1060 3GB / Overwatch / part-time Mining - Good enough?

done12many2

Alright ladies/gents.  Thanks to @MageTank I just ordered an EVGA GTX 1060 3GB for my son.  Through his additional, borderline conniving magic, I was able to get it for $110, which leaves quite a bit in the budget for some games.  

My son is constantly talking about Overwatch and while I know it's popular, I know nothing about it.  He has a 24" 1080p screen at the moment, but I'm going to guess that 1440p is in his near future.  Is this realistically enough card to run the higher resolution screen if we end up getting him one?  He's 7, so maybe the 1080p screen will be good enough for a while longer.  Who knows?

While a 1070 is doable, it really reduces the amount of additional gifts he'll get for Christmas.  

I plan to mine with it whenever he's not using it.

You can't mine ethereum on a 3GB GPU anymore, but you could mine other things. The card will realistically work fine at 1440p except for a handful of games. At the magic voodoo price you got it for, yeah, get that. 1060 + more stuff >> Titan Xp Hybrid OC SLI + less stuff

Primary: CPU Core i7-4790K  |  MOBO Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H   |  RAM 24GB Crucial DDR3-1600 CL9  |  GPU XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition  |  CPU Cooler Thermaltake Frio Silent 14  |  Case Cooler Master N400  |  PSU Corsair CXM 750 Watt |  Boot Drive 500GB Samsung 850 Evo  |  Storage 500GB WD Laptop HDD + 2TB Toshiba HDD + 250GB WD Laptop HDD + 250GB WD Laptop HDD + 4TB WD Blue HDD  |  Monitor Acer XG270HU  |  Secondary Monitor Nixeus VUE-24  |  Tertiary Monitor Sony SDM-HS53  |  OS Windows 10

Secondary: (down for maintenance) CPU Core 2 Quad Q9300  |  MOBO (Asus P5N-E arriving soon)  |  RAM 8GB DDR2-800  |  GPU Visiontek Radeon R9 270  | CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper T2  |  Case Rajintek Arcadia  |  PSU EVGA 500 BV  |  Boot Drive 240GB PNY SSD  |  Storage 120GB Seagate PATA HDD  |  Removable Drives Sony PATA DVD RW Drive + 3.5 inch Floppy Drive  |  Monitor HP S2031  |  OS Windows 10

Yes the 1060 is well over enough for Overwatch on max settings, that game can be almost maxed out with older hardware like the 760. 

It will easily hit 150 FPS on 1080p high/ultra, 1440p should run 100fps nicely

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

3 minutes ago, Vroooom said:

You can't mine ethereum on a 3GB GPU anymore, but you could mine other things. The card will realistically work fine at 1440p except for a handful of games. At the magic voodoo price you got it for, yeah, get that. 1060 + more stuff >> Titan Xp Hybrid OC SLI + less stuff

Thanks for the mining info and I think I feel the same about more stuff is better than one really nice thing. 

2 minutes ago, Medicate said:

Yes the 1060 is well over enough for Overwatch on max settings, that game can be almost maxed out with older hardware like the 760. 

2 minutes ago, Damascus said:

It will easily hit 150 FPS on 1080p high/ultra, 1440p should run 100fps nicely

Thanks.  I'm hoping that he'll start to transition from all of this Roblox stuff to actual games.  xD

3 hours ago, done12many2 said:

Thanks to @MageTank I just ordered an EVGA GTX 1060 3GB for my son.  Through his additional, borderline conniving magic, I was able to get it for $110, which leaves quite a bit in the budget for some games.  

giphy.gif

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.