Microsoft Edge arrives (in beta) to Android and iOS devices - Sync between PC and Phone, "Continue on PC" feature, and more.

GoodBytes
Just now, GoodBytes said:

You can, well Chromium. There is a Vietnamese company (but the app in full English) that made it. Called CoqCoq Browser (2x accents on each o's which I can't do), it means: Knock Knock Browser. Has extension support, fast, lean, full featured, UWP Windows 10 Mobile app, free, professional looking.

Interesting... I wonder how much I can trust that though

and regardless, I don't really have a strong urge for that actually xD just, I'd rather have that than this :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 minutes ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

Why would anyone who has either an Android or IOS device, even use Edge? Or even considering using it?

'cause Chrome is not that great anymore. This gives another option to those who prefer Edge to enjoy PC and phone sync of bookmarks, Reading list, etc.

I suspect it will eventually support pen like Edge on Desktop, so Samsung Note users might be interested.

'cause Chrome is not that great anymore. This gives another option to those who prefer Edge to enjoy PC and phone sync of bookmarks, Reading list, etc.

I suspect it will eventually support pen like Edge on Desktop, so Samsung Note users might be interested.

Have you used Edge on Mobile? Cause I have for a long time and it's a piece of garbage. No matter how bad Chrome on mobile is, Edge is infinitely worst than Chrome.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Interesting... I wonder how much I can trust that though

and regardless, I don't really have a strong urge for that actually xD just, I'd rather have that than this :P

I don't know... but you should give it a try. I think you'll be surprised by the work done to it.

I don't know... but you should give it a try. I think you'll be surprised by the work done to it.

That's gonna be hard since I don't have a working android or ios device and if things go well hopefully I never will again

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

Have you used Edge on Mobile? Cause I have for a long time and it's a piece of garbage. No matter how bad Chrome on mobile is, Edge is infinitely worst than Chrome.

I have use it daily on my Windows 10 Mobile device, and I use it at times on my PC. Use it more on my SP due to better touchscreen support.

I don't know how Edge runs on iOS and Android.

Please note that all my systems are under the Insider Preview So, yes, I am enjoy a better Edge than most, I assume. I have Google as my default search engine on all of my devices in Edge.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

That's gonna be hard since I don't have a working android or ios device and if things go well hopefully I never will again

I think you meant Windows 10 Mobile and not "android or ios"

I think you meant Windows 10 Mobile and not "android or ios"

Oh I thought you meant this edge thing :P

5 minutes ago, tjcater said:

The only reason I would use it personally is that edge puts some of the controls at the bottom as firefox and chrome don't (At least for Android as I think safari still uses controls at the bottom) but still that is a stretch for a reason. Not going to stop me from downloading it as I already have 6 browsers on my phone :P

I thought bottom controls was default on Chrome now? If it isn't for you, you can enable it through the flags settings. I've had bottom controls enabled for the past 3 or 4 versions I think so I'm unsure whether it's default behavior by now. I'm sure Firefox will get there too eventually.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Please note that all my systems are under the Insider Preview So, yes, I am enjoy a better Edge than most, I assume.

Will some of the improvements be apart of your "Here is everything you need you to know..." article when it comes around?

1 minute ago, tjcater said:

Will some of the improvements be apart of your "Here is everything you need you to know..." article when it comes around?

I didn't reach comparing Edge, but if I am not mistaken, Edge mostly got improvements to its engine. You can now import your stuff from Chrome and IE, pin website to the taskbar, and improvement in managing Favorites (Bookmarks).

5 minutes ago, Daring said:

There's no more reason to get a Windows phone.

Microsoft has decided that there is no reason for third competitor. Windows 10 Mobile is still supported actively. But it is end of it. By end of 2018, Microsoft should be pulling the plug on it. This should give most people who the got phone 3 years of support. Microsoft is clearly transitioning away.

If Microsoft makes a phone, I suspect it will be a Android based, highly modified UI. Maybe throw in UWP support if they want tp push it, and not bin it. But anyway, that is a different topic.

Microsoft has decided that there is no reason for third competitor. Windows 10 Mobile is still supported actively. But it is end of it. By end of 2018, Microsoft should be pulling the plug on it. This should give most people who the got phone 3 years of support.

Hmm, yes. It really does seem like Microsoft is preparing to pull the plug. Why else would they bring all their apps to iOS and Android?

