Upgrade Question: Intel Haswell system to AMD AM4

Okay, let me get a few things out of the way here first.

The motherboard on my current system has died. I started topics on this forum (and other forums) going through various troubleshooting methods before coming to this answer.

This topic here is also not a "which one is better" topic, just want to be clear on that.

NOW FOR THE TOPIC PART

So since my motherboard has died I figured I would turn this bleak moment into an opportunity to do some upgrading.

I've had interest in switching over to Ryzen for a little while now so this seemed like the perfect opportunity.

What I'd like to know is that if there are any kind of complications I should keep in mind when making this kind of upgrade.

Would my OS have any issues with the new Motherboard, CPU and even RAM (would be DDR4 now)

One comment on this reddit forum says that I should just be able to put the new hardware in without any issues (just a few updates)

I'd prefer to be 100% certain of that.

Thanks for your time!

EDIT:

Forgot to include my current CPU & Mobo

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.0GHz

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-Gaming G1 Z97X

The AM4 platform is newer and supports all ryzen 3/5/7 processors.

• The AM4 platform provides better upgradability in the future
  • Ryzen processors are cheaper than its intel counterparts
  • Ryzen benefits from higher RAM speeds
  • Overclocking is also another factor that ryzen benefits from
  • You dont need to buy an aftermarket cooler, wraith cooler comes in the box with the processor
  • The wraith cooler is lots better than the stock intel cooler
  • The die is soldered down to the IHS, giving better cooling performance for ryzen at stock/OC frequencies

16 minutes ago, ShaunOfNintendo said:

This topic here is also not a "which one is better" topic, just want to be clear on that.

3 minutes ago, TheBeastPC said:

The AM4 platform is newer and supports all ryzen 3/5/7 processors.

• The AM4 platform provides better upgradability in the future
  • Ryzen processors are cheaper than its intel counterparts
  • Ryzen benefits from higher RAM speeds
  • Overclocking is also another factor that ryzen benefits from
  • You dont need to buy an aftermarket cooler, wraith cooler comes in the box with the processor
  • The wraith cooler is lots better than the stock intel cooler
  • The die is soldered down to the IHS, giving better cooling performance for ryzen at stock/OC frequencies

THEBeastPC did you actually read his post ? 

What OS are you currently using ? win 7/8/8.1/10

You'd well to go Ryzen, but CFL comes out Thursday if you're willing to wait.

All you need is to remove the motherboard and drop the new board in.

Since you're changing your motherboard, a clean install is preferred.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

What do you have now?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

15 minutes ago, TheBeastPC said:

You dont need to buy an aftermarket cooler, wraith cooler comes in the box with the processor

Is it included with all Ryzen CPU's?

R7 1700x and 1800x come without coolers

15 minutes ago, TheBeastPC said:

Ryzen benefits from higher RAM speeds

It also benefits from a BIOS update. Newer BIOS is more stable allowing for better RAM overclocking

Indus Monk = Indian+ Buddhist

2 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

What do you have now?

Updated post to include it.

27 minutes ago, ShaunOfNintendo said:

The motherboard on my current system has died. I started topics on this forum (and other forums) going through various troubleshooting methods before coming to this answer.

NOW FOR THE TOPIC PART

So since my motherboard has died I figured I would turn this bleak moment into an opportunity to do some upgrading.

I've had interest in switching over to Ryzen for a little while now so this seemed like the perfect opportunity.

What I'd like to know is that if there are any kind of complications I should keep in mind when making this kind of upgrade.

Would my OS have any issues with the new Motherboard, CPU and even RAM (would be DDR4 now)

One comment on this reddit forum says that I should just be able to put the new hardware in without any issues (just a few updates)

Thanks for your time!

I am sure there is a guide on this forum which explains how you can change platforms (that is; going from Intel to AMD and vice versa) without needing to reinstall windows. Just need to look for it

Indus Monk = Indian+ Buddhist

4 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

You'd well to go Ryzen, but CFL comes out Thursday if you're willing to wait.

I don't know what CFL is. Some new architecture? (If I google CFL all I get is Canadian Football League lol)

5 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

All you need is to remove the motherboard and drop the new board in.

Okay cool, thanks. I doesn't look like there could be any possible complications to my OS with the new hardware.

Just now, ShaunOfNintendo said:

I don't know what CFL is. Some new architecture? (If I google CFL all I get is Canadian Football League lol)

He's referring to Intel's Coffee Lake, the review-embargo will be lifted on the 5th, so you might as well wait a couple of days.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, ShaunOfNintendo said:

Okay cool, thanks. I doesn't look like there could be any possible complications to my OS with the new hardware.

CFL -> Coffee Lake.

Yes just replace the MB and it should just work. You may need to reactivate windows but that should be all.

31 minutes ago, ShaunOfNintendo said:

NOW FOR THE TOPIC PART

Thanks for your time!

EDIT:

Unless you're content creating, there's little reason to upgrade to Ryzen right now from Haswell except for future-proofing reasons. As much as I love to recommend Ryzen, from a pure value perspective I'd recommend you just get a new Z97 board, which can be found dirt cheap right now. Your money would probably be better spent on a faster GPU or more storage, depending on what the rest of your system is.

As for if you would have troubles, it depends. If you purchased your windows as part of a prebuilt system or from somewhere dirt cheap online, you likely have a OEM version of windows, which can have problems when migrating to new hardware, although if you spend enough time annoying windows tech support they'll transfer it, although in my experience this can be a 3+ hour process. Otherwise, you look good to migrate. :)

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

DO NOT move your OS to a different system.

You should be doing a clean install.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 hour ago, ShaunOfNintendo said:

NOW FOR THE TOPIC PART

Thanks for your time!

EDIT:

na you won't have any issues. enjoy the build. 

Generally it's better to do a clean install to avoid any driver issues and such. Also ryzen only runs on windows 10 so if you are on windows 7 you will have to install a new os.

Dont forget to get a decent mobo. A lot of them is garbage

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

I would just wait for benchmarks and pricing before you pull the trigger.

Also, all new platforms only support Windows 10 (at least from a Windows perspective) so keep that in mind.

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard