How do I stop my cat from chewing on wires?

orangecat

I just got a new phone 2 weeks ago and hes already chewed on the charging cable a bit. He also likes to nibble on other wires too.

Give it a scratch post? Where do you charge your phone? Keep it out of that room.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Keep him/her away from the wires? or make the wires out of reach.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

Give him an old extension cord. Let him chew on it to his heart's content. Make sure it's plugged in. When it shocks him, he'll stop. It won't kill him. He'd have to have 2 points of content that cross his heart for it to kill him. 

So, for a human, that'd be our two hands. Cats don't have an equivalent that matters. Sorry, should have clarified. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Make sure it's plugged in. When it shocks him, he'll stop. 

Haha that should work. ^_^

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

Give him an old extension cord. Let him chew on it to his heart's content. Make sure it's plugged in. When it shocks him, he'll stop. It won't kill him. He'd have to have 2 points of content that cross his heart for it to kill him. 

So, for a human, that'd be our two hands. Cats don't have an equivalent.

you what now?

hello

Slap the shit out of him.. Just kidding! maybe ducktape the wires together

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

Keep him/her away from the wires? or make the wires out of reach.

hes pretty long they would have to be 4 feet up the wall for him not to reach them LOL.

So, for a human, that'd be our two hands. Cats don't have an equivalent that matters. Sorry, should have clarified. 

SO MEAN!

Well positive punishment shoudl be the way to go. (If he does it again make something that he dosen't like) If he stops doing it give him fish or what not.

SO MEAN!

Lol. 

Sorry, I'm a fan of the whole penny -> lightsocket form of teaching. 

Like, I'd rather have him be in pain for a minute, than die chewing on something he shouldn't be. Ya never know. It's always better that something bad should happen in a controlled environment. 

Corporal punishment too. It's quickest and strongest to correct. You could put voltage limiters before the extension cable so that he is hit with something like 50 volts or less. 110 is dangerous but only if it goes through your heart. 220 is actually less dangerous because it makes you fly off of it. So you can't hold on.

People may say I'm mean, but positive reinforcement does not teach fear and fear teaches caution. And you should definitely fear and be cautious when dealing with electricity from a wall. 

Just saying. Positive reinforcement is good. But not when dealing with something that could potentially kill you. And yes, I get it's a cat, but tbh that just makes my argument stronger imo. He doesn't need to understand it. Only fear it. So he doesn't die or destroy things he shouldn't.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

beat him

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

you can't, cats aren't stupid like dogs. If you try to correct their behaviour they look just down their noses at you as if to say "try it punk".  There is a reason why all the evil villains of the world have cats.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

You don't.

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

you can't, cats aren't stupid like dogs. If you try to correct their behaviour they look just down their noses at you as if to say "try it punk".  There is a reason why all the evil villains of the world have cats.

xD This made me laugh

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

Is it a cat or a kitten?  If it is a kitten it may be teething and getting it something it can safely chew on might stop it from going after your cables.  If it is a cat I would suggest getting something to put around the cable so that it can't get at it to chew, alternatively you could mix some hot sauce with water and spray it on the cable (when it isn't plugged in and let dry) so that when it chews on the cable it tastes awful.

My GFs cat doesn't chew cables but we gave her a dog rope toy and she chews on that and plays with it, she loves the stupid thing and it was a couple dollars at Walmart.  My kitten when it was little would chew on cables and I spent money on cable management stuff (braided surround) and used aluminum foil on some cables, they don't like chewing that stuff.  I was also very strict on correcting the cat when caught in the act, you can't punish them later (you'll only confuse them) but if you catch them doing it you need to correct them immediately. 

Good luck.

Edit: don't bother with "cat repellant" that stuff is worthless.  I tried several kinds and they didn't do anything...

I just got a new phone 2 weeks ago and hes already chewed on the charging cable a bit. He also likes to nibble on other wires too.

Bite the cat, show it who the alpha male is,You could coat the wires in something that tastes awful.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

coat the wires in pepper spray or hotsause, that will stop it

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

Bitter apple stuff they have it for cats and dogs. There is also tabasco as an option.

So dogs are stupid? You must have never owned a dog. They're very intelligent and much more affectionate than cats.

Who doesn't get a smile from their little buddy waiting at the door wagging its little tail when you get home?

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

So dogs are stupid? You must have never owned a dog. They're very intelligent and much more affectionate than cats.

Who doesn't get a smile from their little buddy waiting at the door wagging its little tail when you get home?

My cats are far more affecrionate than any dogs ive had. As for waiting at the door wagging their tails, this is something that all of my cats do.