Which CPU will last longer time(years) in gaming - R5 1600 or i5 8400

Which CPU will last longer time(years) in gaming - R5 1600(6c12t) or i5 8400(6c6t).Which is more future-proofing?

7 minutes ago, ElusiumClearley said:

Which CPU will last longer time(years) in gaming - R5 1600(6c12t) or i5 8400(6c6t).Which is more future-proofing?

I'd probably have to say the R5 since you can OC it unlike the 8400 but I can't guarantee anything.

The 1600 because it has more threads and AMD said they would support AM4 until something like 2020.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

8400 will last you long enough until an 8700k or 8600k is cheap on the used market. That being said, the Ryzen chips will also go down in price, but Intel chips seem to get cheaper a lot faster than AMD chips. I would go for whichever platform will last you long enough. For strictly gaming, the 1600 (at 4Ghz) is right on par with the 8400, but the 8700k and 8600k are far ahead Ryzen for gaming and slightly ahead for almost everything else. That being said, if you're buying right now and reducing costs is what really matters, watch /r/buildapcsales and get whatever deal is best.

1 minute ago, Colty said:

8400 will last you long enough until an 8700k or 8600k is cheap on the used market. That being said, the Ryzen chips will also go down in price, but Intel chips seem to get cheaper a lot faster than AMD chips. I would go for whichever platform will last you long enough. For strictly gaming, the 1600 (at 4Ghz) is right on par with the 8400, but the 8700k and 8600k are far ahead Ryzen for gaming and slightly ahead for almost everything else. That being said, if you're buying right now and reducing costs is what really matters, watch /r/buildapcsales and get whatever deal is best.

With the R5 1600 combo i think i can save 50$, but i can't and im not into overclocking?Which should i get?

IMO the r5 1600 will last longer because of the 12 threads. It seems like games built on modern apis are really taking advantage of more threads and that trend is going to continue. Sure 6 cores are great right now but in 3-4 years, who knows... 3-4 years ago 4 core cpus were great and nobody expected games will ever take advantage of so many cores.

39 minutes ago, 1kv said:

I'd probably have to say the R5 since you can OC it unlike the 8400 but I can't guarantee anything.

What does unlocked multiplier have to do with longevity when i5 beats r5 even when r5 is overclocked?

It's difficult to say, currently i5 8400 is far better than the 1600 (it performs almost like i7 7700k, a CPU that no ryzen can match)Additional threads on the r5 mean nothing because it's a different architecture.

18 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

What does unlocked multiplier have to do with longevity when i5 beats r5 even when r5 is overclocked?

It's difficult to say, currently i5 8400 is far better than the 1600 (it performs almost like i7 7700k, a CPU that no ryzen can match)Additional threads on the r5 mean nothing because it's a different architecture.

But when i5 8400 or r5 1600 are paired with GTX 1060 there's like a 5-10 fps difference..I can't afford 1080 Ti

6 minutes ago, ElusiumClearley said:

But when i5 8400 or r5 1600 are paired with GTX 1060 there's like a 5-10 fps difference..I can't afford 1080 Ti

In that case you can buy the Pentium g4560, there's a reason why GPU bottlenecks aren't allowed in CPU benchmarks.

13 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

In that case you can buy the Pentium g4560, there's a reason why GPU bottlenecks aren't allowed in CPU benchmarks.

So, if money doesn't matter, which one should i get?Almost everyone told me Ryzen 5 1600 ( i don't know why ), but im so confused...

2 minutes ago, ElusiumClearley said:

So, if money doesn't matter, which one should i get?Almost everyone told me Ryzen 5 1600 ( i don't know why ), but im so confused...

If money doesn't matter why don't you buy i5 8600k or i7 8700(/k)?It depends, i5 is better now but both of them might perform the same in the future, ryzen could give you an upgrade path to zen 3.

As a Ryzen owner, I’d just get the i5. If you’re not into overclocking, chances are you aren’t into troubleshooting memory problems that can still crop up on the platform.

Personally, I’m switching back to Team Blue.

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HS

GPU: RTX 3060

RAM: 16GB @3200 MHz

Old PC:

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @4.9 GHz/1.315v

Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A

21 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

If money doesn't matter why don't you buy i5 8600k or i7 8700(/k)?It depends, i5 is better now but both of them might perform the same in the future, ryzen could give you an upgrade path to zen 3.

Thanks for your opinion, it will help me a lot!

10 minutes ago, Emberstone said:

As a Ryzen owner, I’d just get the i5. If you’re not into overclocking, chances are you aren’t into troubleshooting memory problems that can still crop up on the platform.

Personally, I’m switching back to Team Blue.

