Real Frustrating [High Temps on new Hardware]

Go to solution Solved by For Science!,
Just now, Satish Suthar said:

Realbench Stress Test put the CPU to 100 Degrees in a couple of seconds just like Prime95

mmmm I'm at a loss now, I think you've done everything okay, which leads me to think that something is up with the cooler itself, perhaps contact Corsair or your vendor and ask for a replacement. Also as others have suggested consider trying an air cooler to test if its the cooler itself that's the problem.

43 minutes ago, For Science! said:

MCE, or multi core enhancement is ASUS BIOS setting that turbos all cores instead of the standard couple, I think its on the front page of the Extreme Tweaker tab. As for voltage, "the lowest that it is stable at" is the unfortunate answer so can't really help you, but probably below 1.35V if you are overclocked.

I haven't overclocked anything, I'm running at stock 3.70GHz, I only assembled everything just yesterday and I was surprised to see the temps that way when I turned on the PC.

Which is why I'm frustrated. I'll check with the MCE then, if that helps.

Here's what all that my BIOS shows.

I have updated the BIOS just about 20 minutes ago, before the update, the voltage of my CPU was about 1.104 but right now it shows 1.040, after the update.

IMG_20171112_035302.jpg

IMG_20171112_035410.jpg

IMG_20171112_035545.jpg

IMG_20171112_035451.jpg

1 minute ago, Satish Suthar said:

I can see that your H100i GTX is connected to the CPU fan header, you should set the fan curve of this cpu_fan header to "full speed" (or 100% all the time) on DC mode. The cooler requires a constant 12 V input

10 minutes ago, For Science! said:

I can see that your H100i GTX is connected to the CPU fan header, you should set the fan curve of this cpu_fan header to "full speed" (or 100% all the time) on DC mode. The cooler requires a constant 12 V input

Yes, it's connected to CPU_FAN header, even though there's AIO_PUMP header on my motherboard, because I read that the Mobo needs something plugged into CPU_FAN to be able to boot into windows at all or it would show an error.

Also, I just changed it to DC and put the speed to Full. Though that doesn't change the temps of course, it's all the same.

IMG_20171112_040327.jpg

6 minutes ago, Satish Suthar said:

Yes, it's connected to CPU_FAN header, even though there's AIO_PUMP header on my motherboard, because I read that the Mobo needs something plugged into CPU_FAN to be able to boot into windows at all or it would show an error.

Also, I just changed it to DC and put the speed to Full. Though that doesn't change the temps of course, it's all the same.

IMG_20171112_040327.jpg

Okay that is fine. Maybe to make sure that something in the XMP is doing weird, perhaps consider resetting CMOS or "load optimized defaults" and then just set the CPU_FAN header to full speed (as you have it now) again).

3 minutes ago, For Science! said:

Okay that is fine. Maybe to make sure that something in the XMP is doing weird, perhaps consider resetting CMOS or "load optimized defaults" and then just set the CPU_FAN header to full speed (as you have it now) again).

I'll do that now.

By the way I just went back into BIOS right now and for some reason, the thing changes back to PWM on its own, I can't keep it on "DC"

Is there any reason for that? When I click DC, there's no Apply option either (its greyed out). However, the option to keep it on "Full Speed" remains as it is.

I'll do that now.

By the way I just went back into BIOS right now and for some reason, the thing changes back to PWM on its own, I can't keep it on "DC"

Is there any reason for that? When I click DC, there's no Apply option either. However, the option to keep it on "Full Speed" remains as it is.

A bit strange....the BIOS should detect its a 3-pin fan header and keep it DC. But since PWM is a constant 12 V anyway it should be fine for your purposes for now.

17 minutes ago, For Science! said:

A bit strange....the BIOS should detect its a 3-pin fan header and keep it DC. But since PWM is a constant 12 V anyway it should be fine for your purposes for now.

So I know why it changes to PWM, it's because if I click "Full Speed" then it doesn't let me run "DC", it goes to disable it when I close the BIOS if I want to keep it on DC.

So what I've done is to go to the Advanced Menu and then under that, I changed it to DC Mode and manually set the numbers to 100 in Max/Mid/Low CPU Temp values. That does the same thing, right? It set the curve to full speed that way.

And now to the temperature : it's still the same.

IMG_20171112_042804.jpg

IMG_20171112_043839[1].jpg

Realbench Stress Test put the CPU to 100 Degrees in a couple of seconds just like Prime95

mmmm I'm at a loss now, I think you've done everything okay, which leads me to think that something is up with the cooler itself, perhaps contact Corsair or your vendor and ask for a replacement. Also as others have suggested consider trying an air cooler to test if its the cooler itself that's the problem.

Just now, For Science! said:

Alright, I have called my friend today and I'll be testing the temperature with his stock Intel heatsink that he's using (He has a 6th Gen i5) I suppose it'd work since the socket's LGA1151.

Surprisingly, his processor runs at 35 degrees and about 75 degrees on load (I changed his thermal paste too, with Arctic Sliver 5 a week ago)

If the temps are improved then I guess we know what's the culprit here. But the important question is : The stock heatsink of Intel that I'm gonna use, is it enough to keep it cool under 80 on stress test so that I know it's my cooler's problem? Or do I have to go with idle temps?

1 minute ago, Satish Suthar said:

Alright, I have called my friend today and I'll be testing the temperature with his stock Intel heatsink that he's using (He has a 6th Gen i5) I suppose it'd work since the socket's LGA1151.

