Spotify Web Player no longer supports Safari as they move to use Widevine CDM in Web Player. Music DRM in your browser??!!

AlTech
7 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

But going back on topic, what is the idea of DRM for streaming? That you don't somehow store the song for indefinite offline playback? I mean, I guess it's possible, but why would anyone do that? Piracy is so much easier than that nowadays. This would be like the modern day version of tape-recording songs from the radio

It's possible that they had to do it in order to retain licenses from certain publishers.

4 hours ago, coolkingler1 said:

Chromebook users. (not sure if there is an app though, don't have a Chromebook myself) 

It works for Chromebook users cos the whole Chrome OS is a DRM machine.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

9 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

It works for Chromebook users cos the whole Chrome OS is a DRM machine.

Idk, I just known my little sister has once and she uses the webplayer. 

4 hours ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

Who uses the web player anyway?

With web player and adblock you get no adds. SOOOO.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

3 hours ago, 2Buck said:

winamp master race

Winamp was the only player I would ever use for events (had a very good plugin for controlling files with different levels).  Now I just plug a phone/mp3 player in and compress the shit out of it. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

6 hours ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

I don't really care as long as I can still listen to music.

Exactly, Spotify is free to stream music so why would anyone "steal" the music from it? 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

5 hours ago, Jito463 said:

Am I the only one who actually buys CDs and rips them myself?

Then how do you find new music?

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

28 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

Exactly, Spotify is free to stream music so why would anyone "steal" the music from it? 

There is a paid tier. Someone could try to acquire the higher quality streamed files if they wanted to.

Personally I just pay and listen to music.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

There is a paid tier. Someone could try to acquire the higher quality streamed files if they wanted to.

Personally I just pay and listen to music.

Does the paid actually give higher quality streams? from my understanding, the only difference is no ads and you can play what ever you like on mobile.

1 minute ago, vorticalbox said:

Does the paid actually give higher quality streams? from my understanding, the only difference is no ads and you can play what ever you like on mobile.

Extreme 320k is only for premium

idk

Just now, Droidbot said:

Extreme 320k is only for premium

fair enough but the free stream is the perfectly fine quality most people wouldn't be able to hear the difference anyway. 

2 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

fair enough but the free stream is the perfectly fine quality most people wouldn't be able to hear the difference anyway. 

We live in a generation where people are growing up listening to music on knockoff earpods and not noticing the difference from the good iPhone 6S DAC to the external DAC on the iPhone 7 that sounds like it's coming out of an $1 DAC that kills your headphones.

idk

56 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

Yes.

Free version = 160Kbit/s bitrate (on Mobile you can use lower quality though)

Paid version = 320Kbit/s bitrate (this needs to be enabled though cos by default it isn't enabled for paid subscribers)

53 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

I got tired of creepy Chinese 7/11 ADs for weird vegetarian things ....

I'm not vegetarian, I don't like ADs and I don't speak Cantonese -_-.

I didn't like Spotify anyway. I like to own my music especially if I'm paying for it.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 hour ago, Mihle said:

Then how do you find new music?

Things called Radio, the recommended section of online stores, physical stores carrying dozens of optiobs per genre at the minimum.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

If I was to go through the trouble of pirating through Spotify, I'd probably also go through the trouble of actually pirating right.

Nice try, Google and Spotify, but you can't make up a retarded reason for this.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 hour ago, Jito463 said:

I don't understand the question.  Are you implying that pirating music is the only way to find new songs?  As @Drak3 posted, the radio is a good source for new music.

No, I am saying Spotify or other streaming progrtams is a good way to find new songs.
I have never pirated music and I never will. Who do you think I am?

2 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Things called Radio, the recommended section of online stores, physical stores carrying dozens of optiobs per genre at the minimum.

Radio? Radio is so bad, lots of adds, cant skip songs if something that you dont like comes, cant pause if you dont have time to check what the name of a song is right then because you have to do something....
How do you manage?

Finding music I dont know about is the reason why I use Spotify, and when i first have it, whats the point buying albums on top of that?
But if there actually is another way to find new music that isnt bad, then that might change.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Spotify is amazing in the fact I have my saved playlists available to me at work, in the car, and at home... as well as any other device I decide I want Spotify on. Sure, it's nice to have my own collection of music at home but for ease of use and browsing new artists... it's by far the best way to find good music aside from word of mouth.

46 minutes ago, Mihle said:

No, I am saying Spotify or other streaming progrtams is a good way to find new songs.
I have never pirated music and I never will. Who do you think I am?

Because if you follow the thread, the post I was responding to was a person discussing piracy.  Hence my confusion.

What a surprise... Apple refuses to support widely used de facto-standards and only support their own (FairPlay).

I absolutely hate DRM, but I really don't see how this is Google's fault (as OP tries to spin it). Widevine is fairly harmless as far as DRM goes since it is neither locked to a specific platform, nor specific programs. Anyone can implement support for it if they so desire. Pretty sure Spotify has always had DRM for the music too, so it's not like that has changed either.

"Spotify removes DRM" would have been great news. I don't see the big deal with these news though.

Not to defend DRM, since it's kind of scummy and I loathe it, but I see this as probably not being spotify's fault. The music industry as a whole, particularly large publishing companies, are no different than the movie industry. They put tons of pressure on companies to try and force DRM, absolutely terrified of piracy. Spotify has also been in a very precarious position since it started, as far as licensing and pricing go, giving these big companies a direct way to control it.

Our media industry is f-ed up, and this is likely just another instance of them pressuring and forcing a company into compliance.

On 9/10/2017 at 11:06 PM, AluminiumTech said:

DRM on the web is not going to combat piracy. A good product which is actually worth buying will combat piracy.

People will still download shit for free if they are able to. A good product worth buying doesnt mean people will pay for it, especially knowing its free through piracy. 

DRM was to combat piracy first which over time got worse and worse as piracy got better and better. Piracy is the cause for this bullshit but everyone blames DRM.

Also 9.99 a month for a service with unlimited music, no ads, custom playlist and great sound quality is a good product in my book.

Want to know the best part? Pirates are not affected, at all, by this retarded DRM scheme. Aside from the fact the vast majority of that music can be found and downloaded from youtube without any effort, all a pirate has to do to put the tracks online is buy the DRM free discs you can find in any music store and rip them. I was actually considering a spotify subscription, but after seeing this they have definitely lost a potential customer. Let them keep sticking their head deep into their butts, then laugh when they wonder why they went bankrupt despite "fighting" those pesky pirates.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*