Looking to get into hifi and records

RGProductions

Hello I'm a noob looking to get into hifi, records, and general quality playback of audio. I'm pretty good with things made in my time, but can somebody tell me the basics, like what took for, what to avoid, and what things are called. Also, recommendations of things to buy. Or pointing me in the right direction as to where to find it. Thanks!

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

3 minutes ago, RGProductions said:

Techmoan.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

If by your time you mean this general era of technology... you should be able to download 320+ tracks / flacs and play them through whatever sound system you need. Are you looking for good audio equipment or media to play?

4 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Techmoan.

Ah yes techmoan... How could I forget that? And ninjake- I know. I have a collection of flac files on my desktop. Records are theoretically worse. They just have a magic to them that nothing else does? Most definitely looking for equipment, I've got plenty of stuff to play :P

1 minute ago, NinJake said:

If by your time you mean this general era of technology... you should be able to download 320+ tracks / flacs and play them through whatever sound system you need. Are you looking for good audio equipment or media to play?

22 minutes ago, RGProductions said:

Ah yes techmoan... How could I forget that? And ninjake- I know. I have a collection of flac files on my desktop. Records are theoretically worse. They just have a magic to them that nothing else does? Most definitely looking for equipment, I've got plenty of stuff to play :P

No need to please anyone but yourself, especially with audio. :P

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

It all depends on budget and general knowledge. Being a bit more specific would help.

Not to beat my own meat, but I have written some audio format guides, one of which is on records:

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

My idea of a hifi setup these days is a floorstanding speaker setup connected to amp with chromecast audio used for its source or apple tv

Go digital my friend, my dad owns hundreds of CDs and now he went full digital since you just cant keep on adding a cabinet for your CDs :P

10 hours ago, xtroria said:

My idea of a hifi setup these days is a floorstanding speaker setup connected to amp with chromecast audio used for its source or apple tv

Go digital my friend, my dad owns hundreds of CDs and now he went full digital since you just cant keep on adding a cabinet for your CDs :P

My friend with the kickass audio system uses a Lumin streamer, he has a NAS storage for all his music (WAV/FLAC/DSD64 and DSD128) and he's thinking of subscribing to Spotify or Tidal to broaden his audio horizon. This is based on the last time I'd seen his system, he could have improved on it by now.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

6 hours ago, GamerDude said:

My friend with the kickass audio system uses a Lumin streamer, he has a NAS storage for all his music (WAV/FLAC/DSD64 and DSD128) and he's thinking of subscribing to Spotify or Tidal to broaden his audio horizon. This is based on the last time I'd seen his system, he could have improved on it by now.

A NAS is really sweet since there are indeed some songs that are just not available on spotify or tidal. If you're 35 and younger though, almost all the songs you listen to most probably are in spotify, you can just get some of the songs that arent available uploaded to google music and then you can just stream it via chromecast.

I know a lot of people think the idea of music subscription is somewhat weird and stupid but music is the same as watching rental DVD. You're not gonna listen to them forever and sometimes some people have to wait when the latest thing comes out

On 10/7/2017 at 1:47 AM, RGProductions said:

Hello I'm a noob looking to get into hifi, records, and general quality playback of audio. I'm pretty good with things made in my time, but can somebody tell me the basics, like what took for, what to avoid, and what things are called. Also, recommendations of things to buy. Or pointing me in the right direction as to where to find it. Thanks!

Well as far as the basic set up goes for listening to records go you need a turntable -> phono pre amp -> amp -> speakers. So when you break it down to that level there are a lot of different places to start. I personally use an AT LP120 connected to an SMSL Q5 pro and out to my KEF Q100s ans subwoofer. I know a lot of people also really like project carbon as a modern turntable that is high quality. And definitely avoid Crosley since their tone arms don’t have a counter weight and can damage records quickly. End of the day it’s about budget, space needs and limitations, and ultimately what sounds best to you. In the audio world people can be far too opinionated so never forget that it is about what YOU enjoy since at the end of the day you’re the wine sitting down to listen.

On 10/8/2017 at 12:21 PM, xtroria said:

A NAS is really sweet since there are indeed some songs that are just not available on spotify or tidal. If you're 35 and younger though, almost all the songs you listen to most probably are in spotify, you can just get some of the songs that arent available uploaded to google music and then you can just stream it via chromecast.

In my experience it also depends a lot on the music you listen to. 

A huge part of my music library isn't available on any streaming service that I know of (some of it is not even available on a digital format), and uploading to Google Music isn't really an option for me either, since my library is too big for Google to allow me to upload it. 

On 10/8/2017 at 12:21 PM, xtroria said:

I know a lot of people think the idea of music subscription is somewhat weird and stupid but music is the same as watching rental DVD. You're not gonna listen to them forever and sometimes some people have to wait when the latest thing comes out

For me the idea of collection is not about listening to something forever. It's about having the ability to listen to whatever I want whenever I want. 

If I'm in the mood for a certain musical artist or album, then I'm not going to be hope that Spotify, Tidal or Google Music can satisfy that mood. 

And a physical library is also something you'll have forever. A subscription service will disappear when you stop paying. 

On 10/8/2017 at 12:43 PM, kmathieu2220 said:

Well as far as the basic set up goes for listening to records go you need a turntable -> phono pre amp -> amp -> speakers. So when you break it down to that level there are a lot of different places to start. I personally use an AT LP120 connected to an SMSL Q5 pro and out to my KEF Q100s ans subwoofer. I know a lot of people also really like project carbon as a modern turntable that is high quality. And definitely avoid Crosley since their tone arms don’t have a counter weight and can damage records quickly. End of the day it’s about budget, space needs and limitations, and ultimately what sounds best to you. In the audio world people can be far too opinionated so never forget that it is about what YOU enjoy since at the end of the day you’re the wine sitting down to listen.

Crosley (and similarly designed) turntables actually do have a counterweight. 

The counterweight is provided via spring tension in the tonearm rather than an actually weight at the end of the tonearm. 

It's a very cheap and end-user friendly method of providing the necessary weight adjustments and it used to be very common on older turntables. 

The same method is even used in the Audio-Technica LP60.  

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

You'll need to get a turntable, phono preamp and amp. It's only worth getting a turntable setup if you already have the records. If not, just stick to digital.

3 hours ago, seduce_me said:

You'll need to get a turntable, phono preamp and amp. It's only worth getting a turntable setup if you already have the records. If not, just stick to digital.

I just have such a love for them that sensible things kinda go out the window.

1 hour ago, RGProductions said:

I just have such a love for them that sensible things kinda go out the window.

I recommend looking used. You can get a decent vintage turntable for cheap. I got a nice pioneer for $100.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."