Real Frustrating [High Temps on new Hardware]

Go to solution Solved by For Science!,
Just now, Satish Suthar said:

Realbench Stress Test put the CPU to 100 Degrees in a couple of seconds just like Prime95

mmmm I'm at a loss now, I think you've done everything okay, which leads me to think that something is up with the cooler itself, perhaps contact Corsair or your vendor and ask for a replacement. Also as others have suggested consider trying an air cooler to test if its the cooler itself that's the problem.

You live in a hot climate, right?   That may lead to some issues (though this is insane) and I recommend a delid or RMA

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

3 minutes ago, Damascus said:

You live in a hot climate, right?   That may lead to some issues (though this is insane) and I recommend a delid or RMA

Temperature here in my city at the moment is 23 Degrees Celsius so about 73 Degrees Fahrenheit. My room's cold enough now that the winter's on the way, it drops down to 19 and lower after 12 AM.

1 hour ago, Satish Suthar said:

Temperature here in my city at the moment is 23 Degrees Celsius so about 73 Degrees Fahrenheit. My room's cold enough now that the winter's on the way, it drops down to 19 and lower after 12 AM.

Wow, my ambient temp is like 12c in summer 

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

@Damascus @For Science! @Radium_Angel

So this talk about ambient temp reminded me that I came here during Winter and then the Summer came up as well and in summertime, it gets as high as 55 Degrees in here and not having any AC in this room, I also didn't pay any attention to the temperatures at that moment, nor did I change my thermal grease for long long time. Could it be that it damaged my cooler/CPU? if it did damage my CPU, that must not be an issue with my now recent 8700K so maybe the cooler's faulty because of that?

EDIT : Noticing another thing, that when I touch both the pipes of my cooler, one of them is warm while the other one is cool. Is that normal?

By warm, I mean real warm. While the other one's not at all warm, not one bit, it's normal room's temp.

16 hours ago, Satish Suthar said:

@Damascus @For Science! @Radium_Angel

So this talk about ambient temp reminded me that I came here during Winter and then the Summer came up as well and in summertime, it gets as high as 55 Degrees in here and not having any AC in this room, I also didn't pay any attention to the temperatures at that moment, nor did I change my thermal grease for long long time. Could it be that it damaged my cooler/CPU? if it did damage my CPU, that must not be an issue with my now recent 8700K so maybe the cooler's faulty because of that?

EDIT : Noticing another thing, that when I touch both the pipes of my cooler, one of them is warm while the other one is cool. Is that normal?

By warm, I mean real warm. While the other one's not at all warm, not one bit, it's normal room's temp.

The pipes may have some discrepancy in temperatures, but broadly speaking they should both gradually heat up. My gut feeling is that your board is pushing a little bit too much voltage onto the CPU causing it to go over temp. unfortunately im abroad so can' test my own 8700k for the voltage to give you some indicator.

Your cooler may be failing too but that' harder to test. 

55 degrees ambient should be no problem for both the cooler and the cpu.

7 minutes ago, For Science! said:

The pipes may have some discrepancy in temperatures, but broadly speaking they should both gradually heat up. My gut feeling is that your board is pushing a little bit too much voltage onto the CPU causing it to go over temp. unfortunately im abroad so can' test my own 8700k for the voltage to give you some indicator.

Your cooler may be failing too but that' harder to test. 

55 degrees ambient should be no problem for both the cooler and the cpu.

I have emailed Corsair, so far, they're ready to replace my unit without asking further questions, just have to wait to know where I'm supposed to ship the product for RMA.

I just want to know if it's actually my Cooler's fault so that I'll be in peace knowing the new product's going to help me.

Let's say it's my board as you say it is, what would that mean for my previous 4770K going above 80? That processor didn't hit 100 but I didn't stress test with Prime95 or RealBench that time anyway, I used to use Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. It easily went above 80 degrees though.

But 8700K is known to run hotter than usual chips.

And as for the pipes, one just never heats up, at all. The other one does and gets very warm.

I think I'll just have to RMA it and see

@For Science!

What you said about voltage thing, I was just watching this video yesterday, seems as though there's some issues with ROG STRIX motherboards.

However the guy says that the board mainly undervolts the CPU than the set limit.

Great news!

I figured it out for sure that it's my cooler that's failing. I got myself another Intel stock cooler after I asked this dude at the computer shop to give me the one from this brand new box of processor.

With this stock cooler + pre-applied paste to it, my idle temps gone down to 33 - 35 degrees.

This stayed below 75 for the most part when I was playing PUBG today. Mostly around 68-69 degrees.

Also, I got to check my GTX H100i on my friend's PC and his processor was going above 40-50 too. And about 95 degrees with stress test.

So I'll get my cooler replaced now! :D

So thank you everyone for trying to help me out here!

Especially @For Science!

te.png

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

Glad to hear the problem was found

Yes, I'm glad too! Processor being faulty is a much bigger concern than the cooler being faulty. So I'm glad it's just my cooler.

Though it wasn't found with the stock cooler I brought in before, but it worked this time with the new one.

Thanks, mate! You guys helped a lot.

12 hours ago, Satish Suthar said:

Glad to hear it was indeed a faulty cooler. Enjoy your cooler temperatures and hope you get gaming =)

2 minutes ago, For Science! said:

Glad to hear it was indeed a faulty cooler. Enjoy your cooler temperatures and hope you get gaming =)

Yes, I can at least game now if not work for quite some time as it'll take to get my replacement! :)

Hopefully in future, I could acquire the knowledge to go with custom loops like you guys.