how friendly is doubblesided foam tape to motherboards and electronics?

Go to solution Solved by Bananasplit_00,

ok well thanks for all the info, good to know and feel free to note more things but looking through my pile of cases i have found another one id like to use for something and this is actiually pretty much perfect :D 

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

Go for it. As long as you're not working on a 9590, you should be good with that heatgun!xD

its an FX chip but not that monster, anyway i found another fun case to use for it among my storage under my desk, but all this wasent in vain because i will probably have quite a bit of use of it in the future :D 

sooooooooooooo yah. will mounting my motherboard with this stuff:

Bildresultat för 3m double side tape

break my motherboard as soon as it gets power? like its not like i have another array of options, its kind of that or nothing, but id like to have some amount of idea before i do it lol.

thanks for any help and any replies :D 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

It will likely be okay, but a bitch to remove. Maybe mounting down standoffs would be easier.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, Minibois said:

It will likely be okay, but a bitch to remove. Maybe mounting down standoffs would be easier.

standofs arent even remotely an option here, trust me i would have made my own if i had the chance. the best other option i have thought of is some paper/cardboard and that stuff. what i got on hand isnt super limited but there are no mounting holes i could use and drilling holes for standofs isnt an option sadly

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Double sided tape is not friendly on any thing, it will always leave residue but will hold whatever in place.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

As long as you're careful with the placement and load-bearing. Otherwise, try anchors or nails. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

It should work fine but you wont get it off again without damaging the the board

Just now, Leonard said:

Double sided tape is not friendly on any thing, it will always leave residue but will hold whatever in place.

now THAT isnt a problem as long as my motherboard dosent fry xD 

Builds:

Spoiler

Just now, ARikozuM said:

As long as you're careful with the placement and load-bearing. Otherwise, try anchors or nails. 

its mounted laying down instead of standing up like normal, forgot to mention that. the tape just needs to hold it in place

Just now, r4tch3t said:

It should work fine but you wont get it off again without damaging the the board

aaaa thats not really good :/ id like it if i could sell this motherboard off after im done with it

Builds:

Spoiler

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

You think so now, just wait until you come up with a bright idea and need to remove the tape and peel the PCB or rip something off the PCB.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

its mounted laying down instead of standing up like normal, forgot to mention that. the tape just needs to hold it in place

Laying down or upside down? If it's just laying horizontally, go for it. Upside-down, don't even try. 

aaaa thats not really good :/ id like it if i could sell this motherboard off after im done with it

You just need a blow dryer to soften the adhesive. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

You could always get a motherboard tray or sheet of metal, stick that to ehere you need it, then screw the standoffs in

Good idea or not for motherboard, I've found out that even good mounting tape looses its strength with heat. I had really good mounting tape (same stuff took a chunk out of my wall when I ripped it off) fall off from LED strips I mounted with it. 

Cut down a motherboard tray to the same size as the board and mount that. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Just now, Leonard said:

You think so now, just wait until you come up with a bright idea and need to remove the tape and peel the PCB or rip something off the PCB.

this stuff would be on the rear so as long as it dosent rip off the top layer im good, got no components i can think off back there that i cant avoid placeing it on

Laying down or upside down? If it's just laying horizontally, go for it. Upside-down, don't even try. 

laying down :D 

You just need a blow dryer to soften the adhesive. 

how about a 1.6KW heatgun? :P 

1 minute ago, r4tch3t said:

You could always get a motherboard tray or sheet of metal, stick that to ehere you need it, then screw the standoffs in

nope not an option here, thats another thing i thought i might be able to but i havent got the resources to buy anything in for this and i dont feel much like cutting up some case i have around.

1 minute ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Good idea or not for motherboard, I've found out that even good mounting tape looses its strength with heat. I had really good mounting tape (same stuff took a chunk out of my wall when I ripped it off) fall off from LED strips I mounted with it. 

Cut down a motherboard tray to the same size as the board and mount that. 

that option isnt there for me because of metioned above. but good to know

Builds:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

laying down :D 

how about a 1.6KW heatgun? :P 

Go for it. As long as you're not working on a 9590, you should be good with that heatgun!xD

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

ok well thanks for all the info, good to know and feel free to note more things but looking through my pile of cases i have found another one id like to use for something and this is actiually pretty much perfect :D 

its an FX chip but not that monster, anyway i found another fun case to use for it among my storage under my desk, but all this wasent in vain because i will probably have quite a bit of use of it in the future :D 

Builds:

Spoiler

19 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

if u have wet adhesive connecting 2 little pins close together it can fry  / short

if its not wet adhesive it should be fine :P

(◑‿◐)

Just now, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

if u have wet adhesive connecting 2 little pins close together it can fry  / short

if its not wet adhesive it should be fine :P

its sticky and tacky, neither really wet or dry

Builds:

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

its sticky and tacky, neither really wet or dry

wht do u need to do with it on ur mobo anyway?

aslong it isnt conductive ur fine tbh ( hence why mentioned wet, some adhesive is a lil wet and those r conductive xD )

(◑‿◐)

34 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

sooooooooooooo yah. will mounting my motherboard with this stuff:

break my motherboard as soon as it gets power? like its not like i have another array of options, its kind of that or nothing, but id like to have some amount of idea before i do it lol.

thanks for any help and any replies :D 

You can I would recommend to mount the board onto a plate just for some extra airflow behind it. 

-Moved to Modding Section- 

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

You can I would recommend to mount the board onto a plate just for some extra airflow behind it. 

-Moved to Modding Section- 

its like i said, that stuff or nothing if it was to be the way i intended but i have since found myself a better solution thats still almost as fun without haveint to risk this :) thanks for the move

8 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

wht do u need to do with it on ur mobo anyway?

aslong it isnt conductive ur fine tbh ( hence why mentioned wet, some adhesive is a lil wet and those r conductive xD )

i need it to work for a 36h LAN party next weekend, more or less continiously playing games

Builds:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

its like i said, that stuff or nothing if it was to be the way i intended but i have since found myself a better solution thats still almost as fun without haveint to risk this :) thanks for the move

i need it to work for a 36h LAN party next weekend, more or less continiously playing games

honestly for that i would just take the mobo on the table and play with the mobo loose on the table lol xD

motherboard box best case imo gg

(◑‿◐)

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

You could always double side tape mount it onto some stiff foam blocks that would have the same effect to get it off the surface, but it should be perfectly safe even if you just tape it directly to a backer board like plexi or something non-conductive. 

u like my custom lan case?

10517611_344375995745830_6290441677973989079_o.thumb.jpg.2b9c9a97753e9858071269351111c2d7.jpg

10710246_344052122444884_1500454608343594676_o.thumb.jpg.e9fe554465dd2a0a3004d127a5c8d35b.jpg

pst i am lan master

for gpu just take off the io plate and stick it in the slot xD lol

(◑‿◐)

Just now, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

u like my custom lan case?

10517611_344375995745830_6290441677973989079_o.thumb.jpg.2b9c9a97753e9858071269351111c2d7.jpg

bruh check out the Toaster Project and the LAN PC :D thats pretty nice use of a motherboard box though! il be sure to mention you when i post the build of what i ended up doing instead of the tape tho

Builds:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

bruh check out the Toaster Project and the LAN PC :D thats pretty nice use of a motherboard box though! il be sure to mention you when i post the build of what i ended up doing instead of the tape tho

thats what i do with my motherboard boxes man, temporary lan case xD its like a mini itx ROFL

(◑‿◐)