I knew us Americans were bad but this is just sad.

MrImnotMLG

I was just goofing off when I found this article.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/12/07/a-few-basic-science-and-tech-facts-many-americans-dont-know/

We are just a disgrace to the human race if we don't know this. Someone just kill us off.

Current System: CPU - I5-6500 | Motherboard - ASRock H170M-ITX/ac | RAM - Mushkin Blackline 16GB DDR4 @ 2400mHz | GPU - EVGA 1060 3GB | Case - Fractal Design Nano S | Storage - 250GB 850 EVO, 3TB Barracuda | PSU - EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze | Display - AOC 22" 1080p IPS | Cooling - Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK | Keyboard - Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid(MX Blues) | Mouse - Logitech G602 | Sound - Schiit Stack | Operating System - Windows 10

The OG System: I3-2370M @ 2.4 GHz, 750GB 5400 RPM HDD, 8GB RAM @1333Mhz, Lenovo Z580 Laptop (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

Peripherals: G602, AKG 240, Sennheiser HD 6XX, Audio-Technica 2500, Oneplus 5T, Odroid C2(NAS).

Well thats a bit harsh

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

This isn't the Americans being stupid. It is more so how they are getting educated, if you near learn something how can you know about it?

Quote me to get a reply!

These statistics are taken from inner-city schools... (explains everything)

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

These statistics are taken from inner-city schools...

This.

Also, I knew the answer to everything but the last question. I've always imagined the atmosphere as being mostly carbon dioxide and oxygen with methane, nitrogen, hydrogen, and helium being trace elements. I fail. 

... But that thing about the continents moving. *sigh* That will never cease to irritate me.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I got everything on the quiz right, so hopefully that makes you feel better OP

This.

Also, I knew the answer to everything but the last question. I've always imagined the atmosphere as being mostly carbon dioxide and oxygen with methane, nitrogen, hydrogen, and helium being trace elements. I fail. 

... But that thing about the continents moving. *sigh* That will never cease to irritate me.

I don't blame you, I passed environmental with a 5 and that was just a poor question.

oh wait the questions are out of order, I thought you meant the fracking one. 

Edited by helping

Error: 410

13/13 not bad :)

Scored better than 93% of the American public and scored the same as 7% of the American public

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Its because of all the religion. Half the schools dont even let you teach evolution its all creation and in some catholic schools they say electricity is magic. and all this other crap. also, the history text books only teach up top the 80's and the physics classes only teach until the year the civil war started. So we are missing out on general relativity,special relativity and everything Einstein ever learned. also, teachers get payed like crap and anyone can become a teacher. we care more about funding the military than we do teaching the youth.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

and in some catholic schools they say electricity is magic

Really, wow that is excellent (well not for the people being taught it though), I shouldn't find it funny but it is lol

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

This isn't the Americans being stupid. It is more so how they are getting educated, if you near learn something how can you know about it?

Kids are too dumb or lazy to learn something now. I get first hand experience with that in my school looking at all the idiots walking around me that don't know basic maths or science. I do agree that someone should kill us off. For how "smart" we are we do a poor job of showing it.

Its because of all the religion. Half the schools dont even let you teach evolution its all creation and in some catholic schools they say electricity is magic. and all this other crap. also, the history text books only teach up top the 80's and the physics classes only teach until the year the civil war started. So we are missing out on general relativity,special relativity and everything Einstein ever learned. also, teachers get payed like crap and anyone can become a teacher. we care more about funding the military than we do teaching the youth.

Dude it's not all about religion. I go to a Catholic High School...They teach about evolution. Also I can tell you half of what you said is BS.

Current System: CPU - I5-6500 | Motherboard - ASRock H170M-ITX/ac | RAM - Mushkin Blackline 16GB DDR4 @ 2400mHz | GPU - EVGA 1060 3GB | Case - Fractal Design Nano S | Storage - 250GB 850 EVO, 3TB Barracuda | PSU - EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze | Display - AOC 22" 1080p IPS | Cooling - Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK | Keyboard - Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid(MX Blues) | Mouse - Logitech G602 | Sound - Schiit Stack | Operating System - Windows 10

The OG System: I3-2370M @ 2.4 GHz, 750GB 5400 RPM HDD, 8GB RAM @1333Mhz, Lenovo Z580 Laptop (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

Peripherals: G602, AKG 240, Sennheiser HD 6XX, Audio-Technica 2500, Oneplus 5T, Odroid C2(NAS).

That's a social and local cultural issue, not a religious issue.

Don't make religion into a scapegoat when it's not the cause. Correlation does not indicate religion as the source of the issue, as popular as it might be to hate on. 

Whoa. That was kind of out of left field bro. (slang for "uncalled for") 

... Religion didn't stop me from learning this stuff. :| Anecdotal, yes, but true nonetheless. 

Though I agree. General Relativity isn't a part of the STARS testing. It's absurd.

Related to that very comment:

http://www.wimp.com/visualizegravity/

I want to buy some of that fabric SOOO bad.

Don't make religion into a scapegoat when it's not the cause. Correlation does not indicate religion as the source of the issue, as popular as it might be to hate on.

Your comment is like fresh water. Renewing my hope in humanity. Thank you.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I blame the department of education 

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

I knew the answer to all of those questions but maybe that is just me?

