Thunderfoot responded to Linus's hyperloop video

RazorStorm

Here is the video

Quite rough, someone in the comments even said, 

To be fair to Linus his video was more of to show off what a bunch of redditors did. With some clickbait hyperloop stuff.

also, thunderfoot = wan show viewer? nice

8 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

Rough indeed but criticism is still valid. 

true

Funny how a youtuber making videos about hardware projects can do the "unthinkable" in the Internet era and visit them - like Solar Roadways or Hyperloop - and confront them :)

It's technically possible to make a Hyperloop system, it's even based on an very old engineering design. Reasons why that design was only a design are skipped by the media that just see pretty pictures and a celebrity.

Also a bit on scientists and engineers (media actually). Look at Fontus crowdfunding campaign. Arts designer made a cool design of self filling water bottle - a.k.a air dehumidifier powered by a small solar cell. It was mentioned on many sites, even scientific blogs like IFLScience - they did nothing to check the project. Copy paste marketing description. Few people did however check it, like:

And of course now Fontus isn't looking like it was on first video (where it even wasn't a prototype as Indiegogo doesn't require a working prototype). If people get the current version - it will be a more standard dehumidifier with much bigger than original solar cell (still to small), as well as with normal plug for grid power (and it won't give 1l/h) - so you won't take it into the wild without accessing the grid (and a lot of warm humid air). Bottle will "self fill" - but not at an acceptable rate ;)

6 hours ago, RazorStorm said:

also, thunderfoot = wan show viewer? nice

Possibly my fault; I tweeted that excerpt of the WAN show at TF… within a long tweetstorm analyzing/critiquing his Hyperloop videos. This new video shows mostly his bewilderment with basic engineering concepts: things like disposable test platforms and prototypes, for example.

And note the complete lack of response to Linus's point.

that would feel so weird to be called out on someone's video like that.

Thunderfoot is an ass, but Linus addressed this in WAN nicely, about how hyperloop is a competition, not something that is being built right now. I enjoyed Thunderfoot's video on solar roads, but ultimately his MO is crushing internet dreams. That is something I can't stand by. Like if someone has an idea, and it doesn't make sense or whatever, tell them politely and then give them suggestions on how to fix their ideas. Don't be mean about it.

I mean.  It's not like I'm expecting Linus to know everything. People make mistakes. Better people own them (like the baking PCB one for example). 

Personally. I just hate wasted money that could be spent on resurrecting 3dfx Interactive :P haha

Here is the link on the video:

Let's see, a youtuber who makes money out of controversy versus Elon musk, a self made billionaire who invests in all new technologies either trying to improve the world or at worst keep people employed.  Even if the loop fails I know I'd still take Elon's advice when choosing a bank, loan, or business to buy.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

9 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Let's see, a youtuber who makes money out of controversy versus Elon musk, a self made billionaire who invests in all new technologies either trying to improve the world or at worst keep people employed.  Even if the loop fails I know I'd still take Elon's advice when choosing a bank, loan, or business to buy.

And that's your biggest problem.  You shouldn't care if the statement was done by Elon Musk, Thunderf00t, Linus, Mother Theresa,  Penn and Teller, Bill Gates or whoever.   

Past business ventures don't affect future ones. Charity works doesn't make a technology work better. Improving the world is a matter of perspective. I would say Mark Zuckerberg and Facebook are improving the world. Some would say They are destroying it :P  

And as someone who used to work in a bank :) Please dude, don't take advice from random people on which bank to choose or even worse. What loan to take ;)   And anyone who is so sure in some business being super profitable and a great purchase. Would have made the purchase themselves ;)

8 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I mean even if a hyperloop may not be suitable for living things to be transported it maybe it means we could have super fast delivery. Just bought a case from Amazon? It's at their facility in Shakopee, MN and you live in Florida? Well it'll be right there in 10 minutes or something like that.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

20 minutes ago, Mad_Duke said:

And that's your biggest problem.  You shouldn't care if the statement was done by Elon Musk, Thunderf00t, Linus, Mother Theresa,  Penn and Teller, Bill Gates or whoever.   

Past business ventures don't affect future ones. Charity works doesn't make a technology work better. Improving the world is a matter of perspective. I would say Mark Zuckerberg and Facebook are improving the world. Some would say They are destroying it :P  

And as someone who used to work in a bank :) Please dude, don't take advice from random people on which bank to choose or even worse. What loan to take ;)   And anyone who is so sure in some business being super profitable and a great purchase. Would have made the purchase themselves ;)

You seem to be laboring under the impression I have a problem.  I am merely pointing out that if I was to take advice from someone it would be a successful multifaceted business person over a you tuber.    Anywho, Huge amounts of R+D money is spent of products and technology that never see the light of day,  but you know what does see the light of day?  everything they learn from it.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

What a shitty video. "Oh, The Hyperloop is rusting" he says. A short little test track is hardly The Hyperloop. Who the hell cares if it's rusting? It's not built to last.

