How can I stop trying to move over to PS4?

Underi

I think I have a problem. I own a decent gaming PC, which I obviously use to play. I have over 100 games on Steam, a dozen on both uplay and origin. I also happen to own a PS4, which is my big problem. I want to start playing on the PS4 and I don't know why.

There is a certain type of charm in playing on a console, with a controller. I don't mind 30FPS that much, on PC it is unacceptable, but on PS4, since it is locked, it isn't as annoying.

I have been trying to buy games on it, especially exclusives, but then I look at the price tag, 60 euros. I go on to kinguin and I pay 40 euros for it. Any indie game is like 10-15, on PS4 it is 20-30 euros. That's why I don't want to buy games on the PS4.

I also feel like I don't have any games on PC that I could play with a controller, which is true, because I feel like all the racing games I have are on the PS4. The Crew, being the only one. On PC, I have way too old Grid, The Crew which I picked up for free and Dirt 3.

Now you notice that I have more on the PC, but Dirt 3 is way too boring without a proper story, The Crew I played through on the PS4 so I have no intention to do it on PC and Grid is just too old and realistic for me.

I also own some Assassin's Creed games which I love and which are great to play on a controller, but I just don't feel like playing them.

I seriously don't understand what is my problem. PC is a better alternative, cheaper games, runs faster, better graphics, and I also have this Xbox one controller to go with it. Then again PS4 has exclusives, but is more expensive, 30FPS and that's it. Yet I want to play on the PS4. I feel like I wasted a lot of money on it for nothing because I don't use it. There is also something magical about playing on a console. Maybe it is just that it is so casual.

My stuff:

Spoiler

CPU :  Intel i5 8400 | GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3600MHz

Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO SE | Keyboard : Mountain Everest Max w/ Cherry MX Brown

Headset : Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro 250Ω w/ AT2020USB+

Monitor : Acer XF240H @  144Hz

"Upgradable" is the key component of PC, so if you aren't satisfied you can upgrade the parts

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

you can plug the pc into a tv , and the pc has hundreds of different controller options. you can buy pretty much any controller and plug it into the pc and map the controls for any game. 

heck there's even a plugin that allows you to use the 360 controller as a mouse in windows.

@Underi Yeah, I agree, there is something magical that even without logic. I still don't know why I've bought Xbox One year ago and when I want to sell it, I'm starting to make excuses. I also want PS4 :D

Maybe you just like things to be more cinematic?

Or you just like playing on a tv more than on your monitor?

hook your pc up to your tv, start in big picture mode and pretent its a console :P.

7 hours ago, huilun02 said:

I think I know your problem. 

You're into S&M

Not really. :D

My stuff:

Spoiler

CPU :  Intel i5 8400 | GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3600MHz

Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO SE | Keyboard : Mountain Everest Max w/ Cherry MX Brown

Headset : Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro 250Ω w/ AT2020USB+

Monitor : Acer XF240H @  144Hz

I'm with you OP, i like my sofa+console gaming too.

I don't bother with xbox because i have a high end PC but a PS4-PS4 pro is well worth owning for games like The Last of Us (Part 2 coming next year) and the Uncharted series.  Oh, and Red Dead Redemption 2 is coming next year also, another good reason to have a console.  

Edit: I think you're just harboring some hidden shame because of the whole console peasant thing, its completely ridiculous to hate on consoles//console players, we're all gamers :)

I'm on the same boat, only from different reasons. Lately i have made some soul searching regarding my gaming experience as a whole.

Always been a hybrid gamer, started from consols then bought a pc. Back and forth, always. I had a small dream as a kid.

Build myself a satisfying gaming computer. Sold all of consoles, got a job, paid bills. Got the money and build it.

Fast forward, 164 games on steam,  30 on origin and about 12 on youplay. Still, i feel empty. I feel like i don't have games to play.

I think i went to far into the rabit hole of pc hardware. Constant upgrading, tweaking, overcoming fucking obsticles that pc port developers provided.

Always, searching and looking for new shit to add to the rig. I started to do everything EXCEPT gaming. And in 6 years of having gaming rig i completed 15 games total.

Where when i hada  ps3 i completed about 30games in a year. Somehow PC sucked the enjoyment from gaming from me. It's weird. I have decided to buy a ps4 when i'll have the money to spare. But i feel ya.

