Real Frustrating [High Temps on new Hardware]

Go to solution Solved by For Science!,
Just now, Satish Suthar said:

Realbench Stress Test put the CPU to 100 Degrees in a couple of seconds just like Prime95

mmmm I'm at a loss now, I think you've done everything okay, which leads me to think that something is up with the cooler itself, perhaps contact Corsair or your vendor and ask for a replacement. Also as others have suggested consider trying an air cooler to test if its the cooler itself that's the problem.

So I recently upgraded my PC, got new :

i7 8700K (I had 4770K), Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming Motherboard, 16GB (8x2) 3200 MHz G.Skill Trident Z RGB RAM, Corsair RM850X

I had the overheating issues with m 4770K and now after the upgrade, no matter how many times I changed my thermal paste from Arctic Silver 5 to Cooler Master MasterGel Maker, it doesn't work. I've tried countless different methods on each of these.

I was told here that the issue could be with my TIM and that I'd have to delid the CPU, now we don't have the Delid tools here in whole of India so I couldn't do it and then without proper tools, I couldn't risk destroying the processor by doing it.

Problem now is that after upgrading everything, I still have the same issue and it just got even worse!

The new Processor goes up to 100 degrees, and I tried changing paste again and again, still, nothing.

One thing I noticed : No matter how well I mount the pump of my existing Corsair GTX H100i, whenever I remove it, I see that the paste always goes to the sides and just doesn't stay in the middle, there's little to not paste in the middle every time no matter what I do and how much equal pressure I use, it's always uneven and always gets removed from the middle while it stays in the sides.

This is really frustrating me. The cooler/pump however, remains really cool.

I really need a solution to this, it's stopping me from working or playing, it's too frustrating at this point. I spent all day yesterday to ensure everything was clean and assembled well, in the end when I got everything working, it's now a headache.

You can look at the image.

load.PNG

Try mounting the aio a bit looser so that the thermal paste doesn't spread out as much?

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Is it a 100 degrees instantly or does it slowly rise to that temp? Your pump may be dead.

9 hours ago, thegreengamers said:

Try mounting the aio a bit looser so that the thermal paste doesn't spread out as much?

I tried that too, it's the same.

Another thing I noticed, the bottom of my pump looks a bit weird, idk if it was supposed to be like that, but to my eye, it seems like it's a bit pointy in the middle? From the reflection/light distorting on it, like how it would be on a cone. I know that the surface isn't flat for any heatsink but I don't know, maybe I'm thinking too much because of frustration.

Also, the surface of it has some dark and bright marks, I will take a picture of it now, if that helps.

9 hours ago, Almostbauws said:

Is it a 100 degrees instantly or does it slowly rise to that temp? Your pump may be dead.

Instant, literally after about 3 seconds of the test.

Instant, literally after about 3 seconds of the test.

Then the cooler doesnt make proper contact with the cpu.

Just now, Almostbauws said:

Then the cooler doesnt make proper contact with the cpu.

I will now proceed to remove the pump again and take pictures of the paste before I remove it and then after I remove it, to show the surface of my pump, maybe that might help.

Do you screw the pump in hard enough?

Just now, Almostbauws said:

Do you screw the pump in hard enough?

I did, first I used to screw it real tight then recently I thought that might be the reason for it not spreading correctly or getting to the sides instead of staying in the middle so I didn't screw very tight but still tight enough that it doesn't go anywhere and keeps the contact.

Had the same issue with my Kraken x52 this morning. Something is faulty so I am replacing it with a Corsair H100i

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel i9 12900K

CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H150i Elite Capellix

Mother Board: MSI z690 carbon WiFi

RAM: TeamSport Elite DDR5 2x16 4800mhz

Storage: 2TB Samsung 970 Plus NVMe, 240 SanDisk SSD Plus, Crucial MX300 750GB SSD

GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080 

Case: Corsair Crystal 460X

PSU: Cosrair RM850X 80+ Gold

Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p @ 165hz

Keyboard: Razer Black Widow Chroma

Mouse: Logitech G502

Sound: Sony MDR 1000x Headphones, Blue Snowball Microphone

Laptop Specs:

Gigabyte Aorus 15G

CPU: Intel i7 10875H

RAM: 16gb DDR4

Storage: 512gb NVMe, 1TB Crucial MX300 SATA SSD

GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 Max-Q

dump the water cooler, go back to the standard air cooler. If it solves the problem, then you know.

If the temp is still high, then the problem is elsewhere

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

4 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

dump the water cooler, go back to the standard air cooler. If it solves the problem, then you know.

If the temp is still high, then the problem is elsewhere

I dont' have my stock cooler with me anymore, It's been over 3 years that I've used the liquid cooler, first I used the regular H100i when I got my 4770K, then the pump failed but it showed in the Corsair Link at that time, when the pump failed. So I got GTX H100i back in Jan 2016 that I'm using right now.

I guess it's that this pump is gone too but I can't tell for sure since it doesn't show like it did with H100i

I dont' have my stock cooler with me anymore, It's been over 3 years that I've used the liquid cooler, first I used the regular H100i when I got my 4770K, then the pump failed but it showed in the Corsair Link at that time, when the pump failed. So I got GTX H100i back in Jan 2016 that I'm using right now.

