Integrated Graphics in Dual Monitor Setups

I'm planning on getting a 1440p ultrawide 100hz monitor to add to my setup but I would like to use my 16:9 1080p monitor for Discord or system monitoring while I game. I think that by connecting my 1080p monitor to on board graphics I'll be able to run both without sacrificing performance on the main monitor. Aside from causing the CPU to run hotter, is this logic incorrect for any reason? 

In reality, just running Discord/desktop/anything basic on a second monitor won't hinder performance. So you could still run the second monitor off the iGPU, but there really isnt any advantage to doing that. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

You won't sacrifice performance running the other monitor in the first place unless your GPU is extremely weak (but you're getting a 100Hz 1440p monitor, so I doubt it is)

I've done a load of testing with running additional monitors (all available configurations using 3x 1080p monitors and a 4K monitor) running on a single card, in SLI and on seperate cards. Running the monitors doesn't impact performance, but what you run on them can, mostly due to CPU usage. Things like running HD videos can affect performance a little, but it's down to the CPU load in that case, not the GPU. Running a browser, system monitoring or discord type application makes no difference. Running HD videos, even if you only had a single monitor would have the same impact on performance, ultimately, running the other monitors doesn't affect anything. 

You can run the other monitor off the iGPU, but there's no reason to do so. 

Forgive my ignorance, but can you even run one screen from the GPU and another from the iGPU? I've tried to do this when we were assembling my friend's PC and only got dual screen when we hooked up both to the GPU.

2 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Forgive my ignorance, but can you even run one screen from the GPU and another from the iGPU? I've tried to do this when we were assembling my friend's PC and only got dual screen when we hooked up both to the GPU.

Yes. You just have to make sure integrated graphics is enabled in the bios. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Did not know that, thank you.

38 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Does having integrated graphics enabled affect performance in anyway

1 hour ago, Jregz said:

Does having integrated graphics enabled affect performance in anyway

Technically putting a heavy load on the iGPU could lead to higher temps and a higher power consumption, which could potentially lead to a lower overclock if cooling or motherboard power delivery are limiting factors. But both of those are fairly extreme cases.....so realistically, no. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

I run a second monitor off the display as my DVI to VGA adaptor that came with the card never worked, and I never bothered to buy another adaptor.

From what I understand, all the heavy lifting is still handled by the dGPU, but the image are passed through the iGPU to the display. The igpu never goes above idle speed anyway, unless Quicksync is being used.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

3 hours ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

By default your bios disable the igpu when dedicated graphics are installed but you can enable it in the bios if you still want to use it. 

3 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

You won't sacrifice performance running the other monitor in the first place unless your GPU is extremely weak (but you're getting a 100Hz 1440p monitor, so I doubt it is)

I've done a load of testing with running additional monitors (all available configurations using 3x 1080p monitors and a 4K monitor) running on a single card, in SLI and on seperate cards. Running the monitors doesn't impact performance, but what you run on them can, mostly due to CPU usage. Things like running HD videos can affect performance a little, but it's down to the CPU load in that case, not the GPU. Running a browser, system monitoring or discord type application makes no difference. Running HD videos, even if you only had a single monitor would have the same impact on performance, ultimately, running the other monitors doesn't affect anything. 

You can run the other monitor off the iGPU, but there's no reason to do so. 

That's a great answer. Thanks and I'll definitely have to verify what you've found when I get my monitor.