PSU Recommendation (Fully modular replacement)

Mattaeus
Go to solution Solved by MysticalRainXIV,
59 minutes ago, CromaT said:

There main reason i was to replace it is because i want a fully modular replacement and my current PSU is getting pretty old now, Had it since 2011, I am just looking for a fully modular replacement which will provide the required wattage I need with some additional headroom. So far I am leaning towards a 750-850watt.

A PSU in that wattage range should sit well in its efficiency peak under load. A top rated fully modular 750W PSU would be https://www.wootware.co.za/evga-220-g2-0750-xr-supernova-750-g2-750w-80-plus-gold-certified-fully-modular-desktop-power-supply.html as recommended by the Jonny Guru website. It scores a 9.8 out of 10, and should have all the cables you will need for GPU and CPU

Greetings all,

I have already gone through guide below:

My full system is below:

CPU: Intel I7 6700K (Stock for now but will OC in the future)
CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i
GFX CARD: MSI 1080GTX TI Lightning Z (Lightning Preset OC at the moment but, the chances of a manual OC in the future are high) *Website recommends a 750watt also requires 3x 8pin power connectors
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB (4X8GB) 3200Mhz DDR4
MOBO: MSI Z170A Tomahawk
CASE: Corsair Obsidian 750D
PSU: Cougar CM 1000W @ 80A (current PSU)
UPS: Mecer 2000VA Line Interactive
SOUND: Logitech G35 Headset + Creative A250 2.1
DISPLAY: Benq XL2411Z 24" 1920x1080 144Hz 1ms
SSD: Corsair Force LS 120GB
HDD1: Western Digital Black 3TB
HDD2: Western Digital Blue 3TB
MOUSE: Corsair M65 RGB + Razer Goliathus Control Edition Large Mouse Pad
KEYBOARD: G.Skill KM570 RGB Cherry MX Speed Silver Switches
FLIGHT CONTROLLER: Logitech Extreme 3D PRO
GAMEPAD: Logitech Rumblepad 2 Pro

The shop which i can order PSUs from is here: https://www.wootware.co.za/computer-hardware/power-supplies

The PSU calculator i used stated a 594 watt recommend PSU wattage which is dont trust that much. Any help or advice is appreciated.

PSU Calculators are bullshit because they only add the worst case sceario values and throw out a number that's way too high.

Just remove one HDD (or two) and see how much the value changes. Those Calculators usually use something between 25 and 50W prer HDD. That's not totally wrong because that's what the HDD is specified for - for less than a second...

And that the Motor of all HDD starts while you are gaming is a very unlikely situation...

Anyway, a good 500-550W PSU is fine. 

If you don't have the CPU yet, you should buy a 6 or 8 core CPU instead....

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

You could skate by with a 550 watt, but there's no point in cutting it that close, because then you'll run into the PSU being less efficient if that matters to you. Typically I'd say get a 750 or so, and I personally wouldn't run an OC'd 1080ti and an OC'd 6700k on a 550 watt, just way too close for comfort. A 750 would give you some room for upgrading down the road. If the current PSU you have (assuming its causing issues warranting a replacement) Is still in warranty, why not just RMA it?

Main Rig:

| 13900K@6.1/4.7 w/TVB | Corsair h150i Elite LCD | Sapphire NITRO SE+ 6900XT@2710MHz | ASUS Z790 Strix-E | Corsair DDR5 Dominator Platinum 2x16GB@6200MT/s | Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO |

My Folding Stats

15 minutes ago, MysticalRainXIV said:

.On a side note, you list a 1000w PSU in your build as you currently have it, whats wrong with that one?

There main reason i was to replace it is because i want a fully modular replacement and my current PSU is getting pretty old now, Had it since 2011, I am just looking for a fully modular replacement which will provide the required wattage I need with some additional headroom. So far I am leaning towards a 750-850watt.

59 minutes ago, CromaT said:

A PSU in that wattage range should sit well in its efficiency peak under load. A top rated fully modular 750W PSU would be https://www.wootware.co.za/evga-220-g2-0750-xr-supernova-750-g2-750w-80-plus-gold-certified-fully-modular-desktop-power-supply.html as recommended by the Jonny Guru website. It scores a 9.8 out of 10, and should have all the cables you will need for GPU and CPU

Main Rig:

| 13900K@6.1/4.7 w/TVB | Corsair h150i Elite LCD | Sapphire NITRO SE+ 6900XT@2710MHz | ASUS Z790 Strix-E | Corsair DDR5 Dominator Platinum 2x16GB@6200MT/s | Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO |

My Folding Stats

52 minutes ago, MysticalRainXIV said:

recommended by Jonny Guru himself

Last time he reviewed a PSU on the website was 5 years ago. It was probably Oklahomawolf

:)

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

Last time he reviewed a PSU on the website was 5 years ago. It was probably Oklahomawolf

You're right, but the name still carries weight, edited previous post for clarity.

Main Rig:

My Folding Stats

550-650W is plenty. The website carries the Leadex Gold for decent prices, relative to the others. 

:)

6 hours ago, CromaT said:

Lol no, your 1080Ti and i7 will never consume more than 450W. A 750W PSU is overkill. Get an 850W if you plan to SLI.

6 hours ago, MysticalRainXIV said:

Don't buy a PSU based on its "efficiency curve." Different topologies of PSUs are efficient at different loads and spending the extra to get to the 50th percentile (which isn't the most efficient point for most modern PSUs anyways) is a waste of money. A 550G2 would be fine for OP.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

7 hours ago, MysticalRainXIV said:

A PSU in that wattage range should sit well in its efficiency peak under load. 

No because modern PSU have the 'Peak Efficiency' somewhere between 30 and 80% load, it all depends on the design.

And in the 20-80% Range, especially with 230VAC Input Voltage, the 'Curve' is rather flat with differences between 1 and two percent. Not really worth talking about,.

And 750W is nonsense for a Single CPU/GPU System if we aren't talking about the fattest HEDT Plattform there is. Then you can think about that, else a 550W is more than plenty and won't be pushed hard at all.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"