Wow you pay full price on PS4 games? The only PS4 game I ever paid $60 for was Persona 5. Otherwise it's pretty easy in the US to find good discounts on games once they have been out a month or so. I paid $36 for Nioh (and sold it to Gamestop for $40 once I was done with it) a month or two after release. I paid $35 for NieR Automata (though that game is way better on PC). $40 for Yakuza 0. I paid $50 for Horizon Zero Dawn but only because I wanted to have that game on launch day. I think I paid $6 for the God of War Remaster, $10 for Ratchet & Clank, and $10 for The Last of Us. $18 for Bloodborne. Also all games were either new physical copies or digital off the Playstation Store. I generally haven't found Playstation to be any more expensive than PC for buying games except for really old stuff, since old PS3 games tend to be $5 or so while old Steam games are often $2 to $3 in sales.

On 10/30/2017 at 5:19 AM, SteveGrabowski0 said:

it's pretty easy in the US to find good discounts on games once they have been out a month or so

I'm happy to pay full price for the franchises i really love, i cant imagine dodging spoilers on the internet for a month or so just to save a few dollars on a title ive been looking forward to for years

11 minutes ago, Newenthusiast said:

I'm happy to pay full price for the franchises i really love, i cant imagine dodging spoilers on the internet for a month or so just to save a few dollars on a title ive been looking forward to for years

True. I will almost certainly buy Red Dead Redemption 2, Days Gone, and God of War on launch date, price be damned, as long as the reviews are good. Those are the 2018 games I have been looking forward to since E3 2016 and are a major part of why I even bought a PS4 (Playstation's 2016 E3 was killer).

1 hour ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

major part of why I even bought a PS4

Yeah, if it wasn't for Naughty Dog i may very well have just got an X-box One X (fuck that name is irritating) or maybe no console at all if RDR2 came to PC at some point.  I must say though after playing the new Assassins Creed game on a PS4 pro with a good 4k TV it looks amazing, im very excited for what is to come :) 

1 hour ago, Newenthusiast said:

Yeah, if it wasn't for Naughty Dog i may very well have just got an X-box One X (fuck that name is irritating) or maybe no console at all if RDR2 came to PC at some point.  I must say though after playing the new Assassins Creed game on a PS4 pro with a good 4k TV it looks amazing, im very excited for what is to come :) 

I bet we do end up seeing RDR 2 on PC considering Rockstar is talking about having a GTA Online kind of MP for it. They have made huge money off PC gamers on GTA Online. I was reading an article maybe a month back quoting anonymous devs from Rockstar San Diego who say we never got PS4/XB1/PC remasters because the codebase was such a clusterfuck that they barely got running on the last gen consoles. It seems pretty consistent with how god awful the PS3 port of RDR is and is about the only reason that makes any sense for them not to have done a current gen RDR1 remaster that would have printed money for them. So don't write RDR 2 for PC off just yet.

2 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I bet we do end up seeing RDR 2 on PC considering Rockstar is talking about having a GTA Online kind of MP for it.

Yeah but if we do it'll be a long time after the console releases, they'll wait until the console sales start cooling off then bring out the PC version so people like me will buy it again, i wont be doing the same thing again though that's for sure.  They can take their online micro-transaction infested bullshit and shove it up their asses, single player only here. 

5 hours ago, Newenthusiast said:

Yeah but if we do it'll be a long time after the console releases, they'll wait until the console sales start cooling off then bring out the PC version so people like me will buy it again, i wont be doing the same thing again though that's for sure.  They can take their online micro-transaction infested bullshit and shove it up their asses, single player only here. 

I'll probably get RDR 2 PC in the CODEX sale just like I did with GTA V since I already bought that game full price on 360 and I'll certainly buy RDR 2 for full price on PS4. Yeah no way I could wait a year and a half like we had to for GTA V PC.

Protip: don't be an elitist fuck.

Trust me when I say that not being that changes you for the better. You get to enjoy the perks of owning a PC and also enjoy the games you want on a console once you break away from the "muh PC" attitude.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

On 10/28/2017 at 3:26 AM, L.Lawliet said:

But only play console for their exclusives and nothing more.

Or games that just don't benefit a ton from being on PC.

I prefer to play all my Japanese games on the PS4 over the PC. Why?

1) Physical copy (yes, I still care about this lol)

2) I get to add to my trophy collection

3) There just isn't that big of a difference in many cases.

4) Sometimes they can be more hassle on the PC. For instance, Gal Gun Double Peace. I'm working on getting all the trophies for it on the PS4 and I haven't experienced a single bug. I was just looking on the Steam forums and people are having a ton of problems. I'd just rather not deal with that for a game like GGDP. If it was a AAA shooter or something, sure, I would mess around to get it running just right on PC but for an offline RPG, it isn't worth it for me.

