Spotify Web Player no longer supports Safari as they move to use Widevine CDM in Web Player. Music DRM in your browser??!!

AlTech

Spotify thinks that you are a bunch of sailors with a bottle of rum and carry a big black flag with a skull on it.. Aka Pirates.

Spotify recently moved their recently updated Web Player to use Widevine CDM, a controversial mechanism aimed at combating piracy. Widevince CDM has been supported in Edge, Firefox, Chrome and Opera for a while. Apple hasn't implemented Widevine into Safari as of this yet and thus Safari users will be unable to play back content in Spotify Web Player.

This is another step at companies trying to control activities of its users and frankly is disgusting behavior. Widevine CDM has been included in the Spotify Desktop app for a while now (if not since its inception).

Spotify’s Web Player no longer supports Safari, reportedly due to “recent updates” made to the browser, according to Engadget.

The company’s system requirements page now states that it only supports Chrome, Firefox, Edge, and Opera. A customer service representative confirmed the change to the forum users, saying that “after recent updates, Safari is no longer a supporter browser for Web Player,” and but wouldn’t say “if or when any specific features will be back.”

French site Mac Generation (via Engadget) speculated that the change could be due to a plugin that Spotify uses called Widevine Content Decryption Module, which Safari doesn’t support.

Would you like to guess who owns this lovely piece of DRM? Google.

That scares me a bit and it should scare you cos one day Google will probably abuse this.

DRM on the web is not going to combat piracy. A good product which is actually worth buying will combat piracy.

Source:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/10/16283494/spotify-web-player-safari-browser-support-apple

http://www.widevine.com/

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Who uses the web player anyway?

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

Just now, ShadowTechXTS said:

Anybody using the Xbox One App does and anybody playing a Spotify song not in a Spotify App.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

Btw, the DRM is also in all currently Supported Spotify apps.

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

Btw, the DRM is also in all currently Supported Spotify apps.

I don't really care as long as I can still listen to music.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

And this. This is fucking why I hate DRM. 

Spotify is yet another service added to my list of shitty dumb platforms. 

I'll stick to my fuckin downloaded mp3-320s. No DRM, plays on EVERYTHING UNDER THE SUN. 

Stream them over Plex from my server. 

idk

I hate Safari and Apple in general but I'm gonna take the "I may not agree with what you say but I'll defend to the death your right to say it" approach here and say that's no cool, they should definitely still be supporting it.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Fuck Spotify then, moving to deezer

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

10 minutes ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

Me.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

17 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

I'll stick to my fuckin downloaded mp3-320s

downloaded from Google Play/Amazon/iTunes ofc

/s

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

2 minutes ago, Shiv78 said:

downloaded from Google Play/Amazon/iTunes ofc

all from Soulseek or pirated

idk

20 minutes ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

Chromebook users. (not sure if there is an app though, don't have a Chromebook myself) 

19 minutes ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

I don't I use Spotify on their desktop and mobile apps anyway so it's not a big issue for me. I bet majority of Mac users are also using the desktop app anyway because the Web player is meh.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

all from Soulseek or pirated

my bad forgot the /s

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

Not to be that guy, but if you're streaming..why does it matter? lol

When I want a song, I go and buy the song and have a local copy. If I'm streaming, I let music play for a bit and not think much else of it.

19 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Not to be that guy, but if you're streaming..why does it matter? lol

When I want a song, I go and buy the song and have a local copy. If I'm streaming, I let music play for a bit and not think much else of it.

You'll think about it if it doesn't work :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Jito463 said:

Am I the only one who actually buys CDs and rips them myself?

My dad has like a 1000+ CD collection all ripped into MP3-320, but I don't have the time nor money to bother with that. 

idk

It's probably the record labels pushing this. Like with the movie industry, they want to stick DRM up everyone's butt.

The only other real option is to manage your own music library locally. Vote with your wallet boys. 

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

Spotify thinks that you are a bunch of sailors with a bottle of rum and carry a big black flag with a skull on it.. Aka Pirates.

In my case spotify would not be incorrect.

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

DRM on the web is not going to combat piracy. A good product which is actually worth buying will combat piracy.

the music industry thinks I actually like the crap they are producing today. I was watching the music video channel while working the other day and it all looked like propaganda to me. Why would I pay for that?

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

2 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

I tend to track down the lossless files of what I want (usually via Bandcamo, HDTracks, etc), though I recently had a CD imported from Japan as well. If those fail, then I resort to Amazon as I find their .mp3 mastering to be superior to Google's, and if all else fails, its time to break out the pirate flag.

Of the pirate category, only the soundtrack for my favorite anime was truly warranted, as availability for the CDs was limited only to Japan (no digital versions were ever made available and in fact was released before digital music took off), and production of the CDs wasn't very big to begin with, meaning importing them would be extremely expensive. Even finding the rips took a great deal of time, though once I had them, I made certain to back them up several times over as I'm not keen on going to that part of the internet again.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

26 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

nope, I do that too. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

winamp master race

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

Am I the only one who

1 hour ago, Jito463 said:

Same. I bought MP3 albums twice, but then decided that it actually only made sense to me to get the CD, then rip. Also, in some cases I can buy the CDs from the artists, while the MP3s were available through Amazon (or other intermediaries)

But going back on topic, what is the idea of DRM for streaming? That you don't somehow store the song for indefinite offline playback? I mean, I guess it's possible, but why would anyone do that? Piracy is so much easier than that nowadays. This would be like the modern day version of tape-recording songs from the radio :P