IT DESTOYRED MY F ING FANS!!

Jeroen1322
Go to solution Solved by quan289,

There was a short that the SCP of the PSU didn't detect, and this cause the PSU to continued to supply power to it until it burned out.

To simulate this, PCGH had shorted a molex connector, and you would see it deliver a large amount of power through the cables and until it burns. It's in German, so you probably won't understand it (same with I) ; however, you could see what is happening (starts around 20 seconds in).

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Panorama-Thema-233992/News/PCGH-in-Gefahr-Video-Spektakulaere-Rauchexplosion-bei-Netzteilkurzschluss-819840/

This issue doesn't exactly happen often, but it is often associated with single rail vs multi-rail power supplies as shown here: http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3990

"Short circuit protection only works if there's minimal to no resistance in the short (like two wires touching or a hot lead touching a ground like the chassis wall, etc.) If the short occurs on a PCB, in a motor, etc. the resistance in this circuit will typically NOT trip short circuit protection. What does happen is the short essentially creates a load. Without an OCP the load just increases and increases until the wire heats up and the insulation melts off and there's a molten pile of flaming plastic at the bottom of the chassis. This is why rails are split up and "capped off" in most power supplies; there is a safety concern."

today my new fan controller arived installed it.. display didn't work change slot on PSU display workes fine but when i turned my PC off and hooked my fans up it and turned it on again IT EXPLODED! ALL MY FANS ARE MELTED AND I DON'T KNOW IF MY PC STILL WORK! 

I'm so Fing pissed of right now!!

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

You should have not run it at such a high RPMs. Also pics or it didn't happen.

Quote me to get a reply!

Did you plug them incorrectly?

Jup just with 3 pin connector there wasn't any other way to plug them in 

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

well, blame the fan controller manufacturer and get yourself some money to replace them.

Case: Corsair 460X RGB bby, CPU: I5 8600K, Motherboard: MSI B360M PRO-VDH, RAM: 8GB Hyper X 2400MHz , Graphics Card: GTX1060 6GB, PSU: Corsair RM750x,

Cooler: BEQuiet!  Pure Rock Slim SSD: Kingston 240GB, HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda

PICS!!!

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

ALL MY FANS ARE MELTED

wut? this is literately impossible stop trolling or post pics. 

PICS

Am i doing this right?

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

wut? this is literately impossible stop trolling or post pics. 

pics or it didn't happen

PICS!!!

It doesn't show on the outside and melted maybe a little to much but the thing that happend was: Turned it on fans didn't spin.. BOEM! *allot of smoke comming from the fans* 

Which fan controller is this? 

Also pics, defo want to see pics

It was the scythe kaze master pro 5.25

bother CS, Scythe is a fairly reputable company so they might be nice about it. 

Error: 410

It doesn't show on the outside

So open it up.....

So open it up.....

They will think i F'd with it and i loos my money.. 

It doesn't show on the outside and melted maybe a little to much but the thing that happend was: Turned it on fans didn't spin.. BOEM! *allot of smoke comming from the fans* 

This makes no sense at all! Every PC runs on like 3 different voltages +3.3 +5 -12v and +12 there is no way to over volt your fans. Which all fans run on 12V. The ONLY way this could even possible happen would be some how ground got swapped with -12V thus giving the fans a total of 24V but I really really really really doubt that happened. 

This makes no sense at all! Every PC runs on like 3 different voltages +3.3 +5 -12v and +12 there is no way to over volt your fans. The ONLY way this could even possible happen would be some how ground got swapped with -12V thus giving the fans a total of 24V but I really really really really doubt that happened. 

I don't know what happened... I plugged in everything correctly and it still blew up. i searched a bit and found out that other people have these problems to (on Amazon)

This makes no sense at all! Every PC runs on like 3 different voltages +3.3 +5 -12v and +12 there is no way to over volt your fans. Which all fans run on 12V. The ONLY way this could even possible happen would be some how ground got swapped with -12V thus giving the fans a total of 24V but I really really really really doubt that happened. 

ive seen a computer fan put on 18.9 volts and it was working perfectly fine.. granted it wasnt bolted in and was connected to a psu that they would have in science labs it was just floating around like a mini helicopter..

the fans still should have run for a little bit on 24v, but the bearings etc would get fucked and start heating up pretty quickly

The Beast [Case -  Corsair 750D CPU - I5 4670k @ 4.3ghz 1.2V CPU cooler - Hyper 212 evo Mobo - MSI g45 z87 RAM - G.Skill Z series 4*4@1866mhz GPU - Gigabyte windforce 3x r9 290 Storage - SSD, samsung 840 evo 120gb HDD, Western Digital Blue 1tb PSU - SilverStone Strider silver 80+ 750WPeripherals [Monitor - ASUS VS239 IPS 23" Keyboard - Corsair K95 Mouse - Mad Catz RAT 7]

Ive the Kaze Master 2, so far it has worked well, you sure you had plugged everything properly?

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

That explanation actually helps someone to understand what happened.  The fan controller probably burnt out the fan motors with voltage that was too high.  Most likely you just had a bad controler.  See if there is a warranty on the controller that might cover this sort of damage.  (I doubt a warranty would cover it, but maybe)

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

That explanation actually helps someone to understand what happened.  The fan controller probably burnt out the fan motors with voltage that was too high.  Most likely you just had a bad controler.  See if there is a warranty on the controller that might cover this sort of damage.  (I doubt a warranty would cover it, but maybe)

Well here in the Netherlands we have a law that demands that retailers sell good and reliable products.. so i think i will get my money back because this sure as hell wasn't good and reliable! 

Hi guys!

I've checked everything in my system apparently the power cable melted!  (If you don't know what i'm talking about, i'm talking about my earlier post i made where i raged that my fans have blown up).

Sorry i can't post pictures they are larger than 2 MB for some reason..

But the weird think is a have a really good PSU and i was just connected with same type of cable i connect everything with.. I don't know the name but is is from my PSU to Molex connector. 

What the hell happened? I'm not an expert but i know that cables are not supposed to melt within 2 seconds of usage! 

Well here in the Netherlands we have a law that demands that retailers sell good and reliable products.. so i think i will get my money back because this sure as hell wasn't good and reliable! 

Good luck with that.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

There was a short that the SCP of the PSU didn't detect, and this cause the PSU to continued to supply power to it until it burned out.

To simulate this, PCGH had shorted a molex connector, and you would see it deliver a large amount of power through the cables and until it burns. It's in German, so you probably won't understand it (same with I) ; however, you could see what is happening (starts around 20 seconds in).

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Panorama-Thema-233992/News/PCGH-in-Gefahr-Video-Spektakulaere-Rauchexplosion-bei-Netzteilkurzschluss-819840/

This issue doesn't exactly happen often, but it is often associated with single rail vs multi-rail power supplies as shown here: http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3990

"Short circuit protection only works if there's minimal to no resistance in the short (like two wires touching or a hot lead touching a ground like the chassis wall, etc.) If the short occurs on a PCB, in a motor, etc. the resistance in this circuit will typically NOT trip short circuit protection. What does happen is the short essentially creates a load. Without an OCP the load just increases and increases until the wire heats up and the insulation melts off and there's a molten pile of flaming plastic at the bottom of the chassis. This is why rails are split up and "capped off" in most power supplies; there is a safety concern."