1 hour ago, Sakkura said:

What a shitty video. "Oh, The Hyperloop is rusting" he says. A short little test track is hardly The Hyperloop. Who the hell cares if it's rusting? It's not built to last.

I would say that it is the mirror of what they (Hyperloop people) actually think of it. I even take a big care that my temporary prototypes when I do something look decent. I am not telling to make it 100% corrosion resistant but just to make it a bit decent.

Just watched it and yeah, seems like he has some very good points.

1 hour ago, Sakkura said:

Typical that you'd focus on the one thing you can retute while entirely ignoring all the other points.

Heat expansion, welding a 600 mile long vacuum tube, having the ability to inspect the welds on a 600 mile long vacuum tube, the fact no one has built an air tight pod yet, the fact no one has managed more than car speeds inside a vacuum tube yet, the shoddy engineering, fucking painting over an O ring on a vacuum tube.

Plus your missing the point about the rust, it's not that the tube has rusted, it's that preventing that rust would have been incredibly easy and yet the space X team didn't even consider it and don't seem to think that a rusting vacuum pipe is an issue at all.

Linus sat on WAN and said the people calling it debunked didn't know what they were talking about, it seems to be the case that the Space X teams are the ones who don't understand what they're proposing properly and that if they throw enough money at it these problems will fix themselves.

The hyperloop is a fantasy, it's a great idea on paper but so is communism and we all know how that ended up.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

that's not his MO, it's about calling BS on things that are BS. I have still yet to see a good response to his issues. They just say "he's wrong" without addressing points.

Honestly, I want to beleive in hyperloop, so id love to see a good response to his problems.

The main problem with Hyperloop is that there are numerous issues with it that many people have stated and the people responsible for it (both engineers and Musk) have only managed to basically say "it's ok, we've got this". So far they have only said it but did not manage to show any proof whatsoever that they really know how to tackle those problems.

This is a pointless discussion because one side is specifying real issues and the other is using arguments from authority ("we have degrees/are succesful, we know what we are doing").

The problem is that science history is literally filled with mistakes and errors done by people with degrees.

They need to finally launch a working pod through one of those test tunnels - not necesarily with supersonic speed but maybe faster than a train or sports car. Then we can talk about some concrete expectations.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

thunderfoot is absolutely terrible. He has turned from science into bashing other people. I used to watch him but him attacking others by stringing together clips to make it seem like they said something else, not to mention his lack of effort for proving/disproving. For example with him trying to bust a dehumidifier, his version was poorly made while there are many ways to efficiently get heat and cold even in a desert for metal plates leaving only the need for solar to power fans and not require much from a compressor. He could've made a really good dehumidifier by improving upon that design and showing it to that university which would help them learn and correct/improve their paper.

Even in this video linus already said that even if the hyperloop doesnt succeed, the technology and methods used will help with a lot of other things and will advance science further. For thunderfoot to respond badly to it shows that he is no longer into science. We advance our science through trial and error and failure. Think of the people who built the hadron collider and the scepticism that came with it, many believe it would be useless or dangerous but it has made many discoveries and worth the money to build it.

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

Typical that you'd focus on the one thing you can retute while entirely ignoring all the other points.

I watched several minutes of a shitty, uninformed video, and that was the only real point he brought up. It's enough to prove that he's completely off base, regardless of what other weaknesses there may be in the Hyperloop concept (and yes, there certainly are weaknesses).

29 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

I watched several minutes of a shitty, uninformed video, and that was the only real point he brought up. It's enough to prove that he's completely off base, regardless of what other weaknesses there may be in the Hyperloop concept (and yes, there certainly are weaknesses).

He actually made several hyperloop videos and this one was focused on the test track mostly. No need to make several same videos.

I just wanted to add some more thoughts on the rust. I agree that it is just test track and not the permanent one, however, they should at least hide imperfections which will be visible by general population (huge rusty pipe doesn't strike with confidence). Thunderfoot was also pointing details like paint over the gasket etc. but those are just small details which are not visible unless you are really looking for details and he was going a bit over the board with it, but the rust IS a problem.

50 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Yeah because a working scientists with a full PhD is uninformed on the science and engineering of this project.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

8 hours ago, Mad_Duke said:

Dunno why he left out the part where linus mentions all of the short comings and what not to end with "but it's cool".

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

10 hours ago, croppy said:

that would feel so weird to be called out on someone's video like that.

Linus should totally get in contact and bring him on the WAN show just to ask Why he's so zealous about debunking things like the hyperloop.

Ima guess the answer is something like, because of how much attention it gets, and in the case of kickstater how much money it wastes, and because the media's "Science" reporters, just regurgitate the info instead of doing any investigation.

4 hours ago, System Error Message said:

I used to watch him but him attacking others by stringing together clips to make it seem like they said something else,

Going to need a link for that

I'm also not sure what tech from the hyperloop will be useful elsewhere. We already know how to build giant vacuum chambers and mag lev trains. So unless they can bring a truly new invention to the table, all of the money used on the project could have just gone to building the california high speed rail. Dunno how much of that is complete.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?