I knew the answer to all of those questions but maybe that is just me?I guess

I guess you're one of the lucky ones...

well that's what happens when your countries no. 1 priority is their military to fight off every country in the world in which we could already nuke them time and time over if they were truly a threat, than teaching the next generation that rules the senate in the next 20 years.

Kids are too dumb or lazy to learn something now. I get first hand experience with that in my school looking at all the idiots walking around me that don't know basic maths or science. I do agree that someone should kill us off. For how "smart" we are we do a poor job of showing it.

Thats because hey are taught poorly from the get go. If they were taught in a good way from the beginning im sure it would be different. 

Dude it's not all about religion. I go to a Catholic High School...They teach about evolution. Also I can tell you half of what you said is BS.

OK, i never said ALL catholic schools but some do. some are better about it than others. it all depends on which one you go to.

Yes it is social and cultural. but much of the culture in the US is Christianity and Catholicism. 

Actually, creation is from religion, if they teach creation its because of religion without religion there is no creationism. 

Creationism is the belief that a god or some otherworldly power created people. which is what ALL religions believe "apart from say Scientology and the sorts" So, if you are atheist "such as myself" you dont believe in creationism. 

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

Thats because hey are taught poorly from the get go. If they were taught in a good way from the beginning im sure it would be different. 

OK, i never said ALL catholic schools but some do. some are better about it than others. it all depends on which one you go to.

Yes it is social and cultural. but much of the culture in the US is Christianity and Catholicism. 

Actually, creation is from religion, if they teach creation its because of religion without religion there is no creationism. 

Creationism is the belief that a god or some otherworldly power created people. which is what ALL religions believe "apart from say Scientology and the sorts" So, if you are atheist "such as myself" you dont believe in creationism.

This is becoming unruly and I really shouldn't especially since it's so far off topic, but I can't help myself.

Religion is culture, but the culture of a group of people is not religion. I'm not talking about creation specifically. You could refute that creationism is religious, it is more philosophical as the question of origin is inevitable and is separate from the issue entirely. Religion was (for lack of better words) established for the sake of answering the philosophical question of origin, which people are unable to answer. To clarify, creationism is not exclusive to religion only the variants are; without religion the theory and idea would still exist because of the human nature to not to accept unquestionably and to think. Religion fills that void that's created at the end of a chain of "Why?"

And I do know for sure there are churches and sometimes it varies so much as by the pastor, but some religions and religious sects do in fact teach evolution and support it. Arguably not teaching creationism is incorrect as well. In a perfect scenario both should be taught for the sake of understanding, however that cannot realistically be done in a school. 

Furthermore, as an atheist myself, you are an antitheist not an atheist. That kind of behavior and ignorance is as toxic as radical religious folk themselves. Blindly taking an opposition against something you don't seem to completely understand yourself is no bueno. 

You're either nervous, panicking, feel like you're under attack, or your education is showing. Could be a combination of any. I try to refrain from ad hominem jabs, but please try to forgive my rudeness. 

mods be gentle.

@Windspeed36 I have a feeling this might get out of hand since we are starting to tread into religion...

already reported thread a while ago, lock or delete should be soon.

2nhWhMy.png?1

That is a common misconception with everyone. With the Bible the story of creation is just that a story. If you ever decide to read a Bible, I'd say up until Abraham(father of the Jewish and Catholic religion) is made up. During the time of the Exodus the stories were being written down. They decided to help explain how the world was made and where they came from. As time went stories became modified. There never was the seven days or Adam and Eve. Any Catholic who says so is just wrong.

@Windspeed36 I have a feeling this might get out of hand since we are starting to tread into religion...

Furthermore, as an atheist myself, you are an antitheist not an atheist. That kind of behavior and ignorance is as toxic as radical religious folk themselves. Blindly taking an opposition against something you don't seem to completely understand yourself is no bueno. 

Your either nervous, panicking, feel like you're under attack, or your education is showing. Could be a combination of any. I try to refrain from ad hominem jabs, but please try to forgive my rudeness. 

mods be gentle. 

anti theist and atheist go hand in hand when saying someone is anti theist. If you are anti theist then clearly you are also atheist. while yes this doesn't necessarily go the same way for atheists but it does for anti theist. In your opinion yes maybe it is but in my opinion religion is a big problem and while i dont say "death to all people who believe in religion" and i still think you have the right to believe in it but i just think it should stay out of school and politics as it warps the truth and causes harm. 

Also, what position are you in to make accusations of me not knowing what im talking about? i have made 2 posts, you don't know all my beliefs, i only stated a small portion of a few issues, if you would like to actually know what i believe in and oppose you should PM me and actually talk to me. I am sure if you are willing to we can have a nice discussion about this. 

Also, i dont like you trying to say what kind of person i am and talking down to. because you have always bee nice and i know you arent actually a jerk i wont report it but just know i expect higher of you than to try and take a low jab like that. 

Well, if you look at all of the results; the percentages increase and that shows that, it may not be the best but it is getting better. Stupidity can  be corrected, but forceful ingnorance cannot. Thankfully, most of the problems is stupidity. Now if only we can get rid of No Child left behind.