Corsair CX CS TX

M4DH4WK

CS is ultra budget, the CX are also more budget oriented but apparently people say that the CX-M series is pretty good for the price compared to the old ones. With your build and even upgrades there would be no reason to go beyond a bronze 600W PSU

TXM > CSM > CXM

Or if it's available, the RM550x.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

7 hours ago, Tiwaz said:

CS is ultra budget, the CX are also more budget oriented but apparently people say that the CX-M series is pretty good for the price compared to the old ones. With your build and even upgrades there would be no reason to go beyond a bronze 600W PSU

Wrong.  You're confusing CS with VS.

And I'm not sure why you think a PSU being Bronze or better has to do with anything either.

TX-M > CS-M > CX (Newer topology than CX-M, but not modular) > CX-M >

TX-M and CS-M are the same except the TX-M is rated at 50°C instead of 40°C, has increased hold up time and uses all Japanese capacitors.

Bronze PSUs are pretty common because engineers can use pretty old technology and pretty cheap parts and still produce a PSU that can meet Bronze efficiency.  If anyone suggests "get anything as long as it's Bronze", it's a trap.  The market is a shitstorm of Bronze PSUs and half of them are garbage.

8 hours ago, M4DH4WK said:

The TX of those is the best. If you want to save some money you should get a 550W TXM since that will have plenty of power for a single 290.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

lel any psu has to work with 40°C+ temps

49 minutes ago, Tiwaz said:

lel any psu has to work with 40°C+ temps

Kind of... Not really.... Depends....

But that's why I'm here... to educate.....

There's a difference between operating temperature range and full load operating temperature, which implies a derating curve of capability at higher temperatures.

Pretty much every single PSU on the face of this earth has an operating temperature range of 0°C to 50°C.  That DOES NOT mean it can do it's full output (i.e. a 600W PSU putting out 600W) at 50°C... or 40°C.. or in some cases, even 25°C!

It is NOT UNCOMMON for a cheaper PSU to be rated at 25 or 30°C.  That does NOT mean you can't use it if your ambients are upwards of 40°C or 50°C.  You simply can't push it to it's limits under those higher temperatures.

This derate can differ based on the component inside the PSU that's at the greatest risk of failing at higher temperatures.  I've seen it be a main transformer running too hot at full load... and I've seen it be a PFC FET that runs too hot.  These parts can run at 50°C, but under greater stress, the ΔT of these parts increases exponentially, above the rated temperatures of those individual components and bad things happen.

For example, a PWM MOSFET rated at 125°C doesn't exceed 125°C in 40°C ambients when running at maximum load, but might hit 140°C at 50°C ambients at full load.  This will cause that part to fail.

A de-rating curve spec on a PSU means that as the temperature rises, the PSU's output capability is reduced.  This usually looks something like "-10% @ +5°C", for example.  So if you have a 600W PSU that's rated at 25°C and a derating curve of -10% (or 60W) @ +5°C, and you're operating at a 40°C, that means the PSU can only really output 420W reliably.  Unfortunately, de-rating curves are almost never published on consumer level products, so you're left having to go by what the manufacturer says the "rated temperature" (and NOT the operating temperature range) is and trust that they're not lying to you.

So.. TL/DR:  If you see a PSU with an operating temperature range of 0°C to 40°C or 0°C to 50°C... don't assume that that PSU can actually output all of it's power at those temperatures based on those numbers.

On 1.10.2017 at 7:52 PM, jonnyGURU said:

in summer alone my case temp reaches 45°C when gaming so i cant imagine that half of all psus wont operate at that temp 40°C probably means max stability when you are drawing a lot of power from, the psu

Did you read what I posted?

So you're pushing your PSU at 100% >>AND<< are operating at 45°C....  ????