Why you people still on Windows 7

Eduard the weeb

I still use Windows 7 because it has better stability and reliability, allows the system user better control over the OS, it doesn't have the spying and data-theft of Windows 10 (depending on which updates a person has installed post 2015), it doesn't reset custom settings arbitrarily, it doesn't have in-OS ads, it has compatibility with some games that Windows 10 doesn't, and I much prefer the Windows 7 UI look, consistency, and its straight-forwardness. The start menu is also more functional and configurable, and it's faster to load various Windows programs like the calculator, photo viewer.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

I understand many view Windows 10 as a privacy concern, that's why I was on Windows 7 until just last year.  But the problem is that Windows 7 is already significantly aged and will probably go through the same process Windows XP goes through.  If you're concerned about privacy that much you need to switch to a fully free linux distribution, the truth is at some point you become even more vulnerable by using outdated software, and outdated security technologies like ransomware prevention and with the discontinuation of EMET Windows 10 is your only other solid choice for OS exploit mitigation. 

I'd also like to add that as one of my hobbys I run several large servers for private people, and one of these is used for high-availability private-use virtual machines, one of the clients wanted a custom virtual machine setup with Windows 7, it was declined because of the security concerns and because the whole domain is using new technologies, and so he was stuck with Windows 10.  I must've spent at least a few days of calls from this person asking about how to certain things.  I think this is how many people feel, they find new technology intimidating.  I don't necessarily think this is always the case with general application software, but with operating systems I'm sure it's much more prevalent. 

Anyway, I hope everyone understands that Windows 7 is going to slowly be sucked into oblivion until only the edge of that ugly aero is visible. I'm not criticizing anyone, I would've stayed with Windows 7 for an extended period but when I tried to upgrade my local install of SQLServer to 2017 it wouldn't allow it on Windows 7.  So... 

19 hours ago, HappyMouse said:

Hey I'm still using XP, so be quiet :P

nice 

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

Yeah I don't want it to seem I am attacking windows 7, XP, etc for being bad I just want to know because I know that Windows 10 is available for free on Windows 7 and 8 or at least at one point it was.

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

1 hour ago, jeremymwilson said:

For me, Windows 10 was the reason to finally quit MacOS. That and the vast number of games suddenly available to me. 

Yeah I perfer windows of Mac but windows 10 I think equals or is only slightly worse in appearance/ ascetic to MAC OS now days and Windows laptops like the XPS line up look better then mac books. 

1 minute ago, Eduard the weeb said:

Yeah I perfer windows of Mac but windows 10 I think equals or is only slightly worse in appearance/ ascetic to MAC OS now days and Windows laptops like the XPS line up look better then mac books. 

The XPS laptops are dope, and solid build quality too. Though I'm partial to Macs for the extra stability, there are lots of Windows laptops (especially the aforementioned XPS line and the Surface Book) that look really awesome as well. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

57 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

The XPS laptops are dope, and solid build quality too. Though I'm partial to Macs for the extra stability, there are lots of Windows laptops (especially the aforementioned XPS line and the Surface Book) that look really awesome as well. 

Not trying to say macs are shit I just wish one os was built for it and not another one. :D

I moved back to windows 7 after I got tired of daily BSODS, any audio trigger would cause a BSOD, plus I was getting a ton of audio stuttering when playback was working.  I don't play AAA games so DX12 doesn't matter to me.  I have a laptop with Windows 10 installed, but I use Linux more anyways so I don't boot into it much

On 11/7/2017 at 5:04 PM, Eduard the weeb said:

What is so amazing about windows 7 that Windows 10 isn't ?

I still use it for Remote Desktop

22 minutes ago, Nekotronics said:

I still use it for Remote Desktop

Windows 10 has it too...

On 11/7/2017 at 5:16 PM, Ryan_Vickers said:

Some people avoid it for "spying"

some people hate the forced updates

Actually that one is sort of related to me.  On my laptop I still use Windows 7 because Windows 10 forces the latest drivers it can find, and thanks to AMD, the latest driver is not one that works properly, so yeah.

Those are the absolute reasons that I stay the hell away from Windows 10. I will go to Win 8.1 before I come aboard the USS Windows 10. As the old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Microsoft is collecting data by the truck load, that is my biggest concern. It is none of their business what I do (type, download, save, etc.). The forced updates piss me off. I don't want certain updates/software installed because I either have no use for it, it sucks (ie. Internet Exploder), or I want to use software that I trust (anti-virus, anti-malware, etc.).

If Windows 10 was an updated version of Windows 7 just with a new look, newer code, even better stability, and other things like the DX12, I would embrace it and love it. However, with the above reasons, I reject it like that ugly fat chick at school.

Edited by dual290x

Instructions for frustration management:  

1) Sit at desk.   2) Repeatedly slam forehead against desk.

I never said I was smart, just smart enough to be dangerous.

ORLY?

……..'|:::::::,': : : : : : :_„„-: : : : : : : : ~--„_: |'
………|::::::|: : : „--~~'''~~''''''''-„…_..„~''''''''''''¯|
………|:::::,':_„„-|: : :_„---~: : :|''¯¯''''|: ~---„_: ||
……..,~-,_/'': : : |:    ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) : |: : : :|:  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)): \..|
……../,'-,: : : : : ''-,_______,-'': : : : ''-„_____|
……..\: :|: : : : : : : : : : : : : :„: : : : :-,: : : : : : : ?
………',:': : : : : : : : : : : : :,-'__: : : :_',: : : : ;: ,'
……….'-,-': : : : : :___„-: : :'': : ¯''~~'': ': : ~--|'
………….|: ,: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :: :
………….'|: \: : : : : : : : -,„_„„-~~--~--„_: :: |
…………..|: \: : : : : : : : : : : :-------~: : : : : |
You have been visited by the propane god, I tell ya hwat. Repost this on 5 more profiles or Hank Hill will bring the propain.

- credit to, @Cinnabar Sonar