I can't understand when i asked so many people they told me to get the ryzen 5 1600, because they always talk about these 12 threads.Idk, but games can't be optimized so quickly and it could take the developers more than 4-5 years.I just want a future proofing PC, that's all..and what about this video 

Isn't the RX 580 better than the GTX 1060 ?

1 hour ago, ElusiumClearley said:

With the R5 1600 combo i think i can save 50$, but i can't and im not into overclocking?Which should i get?

OCing isn't difficult at all, I would recommend you look into it a bit more. If you're really that against it, definitely get the 8400. OC'ing is the only way Ryzen can even be competitive for gaming performance

1 minute ago, Colty said:

OCing isn't difficult at all, I would recommend you look into it a bit more. If you're really that against it, definitely get the 8400. OC'ing is the only way Ryzen can even be competitive for gaming performance

Completely agree, 

Nice thing with the Asus boards I've never even touched the bios and my ram and CPU are overclocked for the AI tuner. my B350 price got the 3.6 on a 1600 and on the x370 got to 3.8Ghz without me having to touch a thing. 

I'm pretty sure the other boards will do the same. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

2 minutes ago, Colty said:

Idk dude, when i hear ''overclocking'' i understand something risky that can cause damage to my components and i'm a little bit afraid..

8 minutes ago, Colty said:

So it's pointless to use Ryzen 5 1600 at stock speed ?

Do not buy an I5 and with the Ryzen, you have upgradability up to and into 2020. You won't have that with the 8400 and won't be able to just drop a new gen CPU into your board, whereas you will be able to with Ryzen. Here's why you shouldn't buy an i5 of any sort or the Pentium:

1 minute ago, johnukguy said:

Do not buy an I5 and with the Ryzen, you have upgradability up to and into 2020. You won't have that with the 8400 and won't be able to just drop a new gen CPU into your board, whereas you will be able to with Ryzen. Here's why you shouldn't buy an i5 of any sort or the Pentium:

I think the case is not like this..

I've had my amd fx 8350 for 4-5 years now, and its still good, I use a asus 1070 gpu, I was tempted to "upgrade" to ryzen, but i did all the bencmarks on my system to compare to video reviews and its close to a ryzen 3 1200 (well close enough). Ill wait for another year or 2 before i upgrade. I can play all the games i own on ultra 1080p60hz. So i gain nothing from upgrading.

1 minute ago, Kimmaz said:

I've had my amd fx 8350 for 4-5 years now, and its still good, I use a asus 1070 gpu, I was tempted to "upgrade" to ryzen, but i did all the bencmarks on my system to compare to video reviews and its close to a ryzen 3 1200 (well close enough). Ill wait for another year or 2 before i upgrade. I can play all the games i own on ultra 1080p60hz. So i gain nothing from upgrading.

Yea, but you have a really nice GPU.

Just now, ElusiumClearley said:

Yea, but you have a really nice GPU.

I dont understand how that affects my cpu ability to last longer or perform better. I upgraded my cpu in 2012-13, cause it was the oldest part of my computer, i had a Amd Phenom X4 9650. I usually upgrade the oldest part of my computer once a year, last year it was the gpu, the year before it was the ssd, but this year i have not gotten any upgrades. I dont like to buy a entire computer at the time.

Just now, Kimmaz said:

I dont understand how that affects my cpu ability to last longer or perform better. I upgraded my cpu in 2012-13, cause it was the oldest part of my computer, i had a Amd Phenom X4 9650. I usually upgrade the oldest part of my computer once a year, last year it was the gpu, the year before it was the ssd, but this year i have not gotten any upgrades. I dont like to buy a entire computer at the time.

Yea, but in my case i should buy an entirely new PC, because i'm using Pentium 4 3,00 gHz and integrated GPU to my 10 year old mobo :D

54 minutes ago, ElusiumClearley said:

Idk dude, when i hear ''overclocking'' i understand something risky that can cause damage to my components and i'm a little bit afraid..

Overclocking is only dangerous if you don’t watch your temperatures and use absurd voltage levels.

On Ryzen, stay below 1.4v or so. On Intel Coffee Lake, try to stay below 1.35v or so. For your CPU temp, endeavor to keep it below 80 C at peak load.

That’s really all it takes. Stay within those guidelines and your chip should outlast its useful life (I.E. it’ll be very outdated before it gets anywhere close to dying). 

Last thing I’d mention is simply not to get a crappy motherboard so the board itself can support the overclock since it has to deliver all that power. Just google the VRM quality of the board you’re looking at, and most likely someone has done an analysis on its power delivery system.

With my own system, I’ve had it overclocked as far as the chip will go without insane voltage since June, and it hasn’t burst into flames. The VRM temps on the motherboard are also nice and cool at 50-60 C under full load since Asus makes nice stuff, even at the lower end.

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HS

GPU: RTX 3060