5) Sometimes my friends get the console version and I want to play with them. I played through The Division twice now on PS4 and it was a great experience. Sure, I would have loved to play with with a m/k (especially for a game like the Division) and have better graphics, but ultimately, playing with my friend was way more important. 

On 10/31/2017 at 10:07 AM, Dan Castellaneta said:

Protip: don't be an elitist fuck.

Trust me when I say that not being that changes you for the better. You get to enjoy the perks of owning a PC and also enjoy the games you want on a console once you break away from the "muh PC" attitude.

100% agreed. I have a gaming PC and will probably upgrade to a GTX 1070 at some point so it will be quite capable, but I still play my consoles a ton, everything from the PS2 to the XBox One. I even play a little mobile and handheld (PSP and Vita).

Because of this, I have a very rich gaming experience. There isn't much that I can't play. Sure, the PC is better in many ways but consoles have their advantages too. You will have to pry them out of my cold, dead hands lol.

1 hour ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

100% agreed. I have a gaming PC and will probably upgrade to a GTX 1070 at some point so it will be quite capable, but I still play my consoles a ton, everything from the PS2 to the XBox One. I even play a little mobile and handheld (PSP and Vita).

Because of this, I have a very rich gaming experience. There isn't much that I can't play. Sure, the PC is better in many ways but consoles have their advantages too. You will have to pry them out of my cold, dead hands lol.

How does PS2 look on a modern TV in your opinion? I have heard people say it's one of the worst consoles on modern TVs because of most games being able to run only in interlaced 480i mode while stuff like Dreamcast and even PS1 can look good on new TVs. I have always been tempted to pick up a fat and put an IDE drive in the hard drive slot to play roms off the hard drive, but the talk about how bad the image quality is has kept me from doing it. Especially when I can use PCSX2 to render at a higher resolution.

I agree, it's nuts to limit yourself to one platform when there are so many great games spread across them. The only platform I don't care about is XBox One since I can play Gears of War 4 on my PC and Gears 1-3 on my 360.

33 minutes ago, L.Lawliet said:

I dont play japanese games even though i am japanese..its just most of em are crap only a few of em are considered to be good mostly aaa title like ninja gaiden series,parasite eve or final fantasy and resident evil. so yeah but dead to right retribution was a thing..

Funny you say that because I know a lot of Westerners think Western games are crap and they prefer Japanese games lol. Personally, I love both. 

Parasite Eve is one of my favorite series ever and just as a testament to how great of a game the original was, I didn't first play it until well into the 7th generation of consoles so by then the graphics were were quite outdated. Of course FF is fantastic as well. 

30 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

How does PS2 look on a modern TV in your opinion? I have heard people say it's one of the worst consoles on modern TVs probably because of most games being able to run only in interlaced 480i mode while stuff like Dreamcast and even PS1 can look good on new TVs. I have always been tempted to pick up a fat and put an IDE drive in the hard drive slot to play roms off the hard drive, but the talk about how bad the image quality is has kept me from doing it.

I agree, it's nuts to limit yourself to one platform when there are so many great games spread across them. The only platform I don't care about is XBox since I can play Gears of War 4 on my PC and Gears 1-3 on my 360.

Well, I had it hooked up to old 40" Toshiba Regza (I don't have the exact model number on hand) and I thought it looked really good all things considered. I had it running through my Denon 3808CI though so it was working its magic to make the picture look a little better while upscaling it, so that may have helped. I was using component cables for the best possible quality and would never stretch out a 4:3 image. I think that helped quite a bit. I know a lot of people can't stand having black bars on the side and will stretch the image out. I always install a widescreen patch if one is available though.

So yeah, I was pretty happy with the quality. It may have looked better hooked up to something from the era but playing on a modern display (if you can call my really old Regza modern) was an enjoyable experience. Now, that said, I just bought a new 55" Sony X900E which happens to be a 4k display. I have not yet played PS2 on it since I've only had the TV a few days but I have a feeling my eyes will really need to adjust. Honestly, I feel like 7th gen games like on the 360 actually look better on my old 1080p display than they do on my new one. Even playing 1080p games on modern consoles can reveal a lot more imperfections than were previously noticeable.

Next time I play my PS2, I can let you know how it looks on a modern 4k display.

