PSU Recommendations for 7980XE + 1080Ti

Hazeno

Morning all. Just a quick question of what people would recommend for my latest rig. 

I9 7980xe

HOF 1080Ti

3x M.2 SSD

Asus Rampage VI Extreme 

64Gb Trident Z

2x SATA SSD

2x Platter 5400.

I will be overclocking and I've seen the monstrous power draw she has Overclocked. So now I'm torn on PSUs.  Especially since most UK stockists have been hit hard by miners for PSUs

If you have to ask that then this system is not for you anyways.

Lemme rephrase: What are you gonna do with this?

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Well when overclocked the 19 7980xe can consume 1000watts so if you plan on overclocking you would probably want a 1200 watt psu or more.

12 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Well when overclocked the 19 7980xe can consume 1000watts so if you plan on overclocking you would probably want a 1200 watt psu or more.

thats on ln2 m8,on water you can go with around 500w

i7 4790K | 4.5ghz @1.19v / 1080 ti strix oc  / Asus Z97 Pro Gamer  / 970 Evo 500GB | 850 Evo 500GB / Corsair 780t white|window  

PG279Q | VG248QE/ Corsair ax860i   /   Corsair H110i GTX   /  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2400mhz /

51 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

If you have to ask that then this system is not for you anyways.

Lemme rephrase: What are you gonna do with this?

Why is asking for recommendations on power supplies ANY reason the system is 'not for me'. 

Clearly stated I know the power draw and would like something recommended by others to throw into my mix. 

As stated aswell in the UK miners have taken most PSUs so needs to be readily available. 

Back to topic. I was thinking the Strider Titanium 1300 Or the Ax1300i

6 minutes ago, Hazeno said:

Back to topic. I was thinking the Strider Titanium 1500 Or the Ax1500i

never heard of that psu brand. get something from this tier 1 preferably, as you spend a lot on your system. that said the Ax1500i seems pretty good, but the 1200 version will most likely also be enough. also the hx and hxi are good options, they are newer and, in my country, cheaper.

~i5-7600k @5GHz ~Be Quiet! Dark rock 3 ~MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G ~Gigabyte GA-Z270-gaming K3 ~Corsair Vengeance Red led ~NZXT S340 Elite

4 minutes ago, Glennieboyyy007 said:

never heard of that psu brand. get something from this tier 1 preferably, as you spend a lot on your system. that said the Ax1500i seems pretty good, but the 1200 version will most likely also be enough. also the hx and hxi are good options, they are newer and, in my country, cheaper.

Strider is a Silverstone PSU. For some reason my phone deleted Silverstone after typing :/

Was also going to post about the HX1200 but there was no stock when i checked Thursday but I've found a few vendor with decent pricing aswell. 

25 minutes ago, Lurick said:

You have a couple options:

1 - Nuclear reactor

2 - 1600 Watt PSU

3 - Lots of gerbils 

Yea, I don't understand this thread. If you're spending this much on your computer anyways why not just buy a 1,000W or more PSU. There is a PSU Tier list.

7 minutes ago, Hazeno said:

Strider is a Silverstone PSU. For some reason my phone deleted Silverstone after typing :/

Was also going to post about the HX1200 but there was no stock when i checked Thursday but I've found a few vendor with decent pricing aswell. 

okay, thanks for the info. the strider is tier 3, whioch is still a good psu, but if it was my system i'd get a tier 1 psu,. as they are the most reliable psu's

~i5-7600k @5GHz ~Be Quiet! Dark rock 3 ~MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G ~Gigabyte GA-Z270-gaming K3 ~Corsair Vengeance Red led ~NZXT S340 Elite

6 minutes ago, Glennieboyyy007 said:

okay, thanks for the info. the strider is tier 3, whioch is still a good psu, but if it was my system i'd get a tier 1 psu,. as they are the most reliable psu's

That tier list I should've looked at first. Thanks for the post I fully agree with your comment. 

I've noticed Seasonic Snow are in tier 1 and due in stock tomorrow are 1050W Seasonic Snow Silent. 

Since my GPU and Case are both white ( White 570x and White Hof 1080Ti ) this is swaying me.

Choice I'm left with are 

Seasonic Snow Silent 1050w

Corsair hx1200i

EVGA Supernova 1200 P2. 

All 3 are Tier 1. 

2 minutes ago, Hazeno said:

That tier list I should've looked at first. Thanks for the post I fully agree with your comment. 

I've noticed Seasonic Snow are in tier 1 and due in stock tomorrow are 1050W Seasonic Snow Silent. 

Since my GPU and Case are both white ( White 570x and White Hof 1080Ti ) this is swaying me.

Choice I'm left with are 

Seasonic Snow Silent 1050w

Corsair hx1200i

EVGA Supernova 1200 P2. 

All 3 are Tier 1. 

That's a tough list, lol. All three are great brands :)

I'm tempted to recommend the Corsair though but depending on how far you plan to OC the chip and GPU, the Snow Silent could get the job done :) 

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

6 minutes ago, Lurick said:

That's a tough list, lol. All three are great brands :)

I'm tempted to recommend the Corsair though but depending on how far you plan to OC the chip and GPU, the Snow Silent could get the job done :) 

I've got 1 day to decide between the 3. Everything is here bar the 7980xe as stock is meant to arrive tomorrow. Which also gives me a chance to stick the seasonic into the order ;)

I've a soft spot for corsair as it is. So it's a hard choice. Hence why I asked for recommendations. I'm a very indecisive person and very hard to please so I use others justification to help justify a purchase. 

25 minutes ago, Hazeno said:

I've got 1 day to decide between the 3. Everything is here bar the 7980xe as stock is meant to arrive tomorrow. Which also gives me a chance to stick the seasonic into the order ;)

I've a soft spot for corsair as it is. So it's a hard choice. Hence why I asked for recommendations. I'm a very indecisive person and very hard to please so I use others justification to help justify a purchase. 

well, it's nice to know that the psu is white, but i don't think you will be able to notice it very well, as there is a psu shroud. other than saying that, i wish you good luck on your choice and have fun building your pc and using it

Just get the EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2 80+ TITANIUM and you MIGHT be fine...

I own one and it's way more than I'll ever use in one build but I'm very happy with it.

From what I've been seeing online for what those CPUs can pull, plus if you OC your 1080ti, and with everything else you got..

I'd think you'd have thermal problems before ever hitting anywhere close to 1600 total watts after adding in more 1080ti's.

Jay2cents hit just under 1000 watts IIRC.. check his video out.

If he OC's everything, what kind of BTU do you guys think he'll generate lol?

I hope you live in Antarctica?

edit:

"I've a soft spot for corsair as it is. So it's a hard choice. Hence why I asked for recommendations. I'm a very indecisive person and very hard to please so I use others justification to help justify a purchase."

Then get the EVGA 1600 T2 80+ titanium I linked above, 

because you can NOT go wrong with that purchase for this build.

My mining journey

7 hours ago, Hazeno said:

Morning all. Just a quick question of what people would recommend for my latest rig. 

I9 7980xe

HOF 1080Ti

3x M.2 SSD

Asus Rampage VI Extreme 

64Gb Trident Z

2x SATA SSD

2x Platter 5400.

I will be overclocking and I've seen the monstrous power draw she has Overclocked. So now I'm torn on PSUs.  Especially since most UK stockists have been hit hard by miners for PSUs

For a 7980XE at 1.4V and a 1080Ti heavily OC'd I would recommend a 750W-850W PSU.

Something like an EVGA 750G3 or Corsair RM750x would be my recommendation.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

5 hours ago, D Levy said:

He 753W with a crazy overclock and overvolt on that CPU. You really don't want your cores hitting 90C ever xD If you delidded it and you watercooled it you might want to stay at 1.23V for longevity.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||