Windows 10?

Just now, Enderess said:

But doesn't Windows 10 use a different type of key, like a ID or something? (I don't know, I just remember hearing that somewhere), and also, if it needs a key, can I use the key I am currently using? 

Windows 7 (SP1) is activated.PNG

Windows requires an activation key for activation, not ID. You can use your current key (assuming that its an existing windows 7/8 key).

Just now, TheBeastPC said:

Windows requires an activation key for activation, not ID. You can use your current key (assuming that its an existing windows 7/8 key).

Oh, ok. So, I can use the key that is currently activated (sorry if I am asking to many questions..) 

Just now, Enderess said:

Oh, ok. So, I can use the key that is currently activated (sorry if I am asking to many questions..) 

Is it an existing windows 7/8 key?

8 minutes ago, Enderess said:

That is nice! Could I use my current product key on the PC to activate it, or does it come pre-activated?

itll activate itself during the upgrade process

3 minutes ago, TheBeastPC said:

Is it an existing windows 7/8 key?

if trying to activate 7/8 yes it will work, but I believe they are talking about activating 10, as their current install is already activated. If that is the case then no it will not work, you will have to go through the upgrade process to get a windows 10 license

Thanks for the responses! To clarify, the Windows on my machine is already activated, and it is a genuine copy of Windows 7 SP1.

So, I have an interesting question. If I installed Windows 10, but needed a product key, could I get a cheap copy of Windows 7, and use the product key for that? Because, I know that Windows 7 is cheaper.

9 minutes ago, y0y0ninja said:

if trying to activate 7/8 yes it will work, but I believe they are talking about activating 10, as their current install is already activated. If that is the case then no it will not work, you will have to go through the upgrade process to get a windows 10 license

If I buy a cheap (unused) copy of Windows 7, could I use the product key from that?

I might just get Windows 10 on USB, if that is more useful.

What are your thoughts? Thanks for the responses by the way, clears things up.

31 minutes ago, Enderess said:

What are your thoughts? Thanks for the responses by the way, clears things up.

Like I said before, if you upgrade what you have to 10 it will automatically activate the install of 10 in the upgrade process. you do not have to buy anything.

Edit: you do not have to re-enter your key to upgrade, i believe that is where a lot of the confusion is coming from

11 minutes ago, y0y0ninja said:

Like I said before, if you upgrade what you have to 10 it will automatically activate the install of 10 in the upgrade process. you do not have to buy anything.

Edit: you do not have to re-enter your key to upgrade, i believe that is where a lot of the confusion is coming from

Oh, ok, that cleared things up for me. I will probably get Windows 10 soon, but first I would like to save some of my family's pictures onto a flashdrive before installing, thanks for helps everybody!