IPhone X Thoughts

JackDoyne

Oh cute, Apple rolled out yet another overpriced smart phone last night, 

As someone who's used an Iphone i really cannot see why anyone would invest in the Iphone X (10) 

This phone is essentially a dumbed down Galaxy s8 with no finger print scanner that costs almost £300 more

Why would anyone buy this when the Note 8 is £100 cheaper than it? you get more phone and more features. 

The reason this will sell is to people who want animate emojis which will quickly become boring and for simple people who can't their heads around the "complicated" AOS 

Honestly, hats off to Apple if this actually sells well considering facial regimentation didn't work properly last night 

5 minutes ago, JackDoyne said:

Why would anyone buy this when the Note 8 is £100 cheaper than it? you get more phone and more features. 

One could argue that Apple's A11 is faster, but do you really need that much performance? It's a phone, you aren't going to be playing any (super intensive) games or editing videos on it. :P

Features are more important when buying a smartphone IMHO and the Note8 has more features.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

5 minutes ago, JackDoyne said:

Oh cute, Apple rolled out yet another overpriced smart phone last night, 

As someone who's used an Iphone i really cannot see why anyone would invest in the Iphone X (10) 

This phone is essentially a dumbed down Galaxy s8 with no finger print scanner that costs almost £300 more

The reason this will sell is to people who want animate emojis which will quickly become boring and for simple people who can't their heads around the "complicated" AOS 

Honestly, hats off to Apple if this actually sells well considering facial regimentation didn't work properly last night 

gimmicky phone, chavvy idiots who have no consideration for proper stuff buy it. and the facial recog didnt work if you looked you needed to use the pin first time you turn on the phone....

subscribe to pewdiepie

You're opening yourself up to hate comments with a post like that, I don't understand the logic behind the phone either but then again that just means the phone isn't for me 

They had some cool features on there iphone, I dont follow the phone industry religiously compared to computer hardware but they made me interested

1 minute ago, Merp83 said:

gimmicky phone, chavvy idiots who have no consideration for proper stuff buy it. and the facial recog didnt work if you looked you needed to use the pin first time you turn on the phone....

Every company makes you use your PIN first time, turn off your own phone and restart it you won't be allowed use your fingerprint etc only a pin or password

1 minute ago, Radioactive Snowman said:

You're opening yourself up to hate comments with a post like that, I don't understand the logic behind the phone either but then again that just means the phone isn't for me 

Nah, i just feel most of the people on here have a high enough level of intelligence to know the difference between a good phone and a bad phone xD 

Just cause you don't like it, it doesn't mean that others don't. Whilst I'm not a fan of Apple, I can appreciate their innovation and how 'different' this phone is from any before. 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

Updated "modernized look" with a screen built by Samsung same updated Apple OS environment costs alot face ID being the primary locking mechanism we'll see how that plays out...think that covers the big things. 

All in all if you prefer apple you'll probably like it if you can afford it which at 1000 USD is a big if for some.  If you are a Android user going for a premium option you'll probably still stick with android.

2 minutes ago, Radioactive Snowman said:

Every company makes you use your PIN first time, turn off your own phone and restart it you won't be allowed use your fingerprint etc only a pin or password

thats what i said, it seems you are implying a contradiction, I just didnt go talking about other companies.

subscribe to pewdiepie

1 minute ago, Merp83 said:

thats what i said, it seems you are implying a contradiction, I just didnt go talking about other companies.

No but he's right, My s8 demands i enter my pin to unlock it after restarting or powering on 

Making the Phones too fast, they should slow down.

If you need help on used parts, contact me. I'm an used enthusiast.

Open the spoiler to see some cool stuff!

Spoiler

My old/new tech Collection!

