Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo vs S7

rip

I have an S5 Neo and want to upgrade to an S7

Upon looking I saw the S7 has a 3000Mah battery vs a 2800Mah on on S5 Neo? How much difference would it make?

Number wise it's only a 7% increase and I already constantly running low on my phone battery (I am a heavy user)

Would the processor be more energy efficient and consume less batter and with the 200mAh increase make it run longer?

Cause spec wise S5 Neo vs S7 https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=6506&idPhone2=7821

Talk time: Up to 15 h (3G) -- Up to 22 h (3G)

Music play: Up to 73 h -- Up to 62 h

If anyone knows a phone of similar performance. I don't need a higher res screen, 1080p is fine.

I want a somewhat good build quality as my S5 neo back is made out of plastic and easily damaged.

IP68 is cool but I have soaked my S5 Neo in the pool take a quick picture and it remained fine (it's IP67).

microSD card slot is a must, 1080p60 camera is nice though i rarely use my phone to record videos. 

here some options that I have: LG G5, S7 prev mentioned, LG G6 (+100 more), S7 Edge (+100 more)

I heard of LG's boot loop but if it happened can I RMA it? Cause the G6 looks really tempting spec wise but the massive battery on the S7 Edge (though would 3300 be more than enough or 3600 is still nice)

So TL;DR S5 Neo -> LG G5/G6 or S7/S7 Edge. Worth paying $100 more for G6/Edge or not?

rip

Go for it, the Galaxy S7 is fantastic.

I've had mine for over a year now and it still works great. With normal/light use I can still easily get a day or more out of it.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

The S7 is a pretty nice phone and it has good battery life. Personally I'm a bit of a V20 fanboy because it is a dope-ass phone, but I realize a phone like that isn't everyone's cup of tea, even though the battery is mint.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

19 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

Go for it, the Galaxy S7 is fantastic.

I've had mine for over a year now and it still works great. With normal/light use I can still easily get a day or more out of it.Edge 

17 minutes ago, tmcclelland455 said:

The S7 is a pretty nice phone and it has good battery life. Personally I'm a bit of a V20 fanboy because it is a dope-ass phone, but I realize a phone like that isn't everyone's cup of tea, even though the battery is mint.

thanks for the input

1. In an extreme scenario, how long did Battery last? (and what scenario is it)

2. Any visual damage on your phone after 1 year of use? Mine is about 1.5 year and already visible scratches (I previously had an otterbox phone case but removed due to bulkiness so it's now bare phone)

3. How long does it take to charge from dead ass state 0% to fully 100%?

4. Is the extra 600mAh worth the $100 increase price tag on an S7 Edge? Is there anywhere I can see what phone mAh roughly translate to real life use?

5. How is custom ROM. Lineage for example?

(random rant: my grandma actually has an S7 Edge that she use to take pictures and browse Facebook with Web browsing (reading news mostly). That's it. She isn't techy enough to do more power demanding task and she doesn't need to cause well, she is retired a long time ago... I did get a short use of it but not enough to really experience it all through)

I will also look at Linus' reviews of the S7 and S7 Edge (if I can find it but I think he did it hopefully)

And lastly, any reason for not recommending LG?

rip

6 minutes ago, rip said:

thanks for the input

1. In an extreme scenario, how long did Battery last? (and what scenario is it)

2. Any visual damage on your phone after 1 year of use? Mine is about 1.5 year and already visible scratches (I previously had an otterbox phone case but removed due to bulkiness so it's now bare phone)

3. How long does it take to charge from dead ass state 0% to fully 100%?

4. Is the extra 600mAh worth the $100 increase price tag on an S7 Edge? Is there anywhere I can see what phone mAh roughly translate to real life use?

5. How is custom ROM. Lineage for example?

(random rant: my grandma actually has an S7 Edge that she use to take pictures and browse Facebook with Web browsing (reading news mostly). That's it. She isn't techy enough to do more power demanding task and she doesn't need to cause well, she is retired a long time ago... I did get a short use of it but not enough to really experience it all through)

I will also look at Linus' reviews of the S7 and S7 Edge (if I can find it but I think he did it hopefully)

And lastly, any reason for not recommending LG?