Just now, Daring said:

Continuum and potential win32 emulation for future SD835 based devices? Not really a great reason for 99.9% of people (Arbitrary percent based on gut), that and there are similar solutions such as Samsung's dex. But hey, there is a super small niche for the 0.1%ers.

I just wish website devs would stop with the little popup sections of their websites that appear whenever you scroll up or down.

I'm trying to read something, get your #$% out of the way of the text FFS

(this is the extent to which I care about mobile browsing)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

3 minutes ago, tjcater said:

Continuum and potential win32 emulation for future SD835 based devices? Not really a great reason for 99.9% of people (Arbitrary percent based on gut), that and there are similar solutions such as Samsung's dex. But hey, there is a super small niche for the 0.1%ers.

I suspect that would be the "Surface Phone". A full actual Windows 10 powered device running on ARM with Windows 10 on ARM + x86-64 emulation layer. Basically, a tablet with pen, that can fold up into a phone, and the interface adapts. Bringing the work of Mobile to Windows 10, and having 1 OS to maintain and support.

3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

At least for Android users, if it is like Windows 10 Mobile version of Edge, you will be able to set the web browser to Desktop mode, and it will identify itself as a desktop web browser version of Edge, forcing the display of the non mobile version of sites anywhere you go. This allows you to get the full experience of sites, and not the cut down version. So for example, if you are a content creator, and you want to use YouTube.com, you have full access, you can upload videos, set thumbnails, do everything you can normally do on your PC with the site, on your phone. If your bank has a shitty mobile website and app, well, the full website will always display to you, and things will display correctly. Same for, say, your company websites - employee portal pages.

I guess it will only play with the User Agent for that, but many websites adapt their design based on the screen size, so it wouldn't help in this case.

However this might be a great alternative to Chrome which keeps consuming gigs of RAM on PC.

A Full actual Windows 10 powered device running on ARM with Windows 10 on ARM + x86-64 emulation layer. 

Bringing the work of Mobile to Windows 10, and having 1 OS to maintain and support.

That would be the rumored Andromeda OS project that they got going which would be a very valid reason to discontinue the current windows mobile codebase if they still planned to compete in the smartphone arena(OS wise of course). Would love to see a surface phone one day even if I never buy one, but at this point, I'd imagine its hard to justify the r&d cost to design the phone unless they have the confidence to resurge Windows 10 M market share.

18 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

I thought bottom controls was default on Chrome now? If it isn't for you, you can enable it through the flags settings. I've had bottom controls enabled for the past 3 or 4 versions I think so I'm unsure whether it's default behavior by now. I'm sure Firefox will get there too eventually.

The default for my device was at the top but just changed it. Gotta say the implementation is mostly good besides the position of the 3 dot menu button thing(Is there a name, or is it called the menu button) is still hard to reach depending on hand position. My system shortcut of pressing the home button twice to open any menu bar/button is easier for me to reach, but it is still an improvement over the top location regardless.

27 minutes ago, Daring said:

You're implying that the allure of Edge was the last remaining thing keeping people on Windows Phone?  Uh... I think that's untrue on two levels :P  Not only is it not really enticing at all, but there are still other reasons I prefer WP

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I would much rather have chrome on windows phone than edge on android.  Then again, I don't think my phone could withstand its RAMlust xD

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

You can, well Chromium. There is a Vietnamese company (but the app in full English) that made it. Called CoqCoq Browser (2x accents on each o's which I can't do), it means: Knock Knock Browser. Has extension support, fast, lean, full featured, UWP Windows 10 Mobile app, free, professional looking.

Correct me if I am wrong, but Microsoft used to have the same stupid "only our browser engine is allowed" rule. Did they change that or is CoqCoq just a skin for Edge?

5 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but Microsoft used to have the same stupid "only our browser engine is allowed" rule. Did they change that or is CoqCoq just a skin for Edge?

Looks like they are closing their eyes, or is not the case. It does ID itself when you check as Edge... but not sure if it true or not. It is definitely faster than Edge.

HTML5 Test score is different, when I do the test.

452 for this web browser

Edge gets 463

Just now, LAwLz said:

I have no idea... I guess I'll wait for @GoodBytes :P

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Looks like they are closing their eyes, or is not the case. It does ID itself when you check as Edge... but not sure if it true or not. It is definitely faster than Edge.

I am 99% sure that Microsoft doesn't allow third party browser engines on Windows mobile, which would explain why it ID itself as Edge.

The speed difference you might feel is probably caching, or placebo.