CPUs (11)

Intel Pentium III @ 733Mhz (Oldest of the Bunch)

Intel Pentium 4 @ 2.8Ghz (2002)

Intel Pentium 4 @ 3.0Ghz (2003)

AMD Sempron 64 2800+ @ 1.6Ghz (2004, Aug)

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ @ 2.2Ghz (2004, Jun)

2X Intel Xeon X5355 @ 2.66Ghz (2006, Q4)

Intel Pentium E2140 @ 1.6Ghz (2007, Q2)

Intel Xeon E5630 @ 2.53Ghz (2010, Q1)

Intel Core2 Duo E8400 @ 3Ghz (2008, Q1) (In use, @ 3.61Ghz)

Intel Pentium E6500 @ 2.93Ghz (2008, Q1)

GPUs (6)

Palit GeForce 6800 GS (Should be working, AGP 8X)

Club 3D GTS 450 (Working, PCI-e 16x)

Sapphire Radeon X800GTO (Working, PCI-e 16x)

Nvidia GeForce 4 (Last time worked, AGP 4X)

Nvidia GeForce FX (No idea, AGP 4X)

Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 OC (Semi-dead, PCI-e 16x)

Ram (1)

No idea of the brand or Socket (Whopping 16 Mb memory)

Cables (1)

CrossFire X Cable

26 minutes ago, JackDoyne said:

I can think of some reasons why:

• Timely over the air software updates especially critical updates for vulnerabilities. Extended support tend to last for five years. No Android phone does have that duration for support because the hardware and software came from the same company.
  • Support for MDM vendors for corporate use 
  • iPhones tend to have higher resale values than most Android phones (via Gazelle: iPhone 7+ trade-in price at $315 vs Galaxy S7 Edge trade-in price at only $170)
  • The iPhone, the iPad and a Mac work seamlessly together via continuity 
  • AppleCare for extended warranty 
  • Apple maybe conservative when they add features but when they do, they tend to get it right. Just look at Touch ID. While the iPhone 5s is not the first smartphone to add fingerprint scanning they got it right first. Remember the fingerprint scanner of the Motorola Atrix 4G which barely worked as well as the swipe pad fingerprint scanner of the Galaxy S5 which only works half the time?
  • While some may argue that the iPhone's camera is not the best, but it's automatic mode is one of the best.

But personally, I think the iPhone X is sort of a hybrid of an Android phone and a Palm Pre running webOS from 2009. While I think it's good that they're adding features from other phones, I still find it expensive at $1000. Am I buying an iPhone X? No. If I'm getting a new iPhone, I'd rather get the 8+ or the 7+ which is cheaper now. The 8 and 8+ actually feels like an iPhone 7s and 7s+.

Edited by hey_yo_

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

9 minutes ago, JackDoyne said:

No but he's right, My s8 demands i enter my pin to unlock it after restarting or powering on 

yes but i never said other brands dont.... whuut?

subscribe to pewdiepie

I understand their want/lust for making what is a special phone for them and sure some will buy it, would I personally buy it? Nope, but I am also in the boat where I think 700$ is too much for a phone, I like my phones to be sub 500$. I am simply not the type of customer Apple is going after. I would rather put the money towards a really nice business laptop or some nice audio equipment. 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

android is so much better, you have so much more freedom and you don't have to pay for every little thing, honestly I think if anyone's going to get this phone they'll just be wasting their money

iOS is the main reason I use iPhone, and it will continue to be until android phones can be updated on a timely basis and have a decent alternative to facetime baked-in. Also it seems that Androids tend to be less cryptographically secure and have issues more often, where as ever since my first iPhone (4S) I've never encountered a single problem that couldn't be fixed with a restart. My biggest issue with iPhone at the moment is battery life, but this is easily fixed with a battery case that extends battery life far beyond android devices. 

As for the Iphone X, I would not buy it even though my 6S is getting old because of the facial recognition. It doesn't work when you're not looking at it, and I need to use my phone for navigation while I'm driving and Siri is horrible at directions. Right now, I have the muscle memory to unlock and select what I need to select w/ touch ID without having to look at it, but facial recognition makes it impossible for me to do that without looking away from the road 1 or 2 seconds. Side rant - Siri was ahead of it's time when it came out in 2011, but Apple has done jack shit with it the past 6 years and it's fallen far behind Alexa and Google now. If Apple actually made meaningful improvements to Siri, then maybe I'd consider the iPhone X.

As for the Iphone 8, meh, it looks like a better 6S (without headphone jack of course). I'll probably get that. 

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

I like the speed, the camera and video options, the storage capacity, the facial recognition they employ, and the overall security it offers. While SRetina isn't something i'd personally appreciate, and the notch at the top is going to drive me nuts to watch video, i think the benefits of what it offers over my Moto X Pure is worth the upgrade cost.

They might not be the first, but they deff. do it best.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

42 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

One could argue that Apple's A11 is faster, but do you really need that much performance? It's a phone, you aren't going to be playing any (super intensive) games or editing videos on it. :P

Features are more important when buying a smartphone IMHO and the Note8 has more features.

This is what i thought, It has an oled screen... The first thing that i thought about when i heard that were the Oled Tv's. Spending so much for a phone doesn't make sense to me.

Don't get me wrong i liked the simplicity of an Iphone and still would recommend an Iphone to anyone who tech knowledge is limited, and wants a simple phone to use that's snappy and has an outstanding camera

as techy point of view android is the best it offer far more customization and features when compared to an Iphone, based on the fact Iphones will always be premium priced phone even if they don't cutting edge specs like Samsung offer for less 

I think it's really stupid to have the 8 and 10 launch so close to each other. We get a purposely gimped update with the 8 being the usual boring fair and then we get an actual upgrade over the 7 with the 10.

It'd be like if Coffee Lake came out 2 months after Kaby. It's really, really dumb.

I'm not someone who is against Apple or one of those people who completely hate it and love Android either, I like what Apple has done over the years and thus inspired other companies to fall in line with their thinking. I think that the iPhone X is an incredible phone BUT, when you start to look at phones in lower price ranges you start to really process how much the IX is. For example, The new Note from Samsung is cheaper and there are many similarities between the two phones and between the IX and other phones by other companies. It is a good phone, i am not denying that but it WILL be out of many people's price ranges. Before the event yesterday i couldn't believe how expensive the I7 was having owned a Huawei P9 Lite and being happy with the performance for a much lower price.

6 minutes ago, JackDoyne said:

Don't get me wrong i liked the simplicity of an Iphone and still would recommend an Iphone to anyone who tech knowledge is limited, and wants a simple phone to use that's snappy and has an outstanding camera

as techy point of view android is the best it offer far more customization and features when compared to an Iphone, based on the fact Iphones will always be premium priced phone even if they don't cutting edge specs like Samsung offer for less 

Oh yeah, I agree with this, With the new A11 chip we can only imagine what the performance of the new iPhones will be like, We've had very responsive and snappy phones from Apple for some time now, As you said i would definitely recommend the apple products for people that have less knowledge in Technology than some of us do due to Apples phones and other devices being "easy". With android, the phones give you more functionality and i feel like i am more control of my phone rather than if i had an iPhone, unfortunately, having said all of this, Android phones ARE following Apple's footsteps as they have done for years now. This doesn't go to say that the functionality is gone or anything, it still remains but moves towards a more "Apple" approach. 

7 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

I think it's really stupid to have the 8 and 10 launch so close to each other. We get a purposely gimped update with the 8 being the usual boring fair and then we get an actual upgrade over the 7 with the 10.

I'd be like if Coffee Lake came out 2 months after Kaby. It's really, really dumb.

Yup, I saw a tweet this morning from someone: 

And i couldn't agree more. It seems like many people will go for the I10 over the 8 and i myself did not understand it either. I'm pretty sure the reason we've even got an iPhone X/10 yest is because it is/ will be 10 years since the announcement/release of the first iPhone or something like that.