Am I an asshole?

Plank
Go to solution Solved by Spork829,

Maybe a bit? Not the nicest thing to do but I wouldn't call you 'part of the problem' or anything because new cards for prices lower than the used ones are not easy to come by.

Hey,

so because of the gpu prices that are still too high and me generally looking for another gpu (the 1080 failed heh) I was looking at the deals page of the store I am buying my parts off. I saw that once or twice per day they sell new RX 480/580's (strix, g1, Red Devils..) for 240-249€. I thought "Man thats nice" so I got two of them and wanted to use one - sell the other. Then I saw that they even sell one or two gtx 980 ti's for 249-299€ sometimes lol and I thought I didn't see the product right but yea... so I also got 2 980 Ti's (super jetstream). I thought "people buy used ones for nearly 370€ here and Used 480/580's for 300+" so I sold the 980'ti's new for 370 and the Rx 480's for 330€. Since it's not ebay directly (translated something like "ebay small offerings" or so) people came to my place and one dude literally looked at one Rx 480 and wanted to buy it. Until he saw the bill where was written (249€) and the date 10.09.2017. so he said I am a fucking asshole to use the high prices to make profit out of it?? I mean what the fuck yea I am making some profit BUT I think it's fair enough because I sell those cards for the price people are willing to pay for used ones? Am I really an asshole because of this? It's free money I guess and those deals only have like 1-4 cards available usually so they are gone within minutes

-moved to off-topic-

Well, I'll leave you with something I heard from a comedian that I thought was rather funny and true:

You don't get to decide.  If someone tells you "you're an asshole", you can't turn around and say "no".  Like, "oh, ok, good thing I checked" 

xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

if it makes you feel any better, I would have done the same thing

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Maybe a bit? Not the nicest thing to do but I wouldn't call you 'part of the problem' or anything because new cards for prices lower than the used ones are not easy to come by.

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

not really an asshole, i would resell GPUs too.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

5 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

Well I mean yea...true it's not the nicest thing but I have to say that I am the one refreshing this deal page all day when I have the time for it I guess...it's also some kind of "work" or at least time investment huh

You went with a 580 over a 980 Ti?

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Doing this kind of trafficking contributes nothing to the society ... I mean if you had bought something and then improve on it, or refined it, that would be business (as in buy logs, turn them into houses -> profit). This is just lame, boring and annoying, and artificially pumps pumps up the price of things.

That being said, I think calling someone an asshole for doing this is a gross overstatement. As it stands out (and even apparent from this thread), there would have been other people that would have done the same thing, and similar things happen everywhere in current economic system(s) on a broader scale.

Just now, Pohernori said:

You went with a 580 over a 980 Ti?

Ew just using a 580 until i get another 980 ti, I am not a fan of Palit tbh. And last time I was late getting a strix 980 ti for 270€...just waiting for another brand I guess - will keep the 580 as a second card to use if something happens. Sooo only for a short amount of time I went with a 580 over a 980 ti, yes

i've seen this before recently, one guy bought 2 of the distributor's clearence stock of 980tis and tried selling them for $70-80 more. quite a few hate posts came soon afterwards. would have been fine if not abit annoyed at it if he wasn't nearly as cocky about it. i wouldn't call you an asshole though, i hate it but i also do it often :P

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

2 minutes ago, Wild Penquin said:

Doing this kind of trafficking contributes nothing to the society ... I mean if you had bought something and then improve on it, or refined it, that would be business (as in buy logs, turn them into houses -> profit). This is just lame, boring and annoying, and artificially pumps pumps up the price of things.

That being said, I think calling someone an asshole for doing this is a gross overstatement. As it stands out (and even apparent from this thread), there would have been other people that would have done the same thing, and similar things happen everywhere in current economic system(s) on a broader scale.

also considering that those deals are only available for like 1-4 cards at max (usually 1-2)? I mean it's kinda not cool, I know but somehow """fair""" for people buying it instead of getting a used one I think - could sell them for the same price as I bought 'em, but it's also some kind of time investment. Appreciate your answer :)

9 hours ago, Plank said:

