for games and media storage. Don't think I would use it as a boot drive though.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 minute ago, Zodiark1593 said:

There is a bit of a difference between 5400 rpm 3.5" drives, and the miserably slow 5400 rpm 2.5" laptop drives. Most of the desktops at work here run the latter and are slower than molasses when doing silent random virus scans, or silent updates. My Intel Atom netbook (with eMMc) feels worlds more responsive by comparison.

My WD Green is plenty quick for games and media storage. Don't think I would use it as a boot drive though.

I am on a 2.5" 5400 lol. Reason I ask is because I just bought this second hand and seems slow but not to the point I want to pull my hair out. Getting the SSD working will require a few bucks and taking my laptop apart is a nightmare (took me a while last time I did it). So I was looking for a justitication to put off the work. I guess I can't anymore. I will get on buying an DVD drive hdd caddy adapter for my HDD and use my SSD for boot- cs go and some programs 

2 minutes ago, Tom is a Door said:

The biggest pain in the rear was the reinstall of Windows, and installing the drivers and other stuff I use. Can't say I'd willingly go back to running the OS off a HDD though. ;)

My eyes see the past…

2 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

so the work will pay off it seems :D Thanks 

4 minutes ago, Tom is a Door said:

so the work will pay off it seems :D Thanks 

I would just do a full format and clean install to the SSD with the old HDD outside. This will let you know whether the drive works before committing, and is certainly quicker than trying to transfer an old image between drives.

My eyes see the past…