I guess it's that this pump is gone too but I can't tell for sure since it doesn't show like it did with H100i

5$ and CL will get you an air cooler.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

11 minutes ago, Satish Suthar said:

I recently built a system with a 8700k and a h100iv2. no problem as you descrube. 75 degrees at "Auto" (MCE + XMp) using Realbench stress test.

Thermal paste spread is fine. you really just want to fill the cracks and not have a goop of paste. please see my pictures below for reference.

I had to do a wonky mount for my h100uv2 because it's, but it shouldn' make a difference. I mount it fairly strongly with a screwdriver though.

20171108_192939.thumb.jpg.d6808d0372cf77dc678499e31ce1b233.jpg

This is a good spread of Thermal paste.

20171107_191011.thumb.jpg.34f2489618fdbe077619d403dbc07b91.jpg

2 minutes ago, For Science! said:

If that's a good spread then I think it spread well for me too! I just saw the middle part and thought it just goes to the sides and not stay in the middle but now that I've seen yours, that's how mine looks as well when I remove the pump.

10 minutes ago, Satish Suthar said:

If that's a good spread then I think it spread well for me too! I just saw the middle part and thought it just goes to the sides and not stay in the middle but now that I've seen yours, that's how mine looks as well when I remove the pump.

do other programs like hwinfo64 say the same tempeature?

Just now, For Science! said:

do other programs like hwinfo64 say the same tempeature?

Yes they do. And Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility isn't supported with 8700K it seems because that says I'm trying to open it on unsupported device etc. But I'm pretty sure that'd tell me the same temperature.

6 minutes ago, Satish Suthar said:

Yes they do. And Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility isn't supported with 8700K it seems because that says I'm trying to open it on unsupported device etc. But I'm pretty sure that'd tell me the same temperature.

Have you updated to the latest Bios? might help

1 minute ago, For Science! said:

Have you updated to the latest Bios? might help

No, I didn't, the latest one was a beta I think. Let me do that.

21 minutes ago, Satish Suthar said:

No, I didn't, the latest one was a beta I think. Let me do that.

Also what program are you using to put load on? I would recommend Realbench since it would make it directly comparable my numbefs.

I used msi afterburner to log my numbers. idle at about 32 degrees and 75 degrees under load before delidding.

air_stock_auto.thumb.png.f04109c8f07a86482fee902765e2eec3.png

8 hours ago, For Science! said:

I used Prime95 for the benchmark. Since Intel Extreme Tuning Utility isn't supported.

I used to use IETU on my 4770K though.

Here are the pictures of the pump's surface, it looks deformed to me but I have never really looked at it before because when it arrived, it had the thermal grease pre applied to it. So I wouldn't know how it normally looks. If you guys could figure out anything from it.... If it looks normal then I don't know how else to troubleshoot, I tried touching it to see if the pump's dead when it's working or not, but it does vibrate.

Edit : It also lost some color in the middle, idk if that's normal too. The middle area looks more light than the rest.

@For Science!

@Almostbauws

As for the air cooler @Radium_Angel I have gotten an intel's stock cooler for LGA115X I think, it was there in a computer shop here, I just picked it up from there for free since the guy had no use of it. But the screws are so damn loose, I'll have to try and get something from elsewhere, this town that I live in, is a wasteland for PC enthusiasts.

I'll look for them online to grab one.

IMG_20171111_214019.jpg

IMG_20171111_214023.jpg

IMG_20171111_214030.jpg

17 minutes ago, Satish Suthar said:

Maybe you are using a too recent version of Prime95? are you nuking it with AVX?. Anyways, your cooler looks okay to me. Try realbench and tell us your numbers.

2 minutes ago, For Science! said:

Maybe you are using a too recent version of Prime95? are you nuking it with AVX?. Anyways, your cooler looks okay to me. Try realbench and tell us your numbers.

These are the temps when I'm playing PUBG, Jesus Christ.

I'll try realbench too but is there a point now?

pubg.png

pubg1.png

These are the temps when I'm playing PUBG, Jesus Christ.

I'll try realbench too but is there a point now?

pubg.png

pubg1.png

You see, the water in the cooler is getting dangeoursly close to the max of the pump (60 degrees ish and your water is 53) that means the cooler itself is working well, but somehow your processor is getting too hot to handle. maybe lower voltage or downclockl or disable mce

16 minutes ago, For Science! said:

You see, the water in the cooler is getting dangeoursly close to the max of the pump (60 degrees ish and your water is 53) that means the cooler itself is working well, but somehow your processor is getting too hot to handle. maybe lower voltage or downclockl or disable mce

Never done any of those, I'll have to google to know how do i do that. The max I've known is downclocking/overclocking. I'll check.

Edit : @For Science! Any tips on how much lower should the voltage be?

And I can't find anything about disabling "mce"

1 hour ago, Satish Suthar said:

Never done any of those, I'll have to google to know how do i do that. The max I've known is downclocking/overclocking. I'll check.

Edit : @For Science! Any tips on how much lower should the voltage be?

And I can't find anything about disabling "mce"

MCE, or multi core enhancement is ASUS BIOS setting that turbos all cores instead of the standard couple, I think its on the front page of the Extreme Tweaker tab. As for voltage, "the lowest that it is stable at" is the unfortunate answer so can't really help you, but probably below 1.35V if you are overclocked.