Hey,

so because of the gpu prices that are still too high and me generally looking for another gpu (the 1080 failed heh) I was looking at the deals page of the store I am buying my parts off. I saw that once or twice per day they sell new RX 480/580's (strix, g1, Red Devils..) for 240-249€. I thought "Man thats nice" so I got two of them and wanted to use one - sell the other. Then I saw that they even sell one or two gtx 980 ti's for 249-299€ sometimes lol and I thought I didn't see the product right but yea... so I also got 2 980 Ti's (super jetstream). I thought "people buy used ones for nearly 370€ here and Used 480/580's for 300+" so I sold the 980'ti's new for 370 and the Rx 480's for 330€. Since it's not ebay directly (translated something like "ebay small offerings" or so) people came to my place and one dude literally looked at one Rx 480 and wanted to buy it. Until he saw the bill where was written (249€) and the date 10.09.2017. so he said I am a fucking asshole to use the high prices to make profit out of it?? I mean what the fuck yea I am making some profit BUT I think it's fair enough because I sell those cards for the price people are willing to pay for used ones? Am I really an asshole because of this? It's free money I guess and those deals only have like 1-4 cards available usually so they are gone within minutes

Moral of the story?

For god's sake, hide the damn invoice when you resell it!

Does that make you an asshole? Not really. Otherwise we would consider everyone who runs a 2nd hand business an "asshole".

That guy could have bought from the site you did. But he either couldn't find the deal, or chose not to deal with that site. That's on him.

He knew the price you were offering, and it was a good deal to him. What you paid for it is ultimately immaterial.

You don't get any moral high ground, but you're not a total douche.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Nope, you're just a cunt.*

*Didn't read OP. 

Edit: You didn't really do anything wrong here aside from leaving your invoice out. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

You might as well keep the RX580 until Volta now... 980ti is perfect and enough to skip Pascal by all means... but not worth the "small" jump RX 580 > GTX 980ti.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I'd see it more as you hurting the hobby you like overall, henceforth making your future chances of getting cards worst: By flipping GPUs for profit (and doing so openly) you basically send the message that you don't care about other people gaming and having fun too, you just want yours.

I know most forum members here will just say "That's capitalism and that somehow automatically validates any immoral behavior!" but I just do not agree: look at this forums and look at how many of the threads every day are for brand new users getting their first build or asking for advise for introductory builds for relatives and friends like "He needs a PC for work but he wants a basic GPU to maybe game a bit"

This is how people are introduced into the hobby: The kid that today has saved up whatever money he can muster from presents or odd jobs is looking to buy his first 570 gpu to start playing some games tomorrow will be a wealthier adult that spends thousands per years on GPU upgrades, Gsync monitors, mechanical keyboards, etc. 

I'm not even that big on community myself: I never play any online games anymore, I ignore friend requests or group requests on Steam, I barely talk about PCs outside of this forums even. But even I can see the value in fostering a bit of good will towards others so the hobby remains popular. If things keep going like this on the holiday season this year which is the biggest in terms of new hardware purchases, we might start seeing PC gaming in general lose traction. At least when it comes to AAA games there will be less interest and less people buying them since well, miners and hoarders have all the good cards anyway so people will remain on stupid mobas and other simpler games like that to be run on 1050s and then AAA titles will have weaker sales and less of an incentive to get released at all and so on.

-------

Current Rig

-------

11 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

You don't get to decide.

Maybe you don't, but Drak3 does, pyo.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 gpus won't jack up the prices significantly. If you were hoarding 50 and actually preventing people from buying them by draining the store's stock, then you'd be a bit of a dick.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

12 hours ago, Plank said:

Hey,

No, you're a capitalist. The assholes are the guys who post their old R7 370 for $250 with "OMFG AWESOME MINING $$$$$$$ SUPER CHEAP CRAZY ROI" and talk about how they're making crazy money with it and playing 1440p Minecraft on it in their spare time.

Yes, I've seen a Craigslist listing that was almost exactly that.

My viewpoint is one that would make many libertarian capitalists proud: the absolute value of an item is what two people agree it to be. If you and the store agree that the card is worth $X, then you and someone else agree that the card is worth $Y, you are not an asshole. You're simply recognizing an opportunity and seizing on it. I do the same thing at yard sales when I find an old Dell with an E8600 for $10, a 900p monitor for $5, a keyboard/mouse combo for $3 and speakers for $2, then toss in $10 worth of DDR2 and a $10 500GB HDD and sell the whole package off for $120 as a complete entry-level home PC setup. I'm making $80 on the deal, but if someone needs a PC setup for their house and this is better and cheaper than the $400 Pentium-N AIO at Walmart, then hey, the value of that setup is $120 regardless of what I agreed the individual components were worth at the various yard sales I got them from. Same logic applies to your cards. As long as you're advertising them honestly and accurately depicting what they are and what they're capable of, if someone buys one then realizes that they could have picked up the exact same thing for $100-ish less, that's on them, not you.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.