Where to buy an Antminer?

So after trying to buy an Antminer from Bitmain's store I got a really suspicious feeling.  I started reading the reviews and it seems this company has very bad customer service issues.  Not to mention the fact that they wanted me to give them my SSN to complete the purchase.  This doesn't seem like a very good idea to me.

However I would still like to purchase an Antminer from a more reliable source.  I notice that there are several sellers on Amazon that will sell Antminers at a significant mark up.  This doesn't seem like a very good idea either as the whole point of buying an Antminer is for the extra ROI that it offers over a conventional GPU based set up.  When your laying out 2-3 times the price per unit it pushes the Payback period into the same range as a GPU based rig.  Which kind of defeats the whole purpose of buying an ASIC rig in the first place.

Anyone got any advice on how or where to purchase Antminer products that is safe and closer to list prices?

Why do you want to waste money like that?

You can just toss a bunch of $20 bills in a trash can and get rid of your money just as fast.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 hours ago, rakshasa72 said:

So after trying to buy an Antminer from Bitmain's store I got a really suspicious feeling.  I started reading the reviews and it seems this company has very bad customer service issues.  Not to mention the fact that they wanted me to give them my SSN to complete the purchase.  This doesn't seem like a very good idea to me.

However I would still like to purchase an Antminer from a more reliable source.  I notice that there are several sellers on Amazon that will sell Antminers at a significant mark up.  This doesn't seem like a very good idea either as the whole point of buying an Antminer is for the extra ROI that it offers over a conventional GPU based set up.  When your laying out 2-3 times the price per unit it pushes the Payback period into the same range as a GPU based rig.  Which kind of defeats the whole purpose of buying an ASIC rig in the first place.

Anyone got any advice on how or where to purchase Antminer products that is safe and closer to list prices?

why buy the hardware? Might as well spend that cash and just buy the coin. If you want to make a profit wait for it increase in value. 

Edit: to answer your question, they are the only ones that make antminers. Some more info available here https://www.bitcoinmining.com/bitcoin-mining-hardware/ You can try ebay and the like, but they will probably be a lot more expensive on there. 

I rather like the idea of being able to mine it myself.  I'm not looking to get super rich off it.  It's just fun to come home and see the cash accumulating.  I live in an area where power is super cheap so that isn't really an issue.  Also since I'm an Electrician I know some tricks to get the most power efficiency out of a machine.  So that could be helpful if I want to scale up in the future.  Otherwise it just seems to be a not totally useless thing to do as a hobby.

15 hours ago, rakshasa72 said:

I rather like the idea of being able to mine it myself.  I'm not looking to get super rich off it.  It's just fun to come home and see the cash accumulating.  I live in an area where power is super cheap so that isn't really an issue.  Also since I'm an Electrician I know some tricks to get the most power efficiency out of a machine.  So that could be helpful if I want to scale up in the future.  Otherwise it just seems to be a not totally useless thing to do as a hobby.

But are you ready for hundreds of dollars more in electricity, heat and noise? Or just the NOISE? One miner is probably 8 times louder than you think it'll be. There's nothing you can do to make them more efficient other than underclocking or installing a 220v circuit [save about 50 watts under normal operations, ~5-7%]

Other than that, knock yourself out and order one here: https://bitshopusa.com/collections/frontpage 

The later the batch you buy the cheaper it will be, but the older it is the closer it'll be to being obsolete. I recommend waiting for a brand new miner to come out, or purchase an l3+ just because of long term efficiency. No matter what you buy, there are already thousands and thousands out there mining a month ago. No matter how good an ASIC miner is, efficiency is what will put it out of operation, eventually. Oh, and the noise is the absolute worst thing if you're anywhere near it. 

The noise will ruin your home or apartment.

There was a time a new several thousand dollar miner would pay for itself in a few weeks. Now, it takes well over 4 months.. assuming you purchased it + a good PSU for half of what they are selling for now.. and the yield doesn't drop the minimum 32% every 90 days..

They're fucking loud, by the way. Have I mentioned that? 

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

GPU — AMD RX 7900 XTX - XFX Speedster Merc 310 Black Edition - 24GB GDDR6

Monitor — Acer Predator XB271HU - 2560x1440 165Hz IPS 4ms

CPU Cooler — Noctua NH-D15

Motherboard — Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2

Memory — 32GB G.Skill Flare X5 - 6000mHz CL32

Storage — WD Black - 2TB HDD

— Seagate SkyHawk - 2TB HDD

— Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB SSD

— WD Blue - 500GB M.2 SSD

— Samsung 990 PRO w/HS - 4TB M.2 SSD

Case — Fractal Design Define R6 TG

PSU — EVGA SuperNOVA G3 - 850W 80+ Gold 

Case Fans — 2(120mm) Noctua NF-F12 PWM - exhaust

— 3(140mm) Noctua NF-A14 PWM - intake

Keyboard — Max Keyboard TKL Blackbird - Cherry MX blue switches - Red Backlighting 

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Headphones — Sennheiser HD600

Extras — Glorious PC Gaming Race - Mouse Wrist Rest  

— Glorious PC Gaming Race - XXL Extended Mouse Pad - 36" x 18"

— Max Keyboard Flacon-20 keypad - Cherry MX blue switches