Does a 1440p 144Hz IPS Gsync ultrawide monitor exist?

Fictionvl
Go to solution Solved by Karl Sven,

Then you have the answer you want :) 

Now there is good 144Hz monitors dedicated for Esports. Find a good 144Hz 2K 16:9 monitor and you'll be good to go ;) 

my question is in the title.

Early 2020 Build : Intel i7 8700k // MSI Krait Z370 // Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Aorus 5700 XT // NZXT H500 

Early 2019 Build : Ryzen 2600X // Asus Tuff X470 // G.Skill Trident Z RGB 8x2 16GB // MSI RTX 2070 // NZXT H500 

Late 2017 Build : Intel i7 8700k // Asus Prime Z370-A // G.Skill Trident Z 8x2 16GB // EVGA GTX 1080 Ti  // NZXT S320 Elite 

Late 2015 Build : Intel i7 6700k // Asus Maximus VI Gene Z170 //  Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Gigabyte GTX 970 // Corsair Air 240

8 minutes ago, Fictionvl said:

my question is in the title.

I only know of 100 hz ips monitors at that resolution.

No, it is currently impossible to make such a monitor; See here:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/850806-am-i-asking-for-the-impossible/

There are monitors such as the X34 and PG348Q which are everything you listed except 100 Hz instead of 144 Hz though.

You can get 1080p ultrawide as high as 165Hz with OC, but the current barrier for 1440p is 100Hz

I dislike simultaneous releases

Hi there! :) 

I think that the answer to your question is no. But if you're thinking on buying an Ultrawide I can share you my experience with the one I have.

I own an Asus PG348Q (34" 3440x1440) since February. And I might say that for the price (about 1.000 dollars) the monitor is NOT flawless.

The monitor does have scanlines (the mayor issue). The more the difference in Hz the more the scanlines are gonna be visible. So for example if you are in 60Hz mode and the game is capped to 30 fps you're gonna experience scanlines. Or when overclocked to 100Hz, if your'e displaying anything under 95fps your'e also gonna experience huge scanlines. Notice that these scanlines are ALWAYS present. Just more noticeable when the difference between the Hz and the FPS you're displaying separate from each other.

The only time when I cannot see any scanlines is when having the monitor at 60Hz playing at 60fps (which is crap cause I bought the monitor to play at 100... I also payed for it).

I'm not the only one having this issue. Check any forum. Everyone is having it. Unless you check a review in YouTube cause I assume they send cherry picked versions to main streamers. The monitor also comes with some panel bleeding... And when this is kinda meh... Well I remember again that I put 1.000$ on this, and then becomes a fking issue :) 

About the Ultra Wide experience.... For me? It's a total gimmick. There's nothing you cannot do/see with a 16:9 monitor that you can with a 21:9.

And you're gonna hear A LOT about the extra field of view. But you know what? When you're gaming your eyes actually focus on the center, not the corners.

So no, not real advantage either on performance or immersion.

To that you need to add the fact that... Yes, the mainstream still is 16:9. So when for triple A games maybe you won't have issues (not all, some still need workarounds to work properly in 21:9)... There's many titles that still don't support 21:9 and you're gonna see yourself having issues in many many occasions. Plus all the movies or media content. Yes, it's also comes in 16:9.

Think also that right now the wave is moving towards 4K, not 2K. And 3440x1440 is 2K with extra field of view (in essence).

So my advice? Search for a good big 16:9 4K monitor. Save some pounds, huge increase on resolution and you'll stay with the majority of the market that is 16:9 (save yourself some headaches).

But hey... the monitor looks badass AF. That I give it to you.

Though when gaming or consuming media.... Nah, stay with regular 4K 16:9.

30 minutes ago, Karl Sven said:

Hi there! :) 

I think that the answer to your question is no. But if you're thinking on buying an Ultrawide I can share you my experience with the one I have.

I own an Asus PG348Q (34" 3440x1440) since February. And I might say that for the price (about 1.000 dollars) the monitor is NOT flawless.

The monitor does have scanlines (the mayor issue). The more the difference in Hz the more the scanlines are gonna be visible. So for example if you are in 60Hz mode and the game is capped to 30 fps you're gonna experience scanlines. Or when overclocked to 100Hz, if your'e displaying anything under 95fps your'e also gonna experience huge scanlines. Notice that these scanlines are ALWAYS present. Just more noticeable when the difference between the Hz and the FPS you're displaying separate from each other.

The only time when I cannot see any scanlines is when having the monitor at 60Hz playing at 60fps (which is crap cause I bought the monitor to play at 100... I also payed for it).

I'm not the only one having this issue. Check any forum. Everyone is having it. Unless you check a review in YouTube cause I assume they send cherry picked versions to main streamers. The monitor also comes with some panel bleeding... And when this is kinda meh... Well I remember again that I put 1.000$ on this, and then becomes a fking issue :) 

About the Ultra Wide experience.... For me? It's a total gimmick. There's nothing you cannot do/see with a 16:9 monitor that you can with a 21:9.

