Why is my internet so slow?

Tempsest_xD

I have ran multiple speed tests on my computer and all of them have said that my connection is very fast; but randomly throughout the day my modem will simply stop working, and cuts everything off from the internet. I also get a ridiculously slow connection, especially while playing games like CS:GO; where in I have a average ping of about 300 and get almost unplayable speeds. Is it possible that my modem is holding me back from getting the speeds that I should be getting?

My modem is only 2 years old, and I'm not sure if it's just cheaply made or if something else is happening. If anyone has any ideas as to what's happening I would appreciate it.

Thanks!  

Do you know what modem you have and also what speeds should you be getting from your ISP?

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

what's modem is it and are you wired?

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

I would pickup an archer c7, and put your modem/router in bridged mode.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

2 hours ago, Tempsest_xD said:

I have ran multiple speed tests on my computer and all of them have said that my connection is very fast; but randomly throughout the day my modem will simply stop working, and cuts everything off from the internet. I also get a ridiculously slow connection, especially while playing games like CS:GO; where in I have a average ping of about 300 and get almost unplayable speeds. Is it possible that my modem is holding me back from getting the speeds that I should be getting?

My modem is only 2 years old, and I'm not sure if it's just cheaply made or if something else is happening. If anyone has any ideas as to what's happening I would appreciate it.

Thanks!  

Who is your provider?

What modem to do you have?

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Thanks for all the replies but I fixed it by changing the channel it was on I now get around 24 Mbps for download and 2 Mbps for uploading. 

28 minutes ago, Tempsest_xD said:

Thanks for all the replies but I fixed it by changing the channel it was on I now get around 24 Mbps for download and 2 Mbps for uploading. 

Good solution. In the future, you can use an app such as wifi analyzer or wifi manager on your phone. It'll show you what channels are being used near you and which ones are the clearest. And try to use 5Ghz when you can.

Currently majoring in computer networking. That's about it yeah. Not much goes on in my life.

Be sure to quote me if you want me to reply!

21 hours ago, Tempsest_xD said:

Just so you know, if the channel is the problem and you are in a area with a lot of wireless interference it's possible people are using the auto channel option around you. and therefore it might now look okay but later it might be bad again.
You might want to consider using an app like mentioned above by @kagarium to check how bad it is, and if it's really bad you might want to consider laying a wired connection or switching to the 5GHz band instead if both your router/access point and clients allow for it.