Will My MOBO Kill My GPU?

UselessChimp

Hey All,

So, Last year I purchased an RX480 (prior to huge price bump), that card recently died (i think)

and by "(i think)" I mean that the card spun up, and lit up but did not POST. I went through literally every fix I could find online

updating bios

clearing CMOS

etc etc

My MOBO only has 1 PCI-E slot and thus I could not test the card in a different slot.

with the card still being under warranty, I sent it back to Amazon for a full refund. (i am currently running on my i5 6500's onboard graphics).

As I am 14 my only 2 opportunities to get new parts are my birthday (November) and Christmas.

so.

I can either get (for my birthday)

Ryzen 1600x And Accompanying MOBO

and then a 1070 for Christmas

or vice versa

my worry is that the MOBO PCI-E slot was dead and not the GPU, and therefore if I were to get my GTX 1070 before my new MOBO that the slot in my old MOBO might fry the 1070

should I therefore get my 1600x and MOBO first to avoid any potential issues or would I be ok to get the 1070 (even if the slot was dead, I could just store it until Christmas my worry is that it might be damaged by the slot) and not have to wait until christmas to play games again?

Thanks for all the help everyone :D

( I am aware that the 1070 would be bottlenecked by my current processor however this would only be from November 10th until Christmas)

As the R5 1600x doesn't  have on board graphics you might as well get the 1070 first. If the PCIE slot in your mother board is dead you can hold onto the card for another month and deal with the on board Intel graphics until you upgrade to the R5 1600x in December. If you upgrade to the R5 1600x first you wont be able to use it without a GPU. 

I don't know tons about what kills components... but I don't think a dead slot would hurt a GPU.

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

1 minute ago, COUPER MILLAR said:

As the R5 1600x doesn't  have on board graphics you might as well get the 1070 first. If the PCIE slot in your mother board is dead you can hold onto the card for another month and deal with the on board Intel graphics until you upgrade to the R5 1600x in December. If you upgrade to the R5 1600x first you wont be able to use it without a GPU. 

so if the slot was dead, it wouldn't damage the 1070 if I tried to install it?

6 minutes ago, UselessChimp said:

with the card still being under warranty, I sent it back to Amazon for a full refund. (i am currently running on my i5 6500's onboard graphics).

i would have requested a replacement card instead. AFAIK you get the original price refunded that you payed for the card when you bought it and not the current price.

if you bought the RX480 before prices went up then getting the card replaced and selling the replacement might have made you a profit.

anyways, is there any chance you can buy a cheap-as-possible PCIe graphics card right now to test your mainboard? like a 8400GS or something for under $20?

8 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

i would have requested a replacement card instead. AFAIK you get the original price refunded that you payed for the card when you bought it and not the current price.

if you bought the RX480 before prices went up then getting the card replaced and selling the replacement might have made you a profit.

anyways, is there any chance you can buy a cheap-as-possible PCIe graphics card right now to test your mainboard? like a 8400GS or something for under $20?

(I was refunded current Amazon price and not offered a replacement)

Also, I may be able to buy a cheap GPU to test the port but would not know what to buy 

2 minutes ago, UselessChimp said:

(I was refunded current Amazon price and not offered a replacement)

awesome.

3 minutes ago, UselessChimp said:

Also, I may be able to buy a cheap GPU to test the port but would not know what to buy 

Would The GPU be compatible with my MOBO anyway?

any PCIe graphics card should work. get the cheapest you can find. maybe ask a friend with a 100% working computer to test the card there first - just to make sure the card is not DOA.

if the card works in that PC but not in yours it is very likely your mainboard has a problem. try to RMA the board if that should be the case

11 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

awesome.

any PCIe graphics card should work. get the cheapest you can find. maybe ask a friend with a 100% working computer to test the card there first - just to make sure the card is not DOA.

if the card works in that PC but not in yours it is very likely your mainboard has a problem. try to RMA the board if that should be the case

Thanks for your help :D

can I ask,  would the slot (assuming it was dead) damage my 1070 if I were to try it?

wouldn't be surprised if your 480 had the power draw issue all the reference models had initially and over drew on the PCIE slot, killing it. I believe it was fixed in driver/ firmware updates but, it may have just worn your board's slot out, if the board itself didn't have a factory defect leading to it dying prematurely.

1 hour ago, UselessChimp said:

So, Last year I purchased an RX480

1 hour ago, UselessChimp said:

can I ask,  would the slot (assuming it was dead) damage my 1070 if I were to try it?

No

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

I would get a 1600x + mobo with a cheap (15$ or less) gpu as 1070s are stupidly  priced right now

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

13 hours ago, UselessChimp said:

i don't know.

that's why i recommended to buy a cheap as possible graphics card and test it.

if the slot is defective it would be better to "sacrifice" a $20 card first and then know if this board is fine or if it should never be used ever again. 

NOT testing the board for any card killing capabilities BEFORE slapping a brand new 1070 onto it is risky³

its more of will your GPU kill your mobo :P. Truthfully it is highly dependent on your board. The PCIe 2.0 spec allows 150W to be pulled from the PCIe slot so if your board is good there will be no problem.

Some guys did a video on the rx 480 pulling more than 75 from board, not a big deal for me because my motherboard has PCIe connectors on the board itself for extra power to deliver to the GPUs. They were complaining how AMD was being over the spec when it is only PCIe 1 that specifies 75W only and making a big deal out of it. A lot of boards however have cheap out so arent able to handle the card. I had the rx 480 on my board and it died in 2 months. Its not the board that killed it, its just that GCN cards (except the first GCN) have a high card failure rate. Vega however is better engineered so it hasnt failed yet.

I once tested vega FE in an old hp OEM board and my eGPU case, both werent able to handle the card. My eGPU's PSU is only 375W so it would handle the card at stock but not overclocked.

On 9/26/2017 at 12:30 AM, Damascus said:

I would get a 1600x + mobo with a cheap (15$ or less) gpu as 1070s are stupidly  priced right now

they're lower than MSRP in the uk :P

1 minute ago, UselessChimp said:

they're lower than MSRP in the uk :P

Go for a 1070 then 

37 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Go for a 1070 then 

If I were to buy a Geforce 315  would this card work with windows 10?

purely to test if the PCIe slot is dead??

Just now, UselessChimp said:

If I were to buy a Geforce 315  would this card work with windows 10?

purely to test if the PCIe slot is dead??

No idea, if it's pcie I would say probably.

On 9/25/2017 at 10:41 PM, KenjiUmino said:

EDIT

Found an 8400GS for £9

would this work with windows 10 just to test the slot.