And you're gonna hear A LOT about the extra field of view. But you know what? When you're gaming your eyes actually focus on the center, not the corners.

So no, not real advantage either on performance or immersion.

To that you need to add the fact that... Yes, the mainstream still is 16:9. So when for triple A games maybe you won't have issues (not all, some still need workarounds to work properly in 21:9)... There's many titles that still don't support 21:9 and you're gonna see yourself having issues in many many occasions. Plus all the movies or media content. Yes, it's also comes in 16:9.

Think also that right now the wave is moving towards 4K, not 2K. And 3440x1440 is 2K with extra field of view (in essence).

So my advice? Search for a good big 16:9 4K monitor. Save some pounds, huge increase on resolution and you'll stay with the majority of the market that is 16:9 (save yourself some headaches).

But hey... the monitor looks badass AF. That I give it to you.

Though when gaming or consuming media.... Nah, stay with regular 4K 16:9.

I really really do appreciate your answer, I was planning on getting either the Acer X34 or the Asus ROG PG348Q, and yes they look amazing, IPS panel. but the price is just a lot it costs more than the rig I'll be getting minus the GPU. so its crazy.

I'll be getting the GTX 1080 Ti, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to run 4K at 60Hz and if I was able to do that, i really want 144Hz. 

btw How good is the VA panel? I've tried TN and IPS only.

Early 2020 Build : Intel i7 8700k // MSI Krait Z370 // Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Aorus 5700 XT // NZXT H500 

Early 2019 Build : Ryzen 2600X // Asus Tuff X470 // G.Skill Trident Z RGB 8x2 16GB // MSI RTX 2070 // NZXT H500 

Late 2017 Build : Intel i7 8700k // Asus Prime Z370-A // G.Skill Trident Z 8x2 16GB // EVGA GTX 1080 Ti  // NZXT S320 Elite 

Late 2015 Build : Intel i7 6700k // Asus Maximus VI Gene Z170 //  Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Gigabyte GTX 970 // Corsair Air 240

17 minutes ago, Fictionvl said:

I really really do appreciate your answer, I was planning on getting either the Acer X34 or the Asus ROG PG348Q, and yes they look amazing, IPS panel. but the price is just a lot it costs more than the rig I'll be getting minus the GPU. so its crazy.

I'll be getting the GTX 1080 Ti, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to run 4K at 60Hz and if I was able to do that, i really want 144Hz. 

btw How good is the VA panel? I've tried TN and IPS only.

About running games at 4K/60fps.

Depends on many factors. From the game itself (not the same running League of legends that you can run at 4K/500fps with that card to The Witcher 3, wich you're gonna need to tweak the options), going through optimization of developers in the PC port (if it's a port), to all the options you might want to configure before start playing in an acceptable fps.

We're gonna assume you have everything running accordingly to your 1080Ti (that is a good CPU, etc).

The answer is yes, you're gonna be able to run most of games 4K at 60fps :) Maybe turning down some shadows and antialising (which you don't really need at 4K).

But also take in consideration this: Even if you wouldn't be able to set everything on "ultra" at 4K and retrieve those 60fps. Think that a monitor is something your'e gonna update less than a graphic card. So the monitor your'e gonna buy now is gonna go through the next two generations of graphic cards. And then I guess you have the answer, 4K will be more than possible. And also applying this same theory to a 2K monitor... well... is gonna get outdated faster, even with the Ultra Wide stuff.

About the panel.

VA is an overall inferior technology than IPS. But if the VA panel still offers good refresh rate, good resolution etc and make you save some bucks , go for it.

In the end those differences you only can see in comparison head to head. In a daily basis use you won't notice a major difference.

That said, I ofc still recommend IPS. Richer colors, darker blacks etc.

1 minute ago, Karl Sven said:

About running games at 4K/60fps.

Depends on many factors. From the game itself (not the same running League of legends that you can run at 4K/500fps with that card to The Witcher 3, wich you're gonna need to tweak the options), going through optimization of developers in the PC port (if it's a port), to all the options you might want to configure before start playing in an acceptable fps.

We're gonna assume you have everything running accordingly to your 1080Ti (that is a good CPU, etc).

The answer is yes, you're gonna be able to run most of games 4K at 60fps :) Maybe turning down some shadows and antialising (which you don't really need at 4K).

But also take in consideration this: Even if you wouldn't be able to set everything on "ultra" at 4K and retrieve those 60fps. Think that a monitor is something your'e gonna update less than a graphic card. So the monitor your'e gonna buy now is gonna be experiencing maybe one or two more generations of graphic card. And then I guess you have the answer, 4K will be more than possible. And also applying this same theory to a 2K monitor... well... is gonna get outdated faster, even with the Ultra Wide stuff.

I see where you're coming from, but the thing is, I want to have 144Hz, I know my self as I wont really be conusming 4K media or when I game I want the best performance mostly rather than the pixels, so 1440p is more than enough for me. and also 144Hz is my main thing that i want.

Then you have the answer you want :) 

Now there is good 144Hz monitors dedicated for Esports. Find a good 144Hz 2K 16:9 monitor and you'll be good to go ;)