EK or Thermaltake for custom loop?

Hello guys! 

I am looking forward to start a new custom-loop build. Since I have never done this before, I wonder what brand has the most reliable liquid cooling parts.

My personal choices lie between EK and Thermaltake after doing some research.

TK has good integration with their own products. If I go with TK, I will probably use their new RGB fans and strip.

But EK has such a good reputation... And the NZXT Aer fans look just as great. 

Regardless of the loops, the case choice is either TK the tower 900 or core p7 for me. 

Cheers!xD

@Lurick

I checked their products and I am impressed as always. 

The clean plexi/nickel blocks certainly implements my plan of "blue and white aesthetics" well.

Gonna try double loop with blue and white coolant. 

5 minutes ago, Lurick said:

EK, all day every day :)

Thermaltake has some really nice parts

You do realize you can buy like your fittings from Thermaltake and the Res from Ek right

My life

1 minute ago, WaterlooDude said:

@Lurick

I checked their products and I am impressed as always. 

The clean plexi/nickel blocks certainly implements my plan of "blue and white aesthetics" well.

Gonna try double loop with blue and white coolant. 

I assume you're doing soft tubing, right?

Forgot to ask :) 

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Thermaltake and liquid cooling? NOPE

EKWB

Watercool

Primochill

XSPC

Bitspower / Barrow depending on how much money you have xD 

Alphacool if you can deal with them being a bit of an ashole with some things

Mayhems

those are the ones that come to my mind in no perticular order of quality. id trust all of them. Watercool and Alphacool make the best blocks, EK havent launched anything remotely close to inovative when it comes to blocks in years while everyone else has moved on and inovated lol. Byski could be added if you feel like trusting a chinese brand.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

Agree. The only thing I've touched that hasn't gone to hell from Thermaltake is the Pacific line of fittings from them.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Agree. The only thing I've touched that hasn't gone to hell from Thermaltake is the Pacific line of fittings from them.

i wouldent trust them with fittings tbh. im using EKs AFC fittings personaly because they just look great and also i kinda found 12 for $12 LOL. they are pretty nice unless you decide that tightening them empty is a good idea and you need to get the pliers out to fix them... Bitspower / Barrow make the best fittings for sure, Barrow are just chinese ones without the logo basically, same quality but much cheaper. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

8 minutes ago, Himommies said:

You do realize you can buy like your fittings from Thermaltake and the Res from Ek right

That sounds like an excellent suggestion to me! Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i wouldent trust them with fittings tbh. im using EKs AFC fittings personaly because they just look great and also i kinda found 12 for $12 LOL. they are pretty nice unless you decide that tightening them empty is a good idea and you need to get the pliers out to fix them... Bitspower / Barrow make the best fittings for sure, Barrow are just chinese ones without the logo basically, same quality but much cheaper. 

Upon review of my Amazon history, I stand corrected and remember it now, I was looking at the Pacific line but ended up with some Swiftech fittings/extensions for my EK fittings :D 

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

6 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

EKWB

Watercool

Primochill

XSPC

Bitspower / Barrow depending on how much money you have xD 

Alphacool if you can deal with them being a bit of an ashole with some things

Mayhems

those are the ones that come to my mind in no perticular order of quality. id trust all of them. Watercool and Alphacool make the best blocks, EK havent launched anything remotely close to inovative when it comes to blocks in years while everyone else has moved on and inovated lol. Byski could be added if you feel like trusting a chinese brand.

Definitely will not go for cheaper Chinese products on liquid cooling. I heard their brands like deepcool had a lot of leaks. 

My budget sits around 1500 for the loops. 

10 minutes ago, Lurick said:

I assume you're doing soft tubing, right?

Forgot to ask :) 

Probably hard tubing, really want to give myself a challenge. :P:D

2 minutes ago, WaterlooDude said:

Then I can say this, do NOT buy fittings and tubing from two different places if at all possible. If you get your fittings from one place, buy the tubing and bending kit from them as well.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Then I can say this, do NOT buy fittings and tubing from two different places if at all possible. If you get your fittings from one place, buy the tubing and bending kit from them as well.

You are right, best not to risk it. 

Just now, WaterlooDude said:

You are right, best not to risk it. 

Yah, that's one mistake I made when I started :)

The tolerances between manufacturers can be different and cause lots of issues.