1. Define extreme scenario.

2. Some slight scratches, but nothing really noticeable. I had my phone in a SUPCASE Unicorn Beetle case for the first year or so, then got a dbrand skin and have been using it with just that for a few months now.
3. If you use the fast charger, maybe an hour to an hour and a half. I rarely let my phone get that low, so I don't know for sure.

4. If you like the edge's size and screen, go for it, otherwise just stick with the normal S7. I doubt the difference would be more than like 30 mins.
5. Never used a custom ROM on my S7.

The only LG phone I've had was a POS, and I haven't had much luck with LG products being good in the past, so I wouldn't trust them with something I rely on as much as my phone.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Just now, TheKDub said:

1. Define extreme scenario.

2. Some slight scratches, but nothing really noticeable. I had my phone in a SUPCASE Unicorn Beetle case for the first year or so, then got a dbrand skin and have been using it with just that for a few months now.
3. If you use the fast charger, maybe an hour to an hour and a half. I rarely let my phone get that low, so I don't know for sure.

4. If you like the edge's size and screen, go for it, otherwise just stick with the normal S7. I doubt the difference would be more than like 30 mins.
5. Never used a custom ROM on my S7.

1. Let's say gaming+music watching all the time

2. Forgot to ask, the back is metallic right? Cause mine is a fimsy plastic that can be broken quite easily, in fact some corners have been broken already and with my habit of constantly wanting to open things up for no reason 

3. 1hr-2hr seems much faster than I would expected

4. Yeah guess the $100 isn't worth it

5. S7 has a lot of custom ROM support so I guess won't be hard figuring on my own

rip

Battery quality and software optimizations make it so a battery with the same Mah can have very different powered on time on two different phones. Case and point the S8 also has a 3000Mah battery but would have better battery life than the S7. That being said the S7 should be far better on battery life alone over the S5 neo. I know the S8+ is a different world entirely but my S8+ lasts 1.5-2 days no problems and I have owned it since the day it was released in April. Whereas my S6 Edge+ I had previously would last 1 day and that was it. 

The S7 is a great phone and will be a big upgrade from an S5.

AMD Motherboard Tier List  GPU Cooling Tier List  PSU Tier List  A Dive Into Custom Keyboards & Mechanical Switches

NEWCOMERS Remember to ' Reply ' to comments in order for people to see them, this is done by clicking the arrow icon at the bottom of a comment (Quote).

My Builds:

MEGA Desk Build

Blueberry Pi  R9 3950X  Asus X470 ROG Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi ATX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 4x16GB 3200MHz CL16  EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition 11GB  EVGA P2 850W w/ Blue Sleeved Cables  Cryorig R1 Universal (Blue)  2x Corsair Force MP510 4TB w/ Asus Hyper m.2 V2  Corsair ML Pro Blue LED Fans  Fractal Design Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower  

Asus ROG SWIFT PG348Q 100Hz IPS G-Sync UW  Dell UltraSharp U3419W 60Hz IPS UW  Custom TOFU96  Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB 

Work Rig  ThreadRipper 3970X  Asus Prime TRX40 Pro ATX  G.Skill RipjawsV 8x32GB 3200Mhz CL16  Nvidia Quadro RTX 6000 24GB  Corsair HXi 1000W  EVGA CLC 360 AIO  8x Sabrent Rocket 2TB w/ 2x Asus Hyper m.2 V2   Arctic P12 Fans  Phanteks P400A ATX Mid Tower 

Plotting Machine 1  ThreadRipper 2990WX  AsRock X399 Taichi ATX  Kingston HyperX Fury 8x16GB 2666Mhz CL18   Nvidia Quadro K600 1GB  Corsair RMx 850W  EVGA CLC 360 AIO ‖ 2x Sabrent Rocket 2TB & 2x Sabrent Rocket 4TB w/ Asus Hyper m.2 V2  Arctic P12 Fans  Rosewill RSV-L4500 4U  5x Dell DS60 60-bay JBOD w/ 1.2PB of HDD Storage  HP 22U Half Rack

