Build Log for Devastator 2.0

Nephanor

Well, it's all together and it survived the leak test.  SysPrep is currently flushing though the system and will be the rest of the day.  I did learn one VERY valuable lesson:

Setting up a simple way to fill is MORE important than preparing how to drain.

In my setting up the layout, I completely neglected to determine how to fill the damn loop.  This is a LOT bigger pain in the ass than I expected for this one because of the Res placement.  Luckily, I found a way.  By tipping the computer on it's face, I can make it easier to fill.  It's a bit of a pain, but it works.  It's also a bit of a chore getting all the air bubbles out, but again, it works.   Will finish up prepping the system today, and tomorrow will flush and work on filling with the final fluid and getting all the cabling squared away.

Well, I need to learn to not rush.  I was trying to fill the system today with the final fluid after getting the system prep done and I made a rookie mistake.  I forgot to put a plug back on before moving the computer.  Fluid got EVERYWHERE.  Luckily, since it's a water base, it is fairly easy to clean up, and just letting it dry up in other areas, but damn, what a mess.  Still giving it some time before I connect any power to it, just in case.  Just glad it didn't stain the carpet where it hit it, and I was able to get a towel to soak most of it up.  I was in full panic mode, thinking one of the tubes had gone loose till I noticed the plug not in place.  Boy was that a relief.

Welll, this isn't good.  I can't get the damn thing to post.  It cycles through a bunch of numbers on the status display, then goes to 00 and never gets past it.  Looks like I may have to empty the damn thing and try to remove parts one at a time till it works.  Already tried memory, no luck.  Luckily I kept all the fans for the CPUs, because if it REALLY comes down to it, I may just make this damn thing air cooled.  I am THAT pissed off right now.  This is a LOT of work that isn't working.  And worse then that, a lot of money.

20 hours ago, Nephanor said:

Welll, this isn't good.  I can't get the damn thing to post.  It cycles through a bunch of numbers on the status display, then goes to 00 and never gets past it.  Looks like I may have to empty the damn thing and try to remove parts one at a time till it works.  Already tried memory, no luck.  Luckily I kept all the fans for the CPUs, because if it REALLY comes down to it, I may just make this damn thing air cooled.  I am THAT pissed off right now.  This is a LOT of work that isn't working.  And worse then that, a lot of money.

Did you not verify a post before water cooling?

I got it posting with ONE GPU, rather than all four. I know, I know, I should have.

On 10/12/2019 at 11:52 PM, Nephanor said:

I got it posting with ONE GPU, rather than all four. I know, I know, I should have.

Is fine, mistakes are always made :P

On 10/13/2019 at 12:52 AM, Nephanor said:

ooh, that must have been a pain to disassemble...

is it posting fine with all cards now?

• 8 months later...

Okay, this one has been a HUGE pain and a lot of time.  I literally had to convert it to air cooling, because not only was my loop terrible for water cooling (the layout made it near impossible to fill/drain) but I could not get it to post.  I finally got in there, converted it all to air, and got it to post properly with air.  And then I went in, changed some settings in the BIOS that would let all four video cards post, and it's good.  It boots with all four, and runs fine with all four!  I got all the addons for the UV and control of the RGB working great too.  Now, my fun is removing all the water cooling stuff (still have the pump and some of the tubes screwed into the case) and deciding what to put to make the glowing worth it all, as the big space where the pump was is now empty.  Any suggestions on what would look cool in the pump's spot?  I have green and yellow UV reactive filament, and a decent 3D printer.

Also, another issue I never even thought of.....my UPS can only output 900 W, and with all four video cards running, it draws WAY more then that.  So, now UPS is needed >.<

EbxijWWUEAMFlBv.jpg

EbxikLeUMAAcxmI.jpg