Sound Blaster ZxR thoughts and opinions

Casual Hobbit

I remember seeing the ZxR a while back and immediately thinking "That's one sexy way to fill a PCIe slot." It may not be as "pretty" as some of the Sound Blaster cards but if you're looking for audio... Can we really care that much about looks? Whenever I'm looking for sound cards I always get drawn back to this one because it has great reviews. Most of the reviews mention how incredible the bass is but... I'm more of an acoustic listener, and I look sharp, crisp, vocals. I guess this topic should be about more than just the ZxR because I am looking for a good soundcard, but mostly I want to know if the ZxR lives up to what I've read online and that I'm not just being drawn to the look of the card. Down to business, is it worth the money? Am I the only one who adores the look? Am I stupid because I'm new to the forum and might be missing some important prerequisite before posting in this section? Just tell me what you guys think of the card, I'm not too worried about price, but if everyone agrees (and I've read online that some people would agree) that this just isn't worth the price, then I might keep looking.

Have a Great Night.

post-48517-0-80996900-1386388458_thumb.j

I remember seeing the ZxR a while back and immediately thinking "That's one sexy way to fill a PCIe slot." It may not be as "pretty" as some of the Sound Blaster cards but if you're looking for audio... Can we really care that much about looks? Whenever I'm looking for sound cards I always get drawn back to this one because it has great reviews. Most of the reviews mention how incredible the bass is but... I'm more of an acoustic listener, and I look sharp, crisp, vocals. I guess this topic should be about more than just the ZxR because I am looking for a good soundcard, but mostly I want to know if the ZxR lives up to what I've read online and that I'm not just being drawn to the look of the card. Down to business, is it worth the money? Am I the only one who adores the look? Am I stupid because I'm new to the forum and might be missing some important prerequisite before posting in this section? Just tell me what you guys think of the card, I'm not too worried about price, but if everyone agrees (and I've read online that some people would agree) that this just isn't worth the price, then I might keep looking.

Have a Great Night.

What will you be using it for? Headphone or speakers?

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

Please read the audio FAQ. Money can be spent on things that actually improve your audio, like buying better headphones.

And yes,  best to actually buy better headphones then going for a soundcard. 

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

Please read the audio FAQ. Money can be spent on things that actually improve your audio, like buying better headphones.

I already have a five or six pretty nice headphones, which is what I mainly use, but I also have some Hercules XPS 101's that I'm pretty fond of.

I already have a five or six pretty nice headphones, which is what I mainly use, but I also have some Hercules XPS 101's that I'm pretty fond of.

What would you consider your nicest headphone?

I have the basic edition of the Sennheiser HD 25-1 that I've been fairly fond of recently.

What would you consider your nicest headphone?

I have the basic edition of the Sennheiser HD 25-1 that I've been fairly fond of recently, but my friend is letting me break in his Razer Tiamat elite and I might have to pick one of these up because I'm loving the feel.

A soundcard shouldn't have "incredible bass" any more than your car's engine should have a good grip on the road.

lol nope

Enjoy those tacos now, for in 1000 years they will be illegal... eh Ha Ha Ha! I think we all know why.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give tacos ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Poker 2 KB Review

A soundcard shouldn't have "incredible bass" any more than your car's engine should have a good grip on the road.

my Ferrari  has static IP and it made me become a pro drifter / racer.

Enjoy those tacos now, for in 1000 years they will be illegal... eh Ha Ha Ha! I think we all know why.

That's one of the things that's been striking me as rather fishy about this card. If a lot of the reviews have things like that in them it's really hard to figure out which review I can count as helpful, so I turn to you guys.

That's one of the things that's been striking me as rather fishy about this card. If a lot of the reviews have things like that in them it's really hard to figure out which review I can count as helpful, so I turn to you guys.

So... want to hear our headphone recommendations instead?  B)

Honestly, with an output impedance of 33 Ohms, you're more likely to get powerful bass out of your onboard with low impedance headphones.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

So... want to hear our headphone recommendations instead?  B)

Why not... Just going to play that one off like I meant to do that.

Why not... Just going to play that one off like I meant to do that.

For $220 (about the price of the ZXR) you could get some AKG Q 701's. Their treble is pretty outstanding which would be good for acoustic music. Unfortunately, you would need some decent amplification due to it's low sensitivity, which adds extra cost.

For about $150, the audio-technica ATH-AD700X is a good all-rounder, and doesn't need an amp.

For about $50, the Pioneer SE-A1000 is great - the price is just a bonus because the MSRP is $150.

For $220 (about the price of the ZXR) you could get some AKG Q 701's. Their treble is pretty outstanding which would be good for acoustic music. Unfortunately, you would need some decent amplification due to it's low sensitivity, which adds extra cost.

For about $150, the audio-technica ATH-AD700X is a good all-rounder, and doesn't need an amp.

For about $50, the Pioneer SE-A1000 is great - the price is just a bonus because the MSRP is $150.

What would you consider a decent amp for the AKG Q 701's? The FiiO E10 or something with more power?

What would you consider a decent amp for the AKG Q 701's? The FiiO E10 or something with more power?

E10 or something thing like the O2

What would you consider a decent amp for the AKG Q 701's?

An Objective2 is all the amp anyone would ever need. I think you can get a kit to build it yourself for about a hundred bucks. Then there's a FiiO E10 DAC and amp that is sufficient - it's normally 80 bucks.

You might be able to get away with something like a FiiO E6 to boost your onboard signal.

An Objective2 is all the amp anyone would ever need. I think you can get a kit to build it yourself for about a hundred bucks. Then there's a FiiO E10 DAC and amp that is sufficient - it's normally 80 bucks.

You might be able to get away with something like a FiiO E6 to boost your onboard signal.

you can boost my signal if you snift my drift.

you can boost my signal if you snift my drift.

last time I did that I ended up with a muddy top end and my face looked like this :blink:

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.