need help Getting wifi throught my whole house

mrmods

I just extended my house and my virgin media super hub 2.0 router nethe the 2g or 5g signal gets a strong connection throughout the entire house other than the close rooms.

I was thinking about buying more routers and spreading them around the house to get signal from all the room but i dont want to be switching connections as i go through the house, is there anyway to make them all into a mesh network like network or such thing?

Thanks

5 minutes ago, Alexsolo said:

Ubiquiti Unifi Access points can do just that! Keep away from closed rooms or spaces, try to place them on a ceiling where it's the most open.

Not that easy, the house is lots of walls and doors hence the crap signal from the router

We got given a Virgin Media Super Hub 2 when we upgraded our internet plan, I personally hate the router, it's terrible. It just isn't very flexible when it comes to basic tasks that a cheap router could do, I personally would recommend putting the router in modem mode and hooking up a new router to it. Then use any other options for extending WIFI, please note: You can't use wireless repeater modes on the Virgin Media super hub, the options don't exist. I would definitely recommend the Hub to be in modem mode and for you to buy a new router with any other WIFI extensions you want.    -The hub is known to have bad signal strength, especially when it comes to 5GHz connections!

I had a similar problem and solved it cheaply. What i did was i called Virgin and after a bit of talking they offered to send the Super hub 3 free of charge to replace the Super hub 2. I then bought a power-line and connected the super hub 2 as an access point to the hub 3 (via the powerline) , in the area of the house where the WIFI signal was poor. 

The superhub 2 does not have an easy setting to turn it into an access point , but following the tutorial below solves that and its not too hard:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Super-Hub-used-as-an-access-point/td-p/3074315

This however has nothing to do with the switching connections issue , it is just something i did personally that worked well. 

To answer your actual question , if you bought a new router and spread them around the house all you would have to do is set the SSID (name of network) and the network password the same as the other router in the settings and you're devices should connect automatically to the router with the strongest signal automatically. :)

49 minutes ago, mrmods said:

I just extended my house and my virgin media super hub 2.0 router nethe the 2g or 5g signal gets a strong connection throughout the entire house other than the close rooms.

I was thinking about buying more routers and spreading them around the house to get signal from all the room but i dont want to be switching connections as i go through the house, is there anyway to make them all into a mesh network like network or such thing?

Thanks

It's possible, but it does mean that you would have to be willing to tear your house apart to run cables for access points if you want the best experience.

If you ONLY want network access for things like phone/tablet and such, then it can be done much cheaper and cleaner by using powerline adaptors. You can link up many of them if you want, and then they are wired into access points of your choice. Then you just set the access points to have the same SSID and password, and make sure they aren't on conflicting channels.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

1 minute ago, Rishum said:

I had a similar problem and solved it cheaply. What i did was i called Virgin and after a bit of talking they offered to send the Super hub 3 free of charge to replace the Super hub 2. I then bought a power-line and connected the super hub 2 as an access point to the hub 3 (via the powerline) , in the area of the house where the WIFI signal was poor. 

The superhub 2 does not have an easy setting to turn it into an access point , but following the tutorial below solves that and its not too hard:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Super-Hub-used-as-an-access-point/td-p/3074315

This however has nothing to do with the switching connections issue , it is just something i did personally that worked well. 

To answer your question , if you bought a new router and spread them around the house all you would have to do is set the SSID (name of network) and the network password the same as the other router in the settings and you're devices should connect automatically to the router with the strongest signal automatically. :)

Jinx :D

Spoiler
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

11 hours ago, Rishum said:

To answer your actual question , if you bought a new router and spread them around the house all you would have to do is set the SSID (name of network) and the network password the same as the other router in the settings and you're devices should connect automatically to the router with the strongest signal automatically. :)

Thanks for that that was really helpful, i think that is what im going to do. i was gonna take their hub 3 but didnt have time when they offered and i said id call back to accept the offer, i think buying more routers would be the best option. thanks a :)

I wouldn't advice using hubs in your network. A hub send out the signal in all ports it has. this can cause network collisions and congestion. Using a switch is way better!

2 hours ago, Levisallanon said:

I wouldn't advice using hubs in your network. A hub send out the signal in all ports it has. this can cause network collisions and congestion. Using a switch is way better!

When he mentions super-hub he does not mean a hub. The superhub is just a brand name for the cable modem-routers given to Virgin media customers in the UK.

6 hours ago, mrmods said:

Thanks for that that was really helpful, i think that is what im going to do. i was gonna take their hub 3 but didnt have time when they offered and i said id call back to accept the offer, i think buying more routers would be the best option. thanks a :)

You don't want more routers, you want access points.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

14 hours ago, mrmods said:

If you want to do this as a one router solution your only chance is to get your current box in the centralized location and as high as you can get it. Generally the signal will spread out. Im from the US so I dont know how shitty your ISP's boxes are, as in the US they are pretty shitty. You can try upgrading like they have suggested. Maybe the new box is using a newer wireless standard which would have more range than a previous wireless standard. 

As @paddy-stone said, you want AP's not routers. An AP is just the wireless radio. These have to be wired directly to the main router however. Here in the 21st century, we have 3 good options to get this done. Ethernet, Power Line adapters, and Moca adapters. Or a comb of them. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.