Data Contract for Europe and U.K. Tour

darth_626

Hi all. 

So so my family and I are going away to Europe and the U.K. In the next few months and I would like to get a SIM card with a data contract on it. 

The need for it is that my parents aren't very tech savvy and they don't really understand how to connect to wifi hotspots. So to avoid this I would like to purchase a data contract on a SIM card which will be placed inside a wifi emitting device (like those potable wifi hotspot devices that you place a SIM card in). 

I plan to use 2 of these devices so that we're not stuck to one. 

It will also allow us to call each other and family from wherever we are if we get separated. 

Please se can you let me know of which isp's are good and have good coverage in Italy, France and England as well as what contacts they offer. A link to their websites would also be very helpful. 

I am from South Africa as a side note. 

Thank you very much for your time and have a wonderful day!

I have and use a "mi-fi" dongle, but it is rather old so I'm hesitant to comment further about it. If you're ok with mobile access only, for the UK part, I can suggest Three's pay as you go plan. This is what I actually use myself. I think you can pick up a SIM from their stores which are in most large towns/cities. You have to pay into it to have a working balance, but the data rate is 1p (£0.01) per MB. So if you load on £10 that's 1GB of data. Note however I think they forbid tethering on this plan so you can't use it with devices other than the one it is fitted in. Check small print if this is important.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

54 minutes ago, darth_626 said:

Hi all. 

So so my family and I are going away to Europe and the U.K. In the next few months and I would like to get a SIM card with a data contract on it. 

The need for it is that my parents aren't very tech savvy and they don't really understand how to connect to wifi hotspots. So to avoid this I would like to purchase a data contract on a SIM card which will be placed inside a wifi emitting device (like those potable wifi hotspot devices that you place a SIM card in). 

I plan to use 2 of these devices so that we're not stuck to one. 

It will also allow us to call each other and family from wherever we are if we get separated. 

Please se can you let me know of which isp's are good and have good coverage in Italy, France and England as well as what contacts they offer. A link to their websites would also be very helpful. 

I am from South Africa as a side note. 

Thank you very much for your time and have a wonderful day!

i think the EU has decided that roaming in EU countries should be included, so you should be able to pick up a prepaid sim pack, though these typically give less data than regular subscription services, but i would check for prepaid cards in the first country you come to and double check that roaming in EU is included

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8GHZ
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING
Graphics Card: Inno3D ICHILL GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI X3 ULTRA
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 2x8GB @ 3GHZ
Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W 
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)
Cooling: Kraken X62 for CPU, Corsair H55 with NZXT Kraken G12 for GPU 

Vodafone had a 3gb for €20 prepaid pack when I was there a few months ago. The European has free roaming so it worked everywhere.

What is the first country you will be landing in?

1 hour ago, NZLaurence said:

Vodafone had a 3gb for €20 prepaid pack when I was there a few months ago. The European has free roaming so it worked everywhere.

What is the first country you will be landing in?

I will be landing in Italy then going to France and then London