Plotting Machine 2  R9 3950X  Asus TUF X570-Plus Wi-Fi ATX  G.Skill RipjawsV 4x16GB 3200Mhz CL16   Nvidia Quadro K600 1GB  Corsair RM 650W  Noctua NH-D15s Chormax ‖ 4x Corsair MP600 Force 1TB W/ Asus Hyper m.2 Gen4  Arctic P14 & P12 Fans  Silverstone FARA R1 ATX Mid Tower

J.A.R.V.I.S.  R9 3900XT  Asus B550-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16  EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX 8GB  Corsair SF 750W Platinum  Corsair H100i Pro AIO  Noctua NF-A12x15 Chromax Fans  FormD T1 SFF ITX Case  

LG 75UM8070PUA 4K UHD 120Hz IPS HDR TV  Corsair K63 Cherry MX Red Special Edition Wireless  Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless

Archive Server  R3 2200G  Asus B450-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 White  Vega Integrated Graphics  EVGA P2 750W  Prism Wraith Cooler  ITX Open Bench  2x HP SAS Expander  LSI-SAS9211  220TB of HDD Storage

SFF ITX Home PC  i5-7500  MSI B250I Gaming Pro Wi-Fi AC ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 2800MHz  Intel Integrated Graphics  Seasonic SSP Flex ATX 300W PSU  Cryorig C7  Velka 3 rev 1.2 SFF ITX Case (Grey)  

Laptop  Dell XPS13 2-in-1 7390 (2020)  i7-1065G7  32GB 3733MHz LPDDR4x  Intel Integrated Graphics  1TB NVME M.2  UHD+ (3840 x 2400) InfinityEdge Touch Display 

Keyboard Collection  GMMK Full Size  TOFU96 90%  ‖ KBD8x MKII TKL ‖ Drop CTRL High Profile TKL ‖ KBD Bella 75% ‖ GMMK Pro 75% ‖ XD84 Pro 75%  KBD67 V2 MKII 65%  KBD67Lite 65%  TOFU65 65%  KBD Blade 60%  Drop Carina 60%  Southpaw75 60% w/ Left Numpad  OLKB Preonic V3 Ortholinear ‖ CosPad XD24  ‖ KBDPad MKII

Key Cap Collection  GMK Boba Fett  GMK Red Samurai  GMK Laser CyberDeck +Novalties  GMK Arch  MaxKey B&W  Drop MT3 Camillo ‖ Matt3o MT3 /dev/tty  KBDfans Biip Torii Ext-2048  ePBT Less But Better +Novalties  EnjoyPBT Dolch  WinMix Mustard  Drop Skylight Horizon & Slate ‖ Glorious Black Aura   

Mechanical Key Switch Collection  Zealios V2 65g  Zealios V2 78g ‖ Zilents V2 67g  Tealios V2 67g  C³ Kiwi ‖ C³ Tangerine  Invyr Holy Panda  Durock T1 67g  Kailh Box Thick Jades ‖ Kailh Box Royal ‖ Kailh Box Heavy Dark Yellow ‖ Kailh Box Heavy Burnt Orange  Kailh Box White  Kailh Box Red  Kailh Pro Purple  Kailh Pro Burgandy  Gateron Ink Black V2  Gateron Black  Gateron Yellow  Gateron Brown  Gateron Green  Gateron Blue ‖ Cherry MX Black ‖ Cherry MX Brown ‖ Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, rip said:

1. Let's say gaming+music watching all the time

2. Forgot to ask, the back is metallic right? Cause mine is a fimsy plastic that can be broken quite easily, in fact some corners have been broken already and with my habit of constantly wanting to open things up for no reason 

3. 1hr-2hr seems much faster than I would expected

4. Yeah guess the $100 isn't worth it

5. S7 has a lot of custom ROM support so I guess won't be hard figuring on my own

1. Not sure, I don't game on my phone, and I don't listen to music terribly often with it either. I'd guess somewhere in the 6-12 hour range.
2. Glass, and the sides are metal.

9 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Get the Zenfone 3 Zoom instead. Full metal body, also an OLED 1080p screen, microSD slot, very power efficient chipset, and 5000mAh battery. A phone truly built to last. 

Only if it was available in Canada or doesn't cost a shit ton to buy... 

rip