You can definitely buy rads from elsewhere though, just make sure to not buy any aluminum parts.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

6 minutes ago, WaterlooDude said:

Definitely will not go for cheaper Chinese products on liquid cooling. I heard their brands like deepcool had a lot of leaks. 

1500 US dollars? Wow, that's plenty. I have been using EK products since I started with water cooling. It's pretty good stuff.

CPU: i7-12700KF Grill Plate Edition // MOBO: Asus Z690-PLUS WIFI D4 // RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz CL14 

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 FE // PSU: Corsair RM750i // CASE: Thermaltake Core X71 // BOOT: Samsung Evo 960 500GB

STORAGE: WD PC SN530 512GB + Samsung Evo 860 500GB // COOLING: Full custom loop // DISPLAY: LG 34UC89G-B

Just now, Lurick said:

Yah, that's one mistake I made when I started :)

The tolerances between manufacturers can be different and cause lots of issues.

You can definitely buy rads from elsewhere though, just make sure to not buy any aluminum parts.

Thanks a lot for reminding me not to mix the fittings and tubings!

Aluminum is like a big no for me in any liquid loops. 

1 minute ago, Limecat86 said:

1500 US dollars? Wow, that's plenty. I have been using EK products since I started with water cooling. It's pretty good stuf.

1500 Canadian lol... 1500 USD is way toooo much of an overkill

Do not get thermalfake crap, it's bad quality and increases the chance of leaks.

You should also not be buying everything from the same manufacturer, there is no watercooling parts manufacturer which is perfect at everything.

You should also be ready to spend $600+ for quality components.

Bitspower fittings and tubing, EK waterblocks, mayhems fluid, D5 pump, etc.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, WaterlooDude said:

Barrow are literally just bitspower but dont have the name just so you know. the only downside of going with them is the shipping time and loosing the bragging rights of haveing bitspower :P 

anyway i cooked up the loop in Northern Bee for under 1/6th of that budget lol. what are you cooling? i might suggest you some parts :) im not especially amazing on all this, but i know some of my stuff at least so id be glad to help out :D 

13 minutes ago, Himommies said:

no. just no. they are all super shit. everything with that brand you should just turn away and run from. Cases might be an exeption because i havent seen those crumble yet but they just do not make quality things at all.

5 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Upon review of my Amazon history, I stand corrected and remember it now, I was looking at the Pacific line but ended up with some Swiftech fittings/extensions for my EK fittings :D 

seems more likely, those fittings would probably have leeked as well lol

3 minutes ago, WaterlooDude said:

sure, its going to be hard to get right id guess but the results are really nice. part of me wishes i had gone with it but in the end im really happy with my soft tubeing loop, the fact that i can swap out parts without draining everything is actiually pretty nice.

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Then I can say this, do NOT buy fittings and tubing from two different places. If you get your fittings from one place, buy the tubing and bending kit from them as well.

bendig kit isnt as neccesairy to be from the same place, but yah you should probably buy it all from one brand so you know its compatible to 100% and wont be a fire sprinker once you fill it :P 

2 minutes ago, Limecat86 said:

1500 US dollars? Wow, that's plenty. I have been using EK products since I started with water cooling. It's pretty good stuff.

literally the only thing i regret in my loop is the EK Supremacy CPU block. its just straight up not as good as what i could have gotten in any way. it dosent look especially great, it dosent perform especially great, the build is mediocer at best, it arrived with oxidisation already on the bottom and the mount is just not nice in any way. I so SOOOO wish i would have waited to get myself a Heatkiller IV Ultimate instead because its just so much nicer of a block.

Builds:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Barrow are literally just bitspower but dont have the name just so you know. the only downside of going with them is the shipping time and loosing the bragging rights of haveing bitspower :P 

anyway i cooked up the loop in Northern Bee for under 1/6th of that budget lol. what are you cooling? i might suggest you some parts :) im not especially amazing on all this, but i know some of my stuff at least so id be glad to help out :D 

no. just no. they are all super shit. everything with that brand you should just turn away and run from. Cases might be an exeption because i havent seen those crumble yet but they just do not make quality things at all.

seems more likely, those fittings would probably have leeked as well lol

sure, its going to be hard to get right id guess but the results are really nice. part of me wishes i had gone with it but in the end im really happy with my soft tubeing loop, the fact that i can swap out parts without draining everything is actiually pretty nice.

bendig kit isnt as neccesairy to be from the same place, but yah you should probably buy it all from one brand so you know its compatible to 100% and wont be a fire sprinker once you fill it :P 

literally the only thing i regret in my loop is the EK Supremacy CPU block. its just straight up not as good as what i could have gotten in any way. it dosent look especially great, it dosent perform especially great, the build is mediocer at best, it arrived with oxidisation already on the bottom and the mount is just not nice in any way. I so SOOOO wish i would have waited to get myself a Heatkiller IV Ultimate instead because its just so much nicer of a block.

Sounds interesting. I am cooling my CPU and 1080 ti SLI. Any suggestions?

8 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

They are actually not, they have different manufacturers. They just look identical.

The down side of going with them is that they have no been used by tens of thousands of people like bitspower has, so the sample size to know how reliable they are is a lot smaller.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Did you contact EK about the oxidisation? Was it a bare copper block or did had a plating? I had a bare copper supremacy MX first and later upgraded to a nickel plated Supremacy EVO due to the MX block gotten tiny cracks on one of the G1/4 threaded ports and started to leak.

CPU: i7-12700KF Grill Plate Edition // MOBO: Asus Z690-PLUS WIFI D4 // RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz CL14 

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 FE // PSU: Corsair RM750i // CASE: Thermaltake Core X71 // BOOT: Samsung Evo 960 500GB

STORAGE: WD PC SN530 512GB + Samsung Evo 860 500GB // COOLING: Full custom loop // DISPLAY: LG 34UC89G-B

5 minutes ago, WaterlooDude said:

Sounds interesting. I am cooling my CPU and 1080 ti SLI. Any suggestions?

id go for as mentioned, Heatkiller IV blocks from Watercool for both, possiably Alphacools top of the line stuff for the 1080TIs if you can, as i mentioned, deal with them being pricks about some things. reservoid is entirely up to you, EK make nice ones from what i know. rads im not any good at, i just picked up the first ones i saw off the used market but the XSCP rad i have is from what i have been told really nice. depends on what look you will go for too with a lot of this, but id say you probably want about as much radiator as i have which is a front 360mm and a top 240mm. if you can fit it, id go for a 280mm over the 360 though

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

They are actually not, they have different manufacturers. They just look identical.

The down side of going with them is that they have no been used by tens of thousands of people like bitspower has, so the sample size to know how reliable they are is a lot smaller.

true, its not like they are made by the same factory, but from what i have seen and heard they are basically just as good. you have a good point about the sample size though

27 minutes ago, Limecat86 said:

Did you contact EK about the oxidisation? Was it a bare copper block or did had a plating? I had a bare copper supremacy MX first and later upgraded to a nickel plated Supremacy EVO due to the MX block gotten tiny cracks on one of the G1/4 threaded ports and started to leak.

Bare copper, they said seeing as it didnt impact performance they would do nothing.

Builds:

Spoiler

14 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

You're experience seems somewhat different, but all the barrow stuff I have had is no-where near as nice as EK stuff. I bought most of my stuff from EK. However switched from a EK D5 res combo to a Barrow obsidian res and standard EK D5 pump top. The res is no-where near as nicely made, less material was used to make the parts, the parts had not been machined as nicely and it did not fit together quite as easily. Not to mention the mounting hardware being appalling. The screws were too long for any conceivable use I struggled to get them through the holes in the plastic clips due to them being so long, one even had metal filling in the screw head, and the holes in the brackets were slightly to small to accept the screws.

Not to mention that it LEAKED!!!! I drained it, and left it upside down on tissue paper overnight, but couldn't spot any leak in the morning, so I guess I hadn't tightened the top down hard enough, but it was still on pretty tight, and about the same if not tighter than what I tightened the EK res to and it never leaked.

The barrow rotary fitting I have does not rotate as nicely as the EK one I have. Although the barrow 3-way splitter is ok.

I got a bitspower plug earlier today, and that seems ok quality, and the threads seem a bit nicer than those on my barrow rotary fitting

I personally will not be buying anything more from barrow in the future, whether its cheaper or not. Whether bitspower is any good remains to be seen, I have little experience of them, and have not done any research into them, but I will likely stick with my EK ACF fittings and other EK parts for now as they are all very nicely made and machined.

Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s