Another Way Humans are Being Surpassed by Tech?

An interesting article appeared in VentureBeat https://venturebeat.com/2017/10/15/voice-and-facial-recognition-could-help-ai-surpass-humans-in-emotional-intelligence/ that got me thinking about AI and humans and how AI is perhaps surpassing human ability on a front that I wouldn't have necessarily thought possible: emotional intelligence.

The article title mentions voice and facial recognition, but delves pretty deeply into algorithms and how based on those algorithms, computers have become better than humans at emotional intelligence. Basically the author makes the point that algorithms were written by Facebook, Google et al. and from what I gather, the algorithms are self-improving through AI. That's why sometimes you hear a sound byte on the news that Facebook doesn't know what it's own algorithm is doing when it comes to deleting posts, putting inappropriate ads next to unrelated content/a companies brand, and so on. Facebook, Google, etc. loosed these algorithms on the world (i.e. us) and now they are surpassing humans in (maybe) surprising ways, one of them being in emotional intelligence. Emotional intelligence is basically the human capability to read what another human is feeling or communicating through facial expression and body language and to also predict elicited emotion from others. These algorithms are becoming so advanced, they can more accurately read not only basic mood and predict emotional responses, but also read humans in ways that we generally can't such "as sexual orientation, political leaning, or IQ" through facial and voice recognition.

Now that all may very well be true. AI has already allowed computers to surpass human capability in more than a couple areas such as chess playing/strategy and knowledge such as Jeopardy. Perhaps AI is better at emotional intelligence now than we are. The line between human and machine appears to be getting increasingly blurred.

The article made me think about the question: can a machine become human? I personally would argue that an algorithm applied to any machine can make that machine approximate human behavior, but not make that machine human no matter how close that approximation is. A fundamental fact exists that machines and humans took different evolutionary routes and our physical make-ups too different. So, at this point, I can see that humans can be modelled after and yes, surpassed by machines in some ways, but we are not equivalent to each other nor do I believe that machines can literally become human.

AI will never overcome humans because consciousness is immaterial (you can disembody consciousness but not disembody a body or a mind therefore they are separate) and therefore a machine cannot truly be self aware or truly creative or truly know what it is doing or have its own desires.

AI has never done anything we could not have given the time.

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

Machines can't become human. We should stop trying to think like that. We should stop trying to compare machines to ourselves and instead think of machines as their own existence. People only want machines to be compared to them because we created them.

I strongly believe that when we reach a point of fully or semi self-aware AI, that they need to be brought up in a manner similar to anything else in life before being let out in the world. AI shouldn't only be given knowledge and be told to do things. It should learn to "grow up" and gain experience with the knowledge they acquire in a safe environment before being told to do things for real.

Imagine if you took a 18 year old who grew up in a small Podunk town, shoved them into the world, told them "good luck!"

It seems like every TN&R thread hasn't followed the guidelines today. HINT HINT

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Prime Directives.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

7 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Machines can't become human. We should stop trying to think like that. We should stop trying to compare machines to ourselves and instead think of machines as their own existence. People only want machines to be compared to them because we created them.

They can't become human, true. Thinking of machines as their own existence also demands that we think of apples as their own existence. Are they apples? Yes. Do they exist? Yes. But why do we need to think of them as anything more than that? If that is what you are trying to say about machines, then I agree. If you're saying something more, I disagree.

We only compare them to ourselves because they are the second thing that appears to be able to think. We already compare animals to ourselves (why? it's really mindboggling. We are not animals, that much is obvious) because they have the potential ability, in our view, to think like us. Even though they don't. That is a good analogy for AI to humans.

7 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I strongly believe that when we reach a point of fully or semi self-aware AI

We will never reach that point with AI, and there are multiple reasons why. One of them is this:

a) Consciousness, or sentience, whatever you want to call it, is the only owner of mental states.

b) Mental states are things to which one has private access (I don't know what you are thinking and you do not know what I am thinking, even during brain surgery, the doctors have to ask the patient what they are seeing/feeling, because they cannot know it just from the physical brain)

c) Physical things are things to which no one has private access (We all can know something physical)

d) Therefore, mental states are not physical.

e) Therefore, consciousness is not physical.

f) AI can only be physical.

g) Therefore, AI will never have consciousness.

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Because we want to achieve the level of laziness as seen in Wall-E.

Wall-E as a rated R film would be Resident Evil 7... 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

The thread was moved out of the Tech News section.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

35 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

It seems like every TN&R thread hasn't followed the guidelines today. HINT HINT

For the last time, I will not tell you the secret plan for world domination. Stop asking Neko-kun.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.