Also, the PS2 is actually able output 480p. You have to press X and triangle when starting the console to initiate it and not all games support it. Here is a list of games that do: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_2_games_with_alternate_display_modes

I highly recommend picking up a fat and throwing in a hard drive. It's pretty sweet because then you can replace the English dub with the Japanese audio track in some cases when dual audio wasn't offered and you can install widescreen patches. I believe you can force 480p in some cases where the game didn't natively support it as well. At least IIRC. Modding my PS2 was one of the best things I have ever done.

Play what you want to play on whatever you want to play it on. Who cares what others think as long as you're having fun.

I personally have all the modern consoles, save for the Xbox One X, as I already have an Xbox One S and figured it'd be better to put that cash on a GTX 1080, which I did. So for me now, if it is available on PC and supports controller, that's the version I get. Barring horrible port or DRM problems (e.g. Assassin's Creed Origin right now). Yeah, this renders the Xbox One S less useful, as I'd get the PC version now. But still good for 4K UHD BD playback and games via backwards compatibility (only for convenience since it can prevent me from having to dig out the 360 or original Xbox). PS4 Pro is the default for me for console only games. I do like like my Japanese games like Persona 5 and Nioh, though the latter is headed to PC in a few days. The Gust and Falcom JRPGs are regularly on PC too nowadays though, along with the upcoming Ni no Kuni II, so maybe I won't need a PS console if this trend keeps up. I'm not too big on Sony's first party games. And Nintendo, well I love their games, so I always buy into them :P

2 hours ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

I highly recommend picking up a fat and throwing in a hard drive. It's pretty sweet because then you can replace the English dub with the Japanese audio track in some cases when dual audio wasn't offered and you can install widescreen patches. I believe you can force 480p in some cases where the game didn't natively support it as well. At least IIRC. Modding my PS2 was one of the best things I have ever done.

I've been enjoying the SNES Classic that I've been thinking of how to get back into PS2 gaming. I was just thinking of getting the network adapter and HDD for my fat PS2 since the lens is dying. It only can read CDs (blue discs) in the vertical position now. Modded PS2 to play backups of my games sounds like the way to keep this thing running without worrying about the lens. How tricky was it to accomplish this? I also see unofficial SATA adapters (not network on those, but doesn't matter at this point) to use modern drives. Not sure how tricky it is to set up the hard drive. It sounded like the modded software on mem card is easier to just buy a premodded one online.

3 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

How does PS2 look on a modern TV in your opinion? I have heard people say it's one of the worst consoles on modern TVs because of most games being able to run only in interlaced 480i mode while stuff like Dreamcast and even PS1 can look good on new TVs. I have always been tempted to pick up a fat and put an IDE drive in the hard drive slot to play roms off the hard drive, but the talk about how bad the image quality is has kept me from doing it. Especially when I can use PCSX2 to render at a higher resolution.

I agree, it's nuts to limit yourself to one platform when there are so many great games spread across them. The only platform I don't care about is XBox One since I can play Gears of War 4 on my PC and Gears 1-3 on my 360.

Actually, quite the opposite. I recently started up a PS2 game on my 32" 768p panel, and was surprised to see the game looking reasonably good. 

Of course, barring any glitches (depending on the game), emulation gets you far better image quality with higher resolution settings.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

It is the hassle and nerves on PC side that drives your mind to give up on this platform. 

Consoles may be a worse alternative, since the games will run slower and etc, but on console you just take a controller in the hand and play, dont bother about anything else, maybe put disc into the driver from time to time and thats it. 

Your feeling a fun coming from a console, gaming system should deliver it and dont stress you out about if you could play on this option or the other one and etc. You know, whatever game you are going to buy for ps4 its going to work, where on PC the experience is limited due to the high expectations. You are not going to pull out the fun from pc anymore, you are questioning it, is it worth to play new games on it, and what if those games will actually work worse than the older ones you used to play earlier? Thats the thing. 

You choosing reliability and simplicity over pure power option that is not fun to play sometimes. Online gaming in that matter is incredibly hardcore on PC due to the people having reaction way faster than average person and cheaters. 

I am not surprised at all, in the life of a PC gamer there is going to be a time when you are asking yourself, why cant i just get a controller and play without bothering about anything? 

Also, you could buy a second hand game discs on consoles, it is as cheap as it gets on PC sometimes. 

It might be an answer you already thought of? but is it possible to have both? A PS4 will be fairly cheap nowadays, and if you only want a few games, it may well be worth it.