'flip-flop' design makes quantum computers more affordabe

okay so the issue with quntam computers is that they require so much rsearch,preperation,time,money and detailed manufacturing to enable the 'quantam entanglement' to happen. so using this new technique we could start to see a future with more affordable quantam computers on silicon chips

https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/06/flip-flop-quantum-computer-design/

Australian researchers have developed a new chip design that could be built using the same silicon technology that you see in use today.

2 minutes ago, BlazingBlob said:

solicon chips

It spells the word silicon right in the quote...

on topic, I thought that quantum computers were only useful for encryption and weather?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

I'm not convinced yet that consumers will find quantum computers very useful.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Just now, Shreyas1 said:

on topic, I thought that quantum computers were only useful for encryption and weather?

I imagine quantum computers are useful for any task where you can have multiple answers.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

4 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

okay, thanks for letting me know, i just corrected it, and yes you are correct, but this was the same for general use computers (silicon based) before it was made affordable. it may not have been encryption but it was only used for research, maintaining business systems etc. 

i think we will see quantam computers go down the same path of being used for research, then used for business systems then eventually enter the consumer market once it becomes affordable enough

5 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I imagine quantum computers are useful for any task where you can have multiple answers.

If anything, they're good for a class of problems that take too long for regular computers to solve. But I don't think they're good for all problems.

Quantum Computing (theoretically) offers some new options for cryptography... possibly allowing for improved encryption schemes at the consumer/business level. 

Also... possibly allowing for more impressive crypto-cracking :/  --double edged sword I suppose. Then again, maybe I don't understand the tech enough. :P 

1 hour ago, Eclypseon said:

Quantum Computing (theoretically) offers some new options for cryptography... possibly allowing for improved encryption schemes at the consumer/business level. 

Also... possibly allowing for more impressive crypto-cracking :/  --double edged sword I suppose. Then again, maybe I don't understand the tech enough. :P 

start using characters from every language used in the Universe. 

improved encryption schemes at the corperate level, we'll see prosumer quantum computers in maybe 4-6 decades? 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

3 minutes ago, themctipers said:

improved encryption schemes at the corperate level, we'll see prosumer quantum computers in maybe 4-6 decades? 

this is all reliant on the demand from the consumers though. if there is demand an effort will be made by the manufacures to create more affordable ones

11 minutes ago, themctipers said:

True story. But we've been surprised by the speed of new technology before. 

7 minutes ago, BlazingBlob said:

this is all reliant on the demand from the consumers though. if there is demand an effort will be made by the manufacures to create more affordable ones

more affordable ones are always being made, but to be able to push it to the prosumer level you are probably going to have to lower the cost to under $1000, have it perform good and not complete shit, have good yields because there are going to be many people buying, and also make sure it is stable. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, Eclypseon said:

True story. But we've been surprised by the speed of new technology before. 

i haven't 

im just guessing. :P 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

3 minutes ago, Eclypseon said:

@themctipers

Well you has 9000 posts on LTT... you is tech news guru :P 

#NeverSurpisedEver

8988*

25e2347cd79eb19a907b223e0e2902c4.png

most of it is shitposts.

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

2 minutes ago, themctipers said:

8988*

25e2347cd79eb19a907b223e0e2902c4.png

most of it is shitposts.

how is that location treating you?

did you move out or are you still there?

2 minutes ago, BlazingBlob said:

how is that location treating you?

did you move out or are you still there?

it's soon...TM inside a noose.

soon. 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

In all seriousness... 

In spite of a passable knowledge on the subject (Chem/Premed Postgrad student) I'm not sure how the Quantum Computing advances will overcome some basic obstacles... like software that can manage an indeterminate processor/instruction state. To be clear, not that software can't handle variables like that, but how it will interact with a 'moving target' per se.

8 minutes ago, Eclypseon said:

In all seriousness... 

In spite of a passable knowledge on the subject (Chem/Premed Postgrad student) I'm not sure how the Quantum Computing advances will overcome some basic obstacles... like software that can manage an indeterminate processor/instruction state. To be clear, not that software can handle variables like that, but how it will interact with a 'moving target' per se.

so the BIOS? the OS? im unsure what your asking

4 hours ago, BlazingBlob said:

so the BIOS? the OS? im unsure what your asking

More along the lines of the machine language that would run on a quantum processor. How do you hand a calculation to a processor that spits out indeterminate answers?

I'm probably out of my depth here. But my basic understanding of QC is that the utilization of the Heisenberg principle of uncertainty allows the electrons' quantum position to be in many places at once. Thus, if the electrons are serving as the qubit (or non-binary bit), how does a traditional machine language (that generally needs to know "is it a 1 or 0"?) accept outputs from a quantum processor that's able to receive/deliver both 1 and 0 at the same time?

This article talks a bit more about the math (calculus) and some of the programming.

https://medium.com/@decodoku/how-to-program-a-quantum-computer-982a9329ed02

(Not sure of the academics behind it. Take with grain of salt.)

Edited by Eclypseon
Added link to conceptual article on quantum computing.

1 hour ago, Eclypseon said:

More along the lines of the machine language that would run on a quantum processor. How do you hand a calculation to a processor that spits out indeterminate answers?

I'm probably out of my depth here. But my basic understanding of QC is that the utilization of the Heisenberg principle of uncertainty allows the electrons' quantum position to be in many places at once. Thus, if the electrons are serving as the qubit (or non-binary bit), how does a traditional machine language (that generally needs to know "is it a 1 or 0"?) accept outputs from a quantum processor that's able to receive/deliver both 1 and 0 at the same time?

This article talks a bit more about the math (calculus) and some of the programming.

https://medium.com/@decodoku/how-to-program-a-quantum-computer-982a9329ed02

(Not sure of the academics behind it. Take with grain of salt.)

ahh I see what you mean,

I guess that's where the business systems would come in, quantum computers would be brilliant for decision support systems,  because of the as u said an indeterminate answer, a decision support system only gives possibilities not a final decision

and if quantum computers were to go to consumers, then the operating systems would definitely need to be able to distinguish what the result that the CPU spits out.

Quantum computers are ideal to solve non-polynomial problems like the travelling salesman problem or for example prime factorization of large numbers (as in cryptography applications). They'd be a way out of our P-NP dilemma without actually cracking the problem itself. Pretty nifty.

It won't make your games run faster … at all … in any case … you wouldn't even be able to run it since the whole algorithmic logic that quantum computers are based on is not compatible with regular programming languages let alone machine code because those are solely focused on binary systems.

So no, it can't run Crysis …

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

1 hour ago, bowrilla said:

Quantum computers are ideal to solve non-polynomial problems like the travelling salesman problem or for example prime factorization of large numbers (as in cryptography applications). They'd be a way out of our P-NP dilemma without actually cracking the problem itself. Pretty nifty.

It won't make your games run faster … at all … in any case … you wouldn't even be able to run it since the whole algorithmic logic that quantum computers are based on is not compatible with regular programming languages let alone machine code because those are solely focused on binary systems.

So no, it can't run Crysis …

Thanks, I had forgotten about the Traveling Salesman. Like Crypto, that makes much more sense as a QC application. Very 'deep-learning' type problems. 

Why do I feel like quantum computing just poses a threat humanity?

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -