Windows 10?

So, I got a older ASUS cm1730, and even though it may be a piece of junk to some, it is my first actual desktop computer. I see potential in it, with it's M4A7BLT-M motherboard, and it's AMD Phenom II X6 processor, which is currently clocked at 2.80 ghz.

Even though some would argue that they like Windows 7 better than 10, but whether or not personal taste, that is not the case for me. One of the upsides of my otherwise horrible laptop was Windows 10, and I would love to have that experience on this machine.

So, my real question is, where should I buy Windows 10? What version? Disk, USB, or download? and most importantly, where should I buy it from, as I know that there are plenty of shady sites out there. Also, does anyone know if Windows goes on sale during Black Friday? If that is the case, I can wait.

I also have heard of some people getting Windows 10 for free if you have 7 or 8.1 (even though that deal is over), but they don't seem so trustworthy, even though they seem to be official Microsoft links.

Please tell me your thoughts!

There's like windows for $20 but i'm not quite into that so i don't know where to quite buy etc..

Just now, keNNySOC said:

There's like windows for $20 but i'm not quite into that so i don't know where to quite buy etc..

Thanks for the response! And yes, I agree, I honestly think that $20 dollar Windows 10 sounds quite shady! xD

Just now, Enderess said:

Thanks for the response! And yes, I agree, I honestly think that $20 dollar Windows 10 sounds quite shady! xD

As shady as it seems, i heard its quite real, don't know about it to much but there is windows for $20

as far as performance, 10 is better. despite whether people like 10 or not, it is objectively better.

depending on how much ram you have, you can probably get 32bit instead of 64bit.

you can buy it at a retail store on a disk or usb, or you can get a download direct from microsoft.

there are subreddits that are pretty legit where you can get it really cheap.

places like g2a or kinguin, while they may work and are dirt cheap, they are sketchy as fuck.

as far as black friday, when i worked at frys, windows never went on sale during black friday. so i wouldnt bother waiting.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Just now, Tsuki said:

as far as performance, 10 is better. despite whether people like 10 or not, it is objectively better.

depending on how much ram you have, you can probably get 32bit instead of 64bit.

you can buy it at a retail store on a disk or usb, or you can get a download direct from microsoft.

there are subreddits that are pretty legit where you can get it really cheap.

places like g2a or kingwin, while they may work and are dirt cheap, they are sketchy as fuck.

as far as black friday, when i worked at frys, windows never went on sale during black friday. so i wouldnt bother waiting.

Ok, thanks for the response! I'll be looking into it! And yes, I do think that it is obviously a point that Windows 10 does run better than 7, but personal prefrence... I guess..

1 minute ago, keNNySOC said:

As shady as it seems, i heard its quite real, don't know about it to much but there is windows for $20

You are right, just some people do have claims that they people supplying the keys abuse their power.

As @Tsuki said, use G2A or Kinguin. 

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD 

You can download a media creation tool here, then all you need is a usb flash drive to install https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10  You can install without a key and purchase a key from windows after installing, can't get much more legit than that xD or you could just run it indefinitely without activating, you get a watermark in the bottom right corner and some settings are semi locked (everything can still be done, just not through the settings menu) 

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

8 minutes ago, Enderess said:

So, I got a older ASUS cm1730, and even though it may be a piece of junk to some, it is my first actual desktop computer. I see potential in it, with it's M4A7BLT-M motherboard, and it's AMD Phenom II X6 processor, which is currently clocked at 2.80 ghz.

Even though some would argue that they like Windows 7 better than 10, but whether or not personal taste, that is not the case for me. One of the upsides of my otherwise horrible laptop was Windows 10, and I would love to have that experience on this machine.

So, my real question is, where should I buy Windows 10? What version? Disk, USB, or download? and most importantly, where should I buy it from, as I know that there are plenty of shady sites out there. Also, does anyone know if Windows goes on sale during Black Friday? If that is the case, I can wait.

I also have heard of some people getting Windows 10 for free if you have 7 or 8.1 (even though that deal is over), but they don't seem so trustworthy, even though they seem to be official Microsoft links.

Please tell me your thoughts!

windows 10 IS a free upgrade if you have windows 7 or 8.1, and I would highly recommend going that route if you have it. You can use the windows 10 media creation tool (from microsoft) to upgrade it for free (just have the media you created and run from your OS).

If you want to buy a new copy of 10, kinguin has never done me wrong and you can get pro for 20-30 bucks

A phenom II x6 should handle 10 well, I gave my ex an old 1100t build I had, and as soon as 10 was available she upgraded to it, no issues whatsoever.