Surprisingly, his processor runs at 35 degrees and about 75 degrees on load (I changed his thermal paste too, with Arctic Sliver 5 a week ago)

If the temps are improved then I guess we know what's the culprit here. But the important question is : The stock heatsink of Intel that I'm gonna use, is it enough to keep it cool under 80 on stress test so that I know it's my cooler's problem? Or do I have to go with idle temps?

Try Realbench, if it Instagoes to 100, try cinebench for me cinebench is 5 degrees cooler than realbench. if even that is too much try your PUBG.

so it'l be good to get those numbers for your AIO before swapping. (so just get cinebemch)

1 minute ago, For Science! said:

Try Realbench, if it Instagoes to 100, try cinebench for me cinebench is 5 degrees cooler than realbench. if even that is too much try your PUBG.

so it'l be good to get those numbers for your AIO before swapping. (so just get cinebemch)

Great! I'll do that. I'll update the thread tomorrow when I check it out.

I'd like to say thank you for taking your time and interest in this thread to try and help me out. I really appreciate it. :D

Have a nice day ahead.

@For Science! I wanted to ask one thing, it might take my friend one day to come back, he's out of town and so if I'm using my PC and the idle temps are going around 55-65 all the time, should I use my PC less so that it doesn't damage my CPU or is there no worry if I did use it? I'm not stressing it for anything, I'm not playing games.

But just wondered since I don't want to damage anything for not being careful.

Edit : Mostly it's about 49-60

2 minutes ago, Satish Suthar said:

@For Science! I wanted to ask one thing, it might take my friend one day to come back, he's out of town and so if I'm using my PC and the idle temps are going around 55-65 all the time, should I use my PC less so that it doesn't damage my CPU or is there no worry if I did use it? I'm not stressing it for anything, I'm not playing games.

But just wondered since I don't want to damage anything for not being careful.

Edit : Mostly it's about 49-60

I wouldn' worry about below 80ish so yeah I would say you'e okay.

1 hour ago, For Science! said:

I wouldn' worry about below 80ish so yeah I would say you'e okay.

I'm at this computer store right now and I can get one LGA775 cooler but the surface area on the bottom is small, do you think it could work?

IMG_20171112_172557.jpg

I'm at this computer store right now and I fan get one LGA775 cooler but the surface area on the bottom is small, do you think it could work?

IMG_20171112_172557.jpg

I don' think so. I wouldn't get something that isn' designed for 1151

1 minute ago, For Science! said:

I don' think so. I wouldn't get something that isn' designed for 1151

I have gotten an Intel stock heatsink for 1151-1155 but the pins are loose and when I tried to install it last night, the top left one got into the hole in the motherboard but remaining 3 just didn't get in like the first one, they were kinda half in, and the heatsink seemed to be intact too when I tried to move it with hand, it wouldn't but I don't know if that's good enough?

IMG_20171112_173439.jpg

not ideal but try to mount with pressure even if it means zipties or holding it down by hand I guess.

Hmm, I've ordered the original Intel's LGA1151 Stock Heatsink. It should be there tomorrow by noon, I'll go get it and just check from that one instead. I'll update the thread once done.

@For Science! @Radium_Angel

So I've checked with a new Intel Stock Cooler and my friend's (Who's using stock cooler of 6th Gen i5), with Arctic Silver 5 applied, both are giving the same results.

Idle : 40-60 on 20% load (spiking)

Stress test : 100 Degrees in a few seconds

PUBG : As shown in the picture. Around 90

This is so frustrating, I don't know what's happening any more.

The max now I could try is to use my liquid cooler on his PC....

It feels like the 1200$ I spent on upgrading just went to waste, god.

pubg2.png

If any of the information from HWMonitor helps. Just putting it out there, I'm back to using my GTX H100i for now.

hwm.PNG

Don't know how you'd fix this, but is it possible the HW monitoring probe on the 'board is damaged in some way and your CPU is in fact, running ok?

Especially if you've tried now, what? 3 coolers? and they are all giving the same temp range?

Either the CPU is defective, or the probe is.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

3 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Don't know how you'd fix this, but is it possible the HW monitoring probe on the 'board is damaged in some way and your CPU is in fact, running ok?

How'd I know that without taking any chances of destroying my PC if I keep it running with my processor on/above 100 Degrees? :(

Not only that, my last i7 4770 had heating issues as well. The main reason I changed everything just the night before making this thread.

Lorem ipsum

Edited by Petoovee
Woops, missed the screenshot

Excuse my broken keyboard

Spoiler

CPU - Ryzen 7 2700x

GPU - RX Vega 64

SSD - Samsung 970 M.2 500GB

HDD - WD Black 4TB

Mobo - Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming

RAM - 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4

PSU - Corsair RM1000x

2 minutes ago, Petoovee said:

Will be keeping an eye on this. Just installed an Eisbaer 280mm, from an 212 EVO, temps went from 74C to 78C in Prime95! Reapplied the paste twice now. Say, what's the lowest temp your CPU reads?

After putting my GTX H100i back on, today. The lowest is about 37 degrees on idle at 0-1% usage but it keeps spiking up from there, a very slight in change of CPU usage and it keeps going up to 60 degrees, and mostly keeping in b/w 45-55 or so.

Under any sort of stress test it shoots up to 100 degrees.