Ryzen 5 memory issues

So i am building a pc for a friend and I got him a R5 1600x and paired it with a msi b350 gaming pro carbon. It is not booting with this ram:

Patriot Viper Elite 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 2666MHz 

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820225075&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Memory+(Desktop+Memory)-_-N82E16820225075&gclid=CjwKCAjw3rfOBRBJEiwAam-GsKEf-yelcO_QU4UC-mUDvsT1l8l1pg_Vwv7qcKEJK1ZTW6oo0QRIKBoCXM8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I used some of my own to install windows and do a bios update but the thing is not booting with the new ram i purchased.

Any ideas??

Return it(if he can) and buy something from the Motherboards QVL list. Or Corsair Vengeance, that's pretty much guarantee'd to work.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

20 minutes ago, anthony12538 said:

So i am building a pc for a friend and I got him a R5 1600x and paired it with a msi b350 gaming pro carbon. It is not booting with this ram:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820225075&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Memory+(Desktop+Memory)-_-N82E16820225075&gclid=CjwKCAjw3rfOBRBJEiwAam-GsKEf-yelcO_QU4UC-mUDvsT1l8l1pg_Vwv7qcKEJK1ZTW6oo0QRIKBoCXM8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I used some of my own to install windows and do a bios update but the thing is not booting with the new ram i purchased.

Any ideas??

Did you check the ram on another PC? It's entirely possible, albeit unlikely, you got a couple of dead sticks.

1 hour ago, ravenshrike said:

Did you check the ram on another PC? It's entirely possible, albeit unlikely, you got a couple of dead sticks.

Yeah they work fine in the other pc which is running a 6700k

2 hours ago, anthony12538 said:

Any ideas??

This is the third time I've heard of this Patriot Viper ram today. Maybe I'm just blind and never saw it. It is on Patriot's list of Ryzen compatible kits.

Patriot Publishes List of AMD Ryzen Compatible DIMMs: Up to DDR4-3400, 64 GB

Does it post? Are you able to get into the bios to see the timings the board chooses by default?

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

11 minutes ago, johndms said:

This is the third time I've heard of this Patriot Viper ram today. Maybe I'm just blind and never saw it. It is on Patriot's list of Ryzen compatible kits.

Patriot Publishes List of AMD Ryzen Compatible DIMMs: Up to DDR4-3400, 64 GB

Does it post? Are you able to get into the bios to see the timings the board chooses by default?

No it doesn't post, the most progress I made was by swapping in some ripjaws and changing timings then swap back in the patriot ram. It would turn on and off by itself for a while then hang I tried to put in the timings from the spec sheet but no luck

1 minute ago, anthony12538 said:

No it doesn't post, the most progress I made was by swapping in some ripjaws and changing timings then swap back in the patriot ram. It would turn on and off by itself for a while then hang I tried to put in the timings from the spec sheet but no luck

Short of returning it and purchasing something known to work off QVL or some Samsung B-Die, the only thing I can think of would be to try your ripjaws method of changing the timings, choosing something incredibly loose, and lower frequency. 2133, 18-18-18-38, 2T command rate, 1.4v dram voltage, 1.1v CPU NB Voltage (soc voltage on other boards).

You may know this already, but I'll say it anyways. You are putting them in slots DIMMA2 and DIMMB2, right? I'm probably grasping at straws here. The rebooting is normal though, just Ryzen boards' attempts to "learn" sub-timings capable of posting. Other than resetting cmos, or giving it 5-10 minutes to post, I'm out of ideas.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

Yeah i tried all that already guess i will return it and  he will wait. Thanks for the help and replies everyone

Dont buy msi lol

do you have the 1.0.0.6b BIOS?

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

10 hours ago, dave_k said:

Dont buy msi lol

do you have the 1.0.0.6b BIOS?

Yeah I updated it to the latest

On 9/30/2017 at 1:39 AM, RKRiley said:

Return it(if he can) and buy something from the Motherboards QVL list. Or Corsair Vengeance, that's pretty much guarantee'd to work.

My corsair vengeance 3000 didn't work past 2667. so not guarantee'd to work.

Just now, Bungle09 said:

My corsair vengeance 3000 didn't work past 2667. so not guarantee'd to work.

I didn't say it'd work at a guarantee'd speed, just that its guarantee'd to boot.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

On 10/3/2017 at 2:25 PM, RKRiley said:

I didn't say it'd work at a guarantee'd speed, just that its guarantee'd to boot.

Sirs, you are a master salesman :)