Just now, Enderess said:

You are right, just some people do have claims that they people supplying the keys abuse their power.

If you are worried about it not working, Kinguin and G2A support is decent if you buy their cheap insurance.

Just now, YedZed said:

As @Tsuki said, use G2A or Kinguin. 

i did not say that.

i said they exist, but they are sketchy as fuck and i highly suggest NOT using them. especially g2a, which is cancer.

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

1 minute ago, Enderess said:

Don't know anything about that...

First off, before replying, I just have to say that the responses on here are way faster than other forums! Thanks for the responses guys! :D

1 minute ago, Tsuki said:

i did not say that.

i said they exist, but they are sketchy as fuck and i highly suggest NOT using them. especially g2a, which is cancer.

My bad, read too fast and thin. 

IMO they work just fine, in the experience I have with them. Ethically, I have no idea, but hey, I "pirate" music, so why stop at a sketchy OS.

You can buy windows in a disk format, or you can download windows 10 from microsofts website, and save it to a USB with at least 4-8GB of space. During the setup process, you can use an existing windows 7/8 key to activate windows, or you can purchase an activation key from other vendors such as kinguin.net During the setup process you can skip by pressing "I dont have a product key", be aware that this is the unactivated version of windows 10, there will be a watermark down in the bottom right hand corner and you do have limitations of personalization. You can later activate windows in the unactivated version if you want to.

2 minutes ago, Cyracus said:

You can download a media creation tool here, then all you need is a usb flash drive to install https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10  You can install without a key and purchase a key from windows after installing, can't get much more legit than that xD or you could just run it indefinitely without activating, you get a watermark in the bottom right corner and some settings are semi locked (everything can still be done, just not through the settings menu) 

Yeah, that is what I thought about doing, just wanted to hear what other people though to make sure that I don't do something stupid in the long run xD Also, I know this may be stupid, but is there a certain way to buy a key through microsoft without buying it through USB? 

Yeah, that is what I thought about doing, just wanted to hear what other people though to make sure that I don't do something stupid in the long run xD Also, I know this may be stupid, but is there a certain way to buy a key through microsoft without buying it through USB? 

Yes. Its one of their options.

You actually have an option to "upgrade this PC now" from the media creation tool. so if you have windows 7 or 8.1, download and run the tool and you should be set with no money out of pocket!

Just now, TheBeastPC said:

You can buy windows in a disk format, or you can download windows 10 from microsofts website, and save it to a USB with at least 4-8GB of space. During the setup process, you can use an existing windows 7/8 key to activate windows, or you can purchase an activation key from other vendors such as kinguin.net During the setup process you can skip by pressing "I dont have a product key", be aware that this is the unactivated version of windows 10, there will be a watermark down in the bottom right hand corner and you do have limitations of personalization. You can later activate windows in the unactivated version if you want to.

But doesn't Windows 10 use a different type of key, like a ID or something? (I don't know, I just remember hearing that somewhere), and also, if it needs a key, can I use the key I am currently using? 

Windows 7 (SP1) is activated.PNG

Just now, YedZed said:

My bad, read too fast and thin. 

IMO they work just fine, in the experience I have with them. Ethically, I have no idea, but hey, I "pirate" music, so why stop at a sketchy OS.

my problem is 3 months down the line when microsoft revokes the key because it was an msdn key that shouldnt have been sold. or purchased with a stolen credit card and then put on g2a.

these are common issues that g2a specifically refuses to acknowlege or protect against. their insurance doesnt actually do anything (i know people who have tried) and there was that issue on reddit a while back where they had an AMA, somebody told them how to get around their sales protections and they just banned him instead of fixing it.

g2a is a cancer on community and i refuse to support them

|Specs in profile|

1 minute ago, y0y0ninja said:

You actually have an option to "upgrade this PC now" from the media creation tool. so if you have windows 7 or 8.1, download and run the tool and you should be set with no money out of pocket!

That is nice! Could I use my current product key on the PC to activate it, or does it come pre-activated?

2 minutes ago, YedZed said:

Yes. Its one of their options.

Oh, ok thanks.

5 minutes ago, Enderess said:

you follow that link I posted and there's a media install tool, it might let you upgrade through it, but I've only done it making a usb installer with a usb drive I already had, no need to get it from micro$. You can try your current key and see if it works, if not you'll have to pay to activate

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W