Strange Fps/refresh issue. Driving me mad

I would REALLY appreciate some help on this issue. I will try to explain as well as I can, but it might be hard to follow. I will split the sections into before and today.

Before today:

A couple of weeks ago I started PC gaming and have had some pretty significant issues since then.

The issue basically comes down to fps clearly dropping below 60 (or feeling so) but not actually doing so when monitoring using an fps counter.

At 120+fps it is the same, on low on very high settings. Regardless of fps it seems to be dropping below 60fps (or looks so). I think there is some sort of imbalance between my Gpu and monitor. It is not consistent, it drops randomly and but seems related to what's on screen. For example looking at the sky might display 140+fps, and when I look to a building it might be 130fps, but will look much choppier, like it's 40-50fps. This is consistent with what I'm looking at and remains the same.

I am using Rainbow six siege as a benchmark here, but it is present in all games.

At first:

I started gaming at 720p and noticed quite intense screen tearing. This is with V-Sync off and no framecap on Riva tuner. I won't use V-Sync (input lag), but it did stop it.

This is where it gets weird however. BEFORE today, after adjusting a few settings (which I can't remember) in the nvidia panel, and setting a custom resolution just below 720p there was no strange fps drops not correlated to the frame counter, however the tearing was bad.

So to recap, I could play without V-Sync or framecap without fps drops, but with significant tearing.

Today: 

Now after trying to fix the tearing, (including getting a better monitor) I now an at a different stage.

Now if I have V-Sync or framecap disabled I get the fps drops I spoke about. At every res, every refresh rate.

At 75hz 720p and 1080p it's obviously smoother, but the drops are still relative, so looking in certain places makes it seem below 60 AGAIN. So it's not my refresh rate.

Now if I framecap at 62fps on 60hz, the drops are completely eliminated, but once again I have awful tearing. V-Sync also fixed the issue.

What the HELL is going on?

I have :

1. Checked Cpu, Gpu temps and usage are within normal limits

2. Uninstalled all software, except for the games I'm testing. Even mouse software was gone.

3. DDU and tested 6 diffrent Nvidia drivers

4. Disabled Igpu in bios.

5. Overclocked monitor refresh rates

6. Tried every combination of Nvidia settings, high performance, optimizations etx.

7. Created custom resolutions. In siege I was displaying at 59.94 hz, I thought that might have something to do with it.

8. Reset components inside PC.

I am at my wits end. I don't know if it's some sort of hardware fault or what?

If anyone can figure this out, I will have to find some handsome reward to give.

Thanks

1 hour ago, johnukguy said:

What GPU, what monitor, what OS, what connection between GPU and monitor?

Hi, I'm running a Zotac Gtx 760, an Acer s27hl, Windows 10 and Hdmi.

If that monitor is new, I'd recommend returning it and getting either a smaller, cheaper 1080p or a full on 1440p overclockable 27" one, which you can also get for cheaper in many places, around $200. Other than that, I'd say that your graphics card is one issue here and is maybe in need of an upgrade. Also, check that your monitor has any drivers for it installed so that it's not being identified as a generic PNP one as that can cause issues too. Are you able to test a different GPU on that system?

38 minutes ago, johnukguy said:

If that monitor is new, I'd recommend returning it and getting either a smaller, cheaper 1080p or a full on 1440p overclockable 27" one, which you can also get for cheaper in many places, around $200. Other than that, I'd say that your graphics card is one issue here and is maybe in need of an upgrade. Also, check that your monitor has any drivers for it installed so that it's not being identified as a generic PNP one as that can cause issues too. Are you able to test a different GPU on that system?

The monitor is a pretty good one at £150, I very much doubt it is that. Secondarily The 760 is more than capable of maintaining 100+ fps and like I said the issue wasn't there the other day. I'm on disability in the Uk and trying to find a new Gpu is near impossible. 

I hear you on that, especially under Mayhem at the moment. In that case, given it's a new issue, then I'd be looking at driver settings. Specifically global profile settings vs individual game settings. For example there may be something like Vsync enabled in the Nvidia control panel, disabled in games, but overriding the ingame settings.

32 minutes ago, johnukguy said:

I hear you on that, especially under Mayhem at the moment. In that case, given it's a new issue, then I'd be looking at driver settings. Specifically global profile settings vs individual game settings. For example there may be something like Vsync enabled in the Nvidia control panel, disabled in games, but overriding the ingame settings.

Thanks go the help. Yeah I've tried quite a few combinations of settings within the nvidia control panel. I think I might have to face that is potentially a hardware issue and move on.